Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

80 Miles today

Old 07-29-06, 05:20 PM
Carusoswi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
80 Miles today

Yup. I didn't get out until noon. Got back at 6:30. I did stop a few times - 15 minutes for a medium Gatorade at 15 miles, 30 minutes for three more at 45 miles, 15 minutes at 65 miles for two Schweppes 16 ounce Ginger ales.

Before heading out, I had two 8-ounce glasses of water (added a teaspoon of salt to the first one) and two cups of coffee.

I checked my weight before leaving and upon my return. Surprisingly, I was ten pounds lighter upon returning. That has me a bit puzzled. I thought I consumed enough in the way of fluids during my trip, and I felt fine the whole time - still do (I'm drinking a diet Pepsi as I type this).

Spent most of my time in the drops today. Felt very comfortable the whole way.

If someone could advise me as to whether I should be taking more fluids before or during my ride, I'd appreciate it. I'm guessing that if I feel good, I should be ok. Although I won't hesitate to take a break, I do try to ride at a pace that gives me a work out, and I always sweat a lot when I ride. My clothes will be soaked and when I take my helmet off, liquid runs out of the little pad thingies that run around your forehead. It runs for a few seconds, then, I can compress those pads and get some more "juice" to run out.

I don't mind sweating - and it feels great when you hit the downhills and let the wind cool you off.

Anyhow, just wanted to share my experience here - it was a great day. No bad experiences at all.

Next week, I'm going to start earlier and shoot for 100 miles.

Caruso
Old 07-29-06, 05:42 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Sounds great!

What part of the country do you ride in?

10 pounds - 1 .25 gallons of water! That's a LOT!
Old 07-29-06, 06:46 PM
nedgoudy

Bikes: Easy Racers EZ-1 and Lightning Thunderbolt Recumbent Bikes

Congratulations! It always feels
good to do long distance and live
to tell about it, doesn't it.

Hope you (we all) continue to
enjoy riding your bike as much
and as far as you like for years
and years to come!
Old 07-29-06, 07:11 PM
dauphin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats on a great ride!
Old 07-29-06, 07:23 PM
mcalpik

What a great ride! 80 miles is a fabulous distance. I would be concerned about loosing 10 pounds on a ride. I try to return at the same weight I went out. To do that, I typically take a drink every 5 minutes, as timed by my cyclo-puter. For the first hour I drink water, and then use a sports drink after that.

Just my thoughts. Good luck on your rides.
Old 07-29-06, 07:50 PM
centexwoody

Bikes: 2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser

6 1/2 hrs is a looonngg time on the bike: obviously it fits you perfectly. Congrats on such a successful ride.

Aren't you the one riding a Surly CrossCheck? Seems like I remember your mentioning that in another forum. How's it set up?
Old 07-29-06, 09:29 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Excellent ride to be able to be out there that long.

10 pounds is a lot of weight to lose on the ride. Look out kidney stones!! Mcalpik has the right idea-watch your clock and drink on regular intervals-take 3-4 swallows with every drink. You'll feel even better the day after by staying more hydrated.
Old 07-30-06, 03:56 AM
Carusoswi

Originally Posted by centexwoody
Aren't you the one riding a Surly CrossCheck? Seems like I remember your mentioning that in another forum. How's it set up?
I ride a Cannondale Cyclocross Disc. Although I don't remember ever having major comfort problems from riding a bike, this one has gotten more comfortable since I switched to a new Arione seat. I am also riding more and shooting for longer distances. Oh, and two months or so back, I installed clipless pedals - wow, what a difference that has made (all above gleaned from reading in this forum).

Being able to share (my stories and read other stories) here has definitely inspired me to ride more regularly and to go farther. I used to think that 20 miles was some really long ride. I know better now - and am also a bit savvier as to some of the pitfalls for which I need to be on the look out - weight loss being one of them.

Thinking back on yesterday, it's probably odd, but, at no point during the ride did I need to urinate - don't know if that's normal/abnormal or what - I know I took in plenty of fluids, but, not in the small regular intervals you all are recommending - I'll have to try that next time.

I probably did a poor shopping job on the bike - its purchase was a father's day surprise from the kids - we went shopping and decided on it. I told the LBS I wanted something that would go fast but not "fall apart" like my Schwinn was starting to do - probably an exaggeration on my part - typical things were going wrong with the Schwinn ('73 or'74 LeTour), sticky cables, and some wheel problems (the rear collapsed on me during a sharp turn and I broke my arm back in '02).

