Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Madone Makeover

Old 07-29-06, 01:05 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Madone Makeover

I bought Miss Lightweight (Trek 5900) with 10 speed DuraAce components. Since I installed the mountain bike rear derailleur and compact crank on Miss Lightweight I had all this nice 10 speed DuraAce stuff laying around.

Yesterday I converted the Madone from a 9 speed triple to a 10 speed double. I installed the 53/39 DuraAce crank that had been on Miss Lightweight on the Madone as it will be the bike I'll use around the house and for non-mountain rides.

I basically changed the whole drivetrain including derailleurs and right shifter. In addition I changed a couple cables to teflon coated cables while I was at it.

I still have "mismatched" left shifters as I left the triple shifter on the Madone just to make sure it would work on a double. It works perfectly by the way. Even the DuraAce gear indicator works fine with the 10 speed. I still need to trim off some of the cable sheath from the left shifter to the rear derailleur and will do that when I swap the shifters.

I took it out for a 62 mile ride this morning and it performed very, very well. To my surprise the shifting was just about perfect.........not sure how I managed to get everything tuned up so well. I did notice that the 53/39 crank is somewhat stiffer than the old Ultegra triple which is a good thing by the way. It's also a lot more gear than the compact crank. My legs were paying the price for being on vacation for a week!!

Now if I can just get my hands on some zero gravity brakes for Miss Lightweight I could move the DuraAce brakes to the Madone........where does it stop???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Side view 2.jpg (82.6 KB, 76 views)
Crank.jpg (72.0 KB, 32 views)
Rear Derailleur.jpg (79.5 KB, 28 views)
Cockpit.jpg (64.0 KB, 45 views)
Front view 1.jpg (36.7 KB, 19 views)
Rear View.jpg (38.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-29-06, 02:54 PM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sweet ride! I like the red tape, bag, and pedals; it's a cool contrast.
Old 07-29-06, 03:07 PM
centexwoody

Bikes: 2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are the two devices on your handlebar & handlebar stem? (as visible in lower left photo) Are they both chronometers or what?

BTW, I'm jealous of your wrenching expertise but congratulate you on the 'new' bike.
Old 07-29-06, 03:48 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

I hate people who know how to do this stuff. I can barely clean my bike. Nice job.
Old 07-29-06, 04:05 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
I hate people who know how to do this stuff. I can barely clean my bike. Nice job.
Mojo, it's okay. jppe lives in a parallel universe.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-29-06, 04:37 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by centexwoody
What are the two devices on your handlebar & handlebar stem? (as visible in lower left photo) Are they both chronometers or what?
The one on the handlebar is my Heart Rate monitor. It does the basics--actual HR, Max, Avg and also provides the duration in 3 Zones. I keep it on the clock setting while I ride which will also show the actual HR at the bottom of the screen.

The one on the stem is my cyclometer. It does all the typical cyclometer stuff including cadence, plus it has an altimeter and and thermometer. It will also show the % grade of a road as well. I usually keep it on the cadence setting but it also shows speed at the top of the screen.

Both are Ciclosport models that I picked up on eBay over a year ago for around $125 for both of them. I think that's pretty good value considering all the info I'm able to get. The cyclometer is also wireless capable and I have a wireless transmiter on the fork on my TT bike. I simple move the two devices around on my 3 bikes depending on which one I'm using. That makes the $125 and even better deal!!!

I'm not the best wrench but enjoy experimenting. Sometimes I wind up back at my LBS and let them laugh at me. Like the time I had the rear derailleur cable on the wrong side of the tightening nut-that was not in the instructions!!! Most of the work on a bike simply involves the use of a hex or allen wrench of some sort----and tie wraps and tape!!!

The red handlebar tape is borrowed from seeing pics of Chuck 5.2's Madone. Where is he btw??? I even have the red tires ready when these blue ones wear out.
Old 07-29-06, 05:24 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
It's hard to believe the Madone is your back up ride, it's beautiful.
Old 07-29-06, 08:02 PM
centexwoody

Bikes: 2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser

and you find that comforting?
Old 07-29-06, 08:13 PM
centexwoody

on the equipment

Originally Posted by jppe
The one on the handlebar is my Heart Rate monitor. It does the basics--actual HR, Max, Avg and also provides the duration in 3 Zones. I keep it on the clock setting while I ride which will also show the actual HR at the bottom of the screen.
So is that your wrist HRM hooked onto the handlebar somehow? I wear an HRM as a wristwatch so I know mine is wireless but I kinda like the version that attaches to the handlebar.

The one on the stem is my cyclometer. It does all the typical cyclometer stuff including cadence, plus it has an altimeter and and thermometer. It will also show the % grade of a road as well. I usually keep it on the cadence setting but it also shows speed at the top of the screen.
My cyclometer doesn't do cadence (nor half of those other things either) and I've wondered when riders talk about their cadence at 90-100 or 80-90 or whatever, how they knew what their cadence was. Guess they must be using this kind of cyclometer to be able to tell.
Old 07-29-06, 09:15 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by centexwoody
So is that your wrist HRM hooked onto the handlebar somehow? I wear an HRM as a wristwatch so I know mine is wireless but I kinda like the version that attaches to the handlebar.

My cyclometer doesn't do cadence (nor half of those other things either) and I've wondered when riders talk about their cadence at 90-100 or 80-90 or whatever, how they knew what their cadence was. Guess they must be using this kind of cyclometer to be able to tell.
You are correct that the HR monitor is hooked onto the handlebar. An adaptor came with it that allows it to be hooked to the bar. Basically it just "bulks" up the area under the strap so it fits snugly.

If you'd like to know your cadence, Cateye makes an inexpensive cyclometer with cadence that I've used. The model I used was an astrele (sp) and you should be able to find one on closeout for around $25-$30. I've found the wired cadence models in general work better than the wireless-at least until you get in the much higher price range models. The kit comes with a magnet that is put on the inside of the left crank with a small zip tie and then a transmitter that is fastened to the left chain stay near the bottom bracket.
Old 07-30-06, 05:38 AM
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
Its not rocket science....... I enjoy working on my bikes almost as much riding them. Just dig in, you'll be surprised what you can do on your own. Worst case scenario, you take the bike parts to the LBS and they help you get it back together.

jppe...... nice ride, nice job. Congrats!
Old 07-30-06, 09:22 AM
p8rider

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Nice job jppe, The bike looks good. I couldn't begin to change out parts like that. I would spend the entire day and then take it to my lbs so that they could do it for real.
I like the blue tires, what type are they?
Never having ridden with a triple and changing this year from a 52/42 to a 53/39 and from 6 to a 10 rear cassette I find that the 39 offers me all of the low gear power I need. Perhaps ignorance is bliss!
Old 07-30-06, 11:33 AM
centexwoody

thnx: now I know what to tell my wife to get me for Christmas
Old 07-30-06, 11:39 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The red handlebar tape is borrowed from seeing pics of Chuck 5.2's Madone. Where is he btw??? I even have the red tires ready when these blue ones wear out.
So what jersey will complete the color scheme?
Old 07-30-06, 11:52 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Everytime I see this thread I think it's called Madonna makeover. Maybe that's because she's done that so many times?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-30-06, 12:20 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by p8rider
Nice job jppe, The bike looks good. I couldn't begin to change out parts like that. I would spend the entire day and then take it to my lbs so that they could do it for real.
I like the blue tires, what type are they?
Never having ridden with a triple and changing this year from a 52/42 to a 53/39 and from 6 to a 10 rear cassette I find that the 39 offers me all of the low gear power I need. Perhaps ignorance is bliss!
I agree that the 39 paired with a 12/26 or 12/27 is about all that is needed in our piedmont area. Where the compact crank or triple comes in really handy is in the mountains with those long climbs........or even Pilot Knob for that matter. That one is a grind!!

The blue tires are some Bontrager Xlites that actually came with the 5900. They're okay so I'm using them on day to day rides trying to wear them out. I have some nice red Continental 4000's and also some red Vredesteins just waiting for the Bontrager's to wear out....

Colored coordinated tires just seem to spice up the color scheme don't they???