So, the guy looks at me (you know, “stout” “middle-aged”), assumes I need something more upright, and brings out the Cyclocross. A very quick test ride - we were all in 'buy mode' so, that was that.

Before taking delivery, I had the store modify the stock gearing to more road-like, less mtb-like gearing, but still wasn't satisfied - I have since replaced the BB, cranks, and chain rings. It now has 63/52 up front and 34/11 in the rear. Cranks are 185mm. Stock Mavic Open Pro wheels 700 x 23c.

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
What part of the country do you ride in?
I ride in Bucks, Berks, Montgomery, and Philadelphia Counties. Yesterday, did a loop from Southampton, PA to Trenton, NJ, back across Route 29 to Frenchtown, NJ, then crossed back into PA from Lambertville, NJ into New Hope and back to Southampton.

Trenton to Frenchtown is along the Delaware River. It is mostly flat - some long but gently rolling inclines. Route 32 from New Hope to Shouthampton, I would say, presents some climbs that can challenge you - I used to consider them killers and would be consumed by that stretch. Now, they are just hills - I run 'em almost every weekend. They came at the end of my ride yesterday, and I took them uneventfully - somethin' 'bout my riding is definitely changin' for the better.

I like the bike - definitely enjoy the long gearing (and I make good use of that large chain ring) - but would probably have selected something else if I had it to do over again.

I’m not crazy about that fatty fork - wish it were more aero looking. There is some mysterious loose something inside my front wheel (sounds like a loose screw rolling around in there - only happens with tire and tube mounted) and my crank brothers TI pedals were starting to click again yesterday (LBS used some anti-seize goop to stop that a month ago, but, yesterday it was back), and, while I like the disc brakes, it seems I'm forever jinxed to experience some sort of pad rub no matter what system I have. I seem to constantly be adjusting them to eliminate that "violin-string" type squeak that occurs when they rub ever so slightly - annoys me to no end. Seems if I open them up to insure they won’t rub, there is far too much cable travel required to brake properly. Something is definitely flexing in the system, as this squeaking occurs mostly when I'm out of the saddle if I let the bike rock a bit.

And, while I love my long gearing, one has to take the bad with the good. The chain ring stuff is vintage - as in old design. It's made by TA, and the large ring stretches my FD to its capacity. If I don't keep the chain tensioned when moving from 63-52, she'll jump off to the inside every time. Can’t use the outer three cogs with the 52 ‘cause the chain will rub the inside of the 63 (don’t need and wouldn’t use those extreme combo’s anyhow). Given that the set up uses square head bolts, when the chain jumps to the inside, you can't just shift back and turn the crank to reengage the chain. You have to dismount, grab a stick or other handy tool, turn the crank with your hand, and push the chain away from the bolt heads - otherwise it hangs up (very annoying when you’ve been riding for three hours and are dripping so much sweat onto your glasses you can’t even see when looking down, LOL).

So, objectively speaking, I like the bike, love riding (obviously), but you won't see me pitching the Cyclocross for Cannondale - it's far from perfect.

But, when I'm riding, I tend to only think good thoughts - for me, it’s the best activity since sliced bread.

That said, after posting here last evening, I had a quick pot pie for dinner (no bread, thank you), sat down to watch a movie with the Mrs. (she wonderfully tolerates (or enjoys??) her solitude during my long weekend hours in the saddle), and was out like a light - dead to the world until about an hour ago, LOL.

I'm feeling great this morning, though. Nothing sore.

As always, thanks to all for the advice and encouragement.

Caruso

Last edited by Carusoswi; 07-30-06 at 04:05 AM.
Old 07-30-06, 05:28 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by carusowi
Thinking back on yesterday, it's probably odd, but, at no point during the ride did I need to urinate - don't know if that's normal/abnormal or what - I know I took in plenty of fluids, but, not in the small regular intervals you all are recommending - I'll have to try that next time.
That's a pretty strong indication you did not have enough fluids.
Old 07-30-06, 09:44 AM
p8rider

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Nice ride! I grew up in the NJ, Philly area and always liked those sections along the Deleware. I concur with others in thinking that you would be better to take in more fluids.
Old 07-30-06, 10:00 AM
turtleguy54

Bikes: 1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)

Just a point of clarification: Do you really mean you are running a 63/52 up front or did you mean 52/42? I'm mui impressed if you are pushing a 63x11 (154 inch) gear!
Old 07-30-06, 10:47 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
By the volume you were drinking I would say that was enough, but every body is different. On an 80 mile ride though- I would take in some food. This morning I did a 30 mile ride- Had a good substantial snack and drank 2 litres and a coffee. Still weighed 2lbs less than when I started, so another litre or so of drink fairly quickly. BUT 4 hours after getting back- I am still 2 lbs lighter. No problem as I have been lazing in the garden so probably a bit dehydrated from that.