Last edited by jppe; 07-30-06 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-30-06, 12:24 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by NOS88
So what jersey will complete the color scheme?
Very good question. It really depends on the mood of the day. I have a red jersey that I can wear with red socks, red gloves and a red helmet. I also have a blue jersey with blue socks, blue gloves and a blue helmet. Then there is white for these hot days!!!

And of course the bike club jersey that is yellow and blue........

I really like the Specialized mini wedge saddle bag but it doesn't come in a red color which is what I'd like for the Madone?????? I have one on the 5900 and it holds the right amount of stuff and tucks in nicely directly under the saddle.
Old 07-30-06, 01:02 PM
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Very nice, jppe! Isn't the Dura-Ace stuff nice? Almost a work of art to look at.

Now, get out and ride it

Take care,

Steve
Old 07-30-06, 02:55 PM
p8rider

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

The blue tires might work well with the 5200 logo on my bike. Maybe for Christmas as I still need to wear my current tires out.
Old 07-30-06, 03:19 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As some one said- This is the back up Bike?

Just got into road riding and not at the stage where I need a top rate bike, but I can always dream.

Cadence was one of those things that I never really bothered about as I knew when I was spinning too fast or effort was too much from too low a cadence, but I got an Astrale cadence meter for the Tandem and and it is great for keeping within the Area where you find comfort. Never really thought I would need one but it has proved invaluable. On the Wireless versions of Computers- They seem ideal at first- but then a battery runs flat- sudden interference comes in or you fiddle with the sender unit positions and it stops working. I have always found the wired versions more reliable but always had that nagging thought that the wires will get snagged or broken and an expesive repair will be necessary. That does happen of course, but luckily I have been able to repair the broken wires wheras trying to sort out what has gone wrong with the wireless versions has often caused me a problem.

As to the colour combination of red and Blue- This works. I have it on the Tandem of Blue frame and the anciliaries in red. Why? Trying to get the ancilliaries in the same blue as the frame was impossible. Wheras with red- It can be any shade of red- not matching the rest and will still look good. But the blue hubs or water bottle carriers that do not match the Blue of the frame looked terrible.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 07-30-06 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-30-06, 03:45 PM
centexwoody

Originally Posted by STAPFAM
it (i.e. the Cadence meter)is great for keeping within the Area where you find comfort. Never really thought I would need one but it has proved invaluable.
Stapfam: I'm unclear as to what you mean about 'keeping within the Area' - do you mean a particular cadence achieves a certain speed? Or that you & your partner have a cadence that matches a level of effort that you know you can sustain over a longer period of time? The 2nd question I would equate with any kind of sports challenge where one must find a rate/speed/level of effort that seems slow at the beginning but is one that can be maintained over the length of the course.

With your off-road riding, I am curious as to how cadence-tracking would work unless it is a technique you employ when you are roaring along the 'flats' (through the fields) until the next set of hills where you abandon the cadence & just start climbing. For road-biking, I can understand the cadence being a bit easier to track since, with gearing, one can maintain a steady cadence (as less tiring?) while slowing or speeding up in rate of travel.

Perhaps I should look at Sheldon Brown about this as well.

Tom
Old 07-31-06, 08:51 PM
smokeystrodtman

That's a beautiful Madone, wish I had a bike like that for a backup, or a main ride for that matter. I also enjoy doing all my own work on my bikes, it's very rewarding and prepares you for any problems you may run into on the road. I have a cyclometer, but it's just a basic wired unit without cadence. I just watch my speed and use whatever gear gives me the highest reading without over exertion. I have counted my pedal strokes against the second readout on my clock and I seem to do the best turning around 70-75 rpm. Those new Dura-Ace components really look nice and you know they're going to work great if they're Shimano. One of these days I'd like to try some Campy components to see how they compare.

Smokey

Lemond Poprad, Fisher HT, and Burley tandem
Old 07-31-06, 08:57 PM
CrossChain

Originally Posted by smokeystrodtman
. One of these days I'd like to try some Campy components to see how they compare.
I prefer Campy Ergo shifters...the action, for me, is easier and makes more sense, and for my smallish hands the hoods are more comfortable.