On our big rides we use about 1 litre of liquid per hour and on our big offroad one, the backup vehicle keep throwing 250ml of water at us every time they see us. They don't let us move till we drink it and 5 minutes later we are looking for a bush. Never a great amount of pee-ing and it is always clear in colour. but 1 litre per hour and over the day- with the amount of food taken in aswell- we lose about 7lbs in body weight. This is catered for though as we carbo load for at least a week before the ride so have excess body fat to lose.

Perhaps you are just a bit overweight and it is body fat you are losing. (Don't want to call you a fat git as this may offend. Plus the fact you are probably bigger than me and can run faster).

Good ride by the way, but these longer rides take some training for. Especially in the Catering department. You have to carry a bit of food with you or find a decent cafe. Pie is the Byword on this forum so just a bit more training and you'll get used to it. Heres my mid ride snack from this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
RRSnack.jpg (34.1 KB, 9 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 07-30-06, 11:01 AM
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Sounds like a great ride, Caruso! 10 pounds is a lot to lose though on any ride. I try to drink at least one 24 oz bottle of water every half hour or so if I can handle it.

Take care,

Steve
Old 07-30-06, 11:02 AM
centexwoody

Bikes: 2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser

Thanks for good report

Originally Posted by carusowi
Not feeling the need to pee is probably NOT a good sign. My only long ride (56 miles) was a 4.5 hour ride starting at 6:15 & ending at 10:45 last month. The temps were in the low 90's when I finished. Knowing the night before that I was going to ride my 'age + 3', I starting pushing fluids. In our household we drink those 1/2 liter bottles of Ozarka and, while expensive, at least I know how much H20 I'm consuming. On the road I use a CamelBak that holds a good bit (20 - 30 oz?). AFter 11 miles of my ride, I had to stop at a convenience store to urinate. Then 3/4 of the way, I had to stop again.

I describe this only to relate my own experience of pushing liquids the night before the long ride & pushing them all the way through. The CamelBak is pretty easy to use (altho hot on the back but it carries my cellphone & a few tools) and I can fill it with ice & water at convenience stores for free. That bit of cool water sloshing down the throat encourages me to keep drinking. Have never been much of a fan of the water bottles riding in the cages for some reason.

One of the indicators that I use for my hydration levels is how clear my urine is - learned this from backpacking in the desert Southwest. Clear is good, the more yellow means that your kidneys are straining to flush impurities through your system. Here in central Texas, keeping hydrated is a daily challenge and dehydration really slows recovery to muscles after extended effort. Riding longer than 2 hours you're burning proteins & whatever else your body has in it and the kidneys are really hard at work. I know there are some cyclists that never seem to need fluid re-plenishment but my experience is that staying hydrated really assists in my body's ability to recover & get after it again. Friel talks a bit about this in Cycling After 50 & my own experience corresponds with his description.
Old 07-30-06, 11:05 AM
centexwoody

snack? that's a FEAST for pie eyes!

If I had a place to enjoy such 'snacks' anywhere around here, I'd be riding in a loop so that I could eat both going & coming...
Old 07-30-06, 12:26 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I rode 75 miles in the same general area yesterday. We started at the Oldwick park & ride, just off I-78, north of White House Station in NJ. We road down to the Sourland hills, north of Princeton, and down to Battleground Park in Princeton. We then went up River Rd. next to the D&R canal. There were 6 of us, mostly in a paceline - we were flying up River rd. Of the 6, 3 were very good riders, the other 3 of us were not as fast (maybe half-fast.. ). We stopped in Kingston, north of Princeton for snacks. I started with two bottles of full-strength Gatoraid. I bought a small bottle of water and a lemonaid at the stop and filled my bottles. I also had a small cup of coffee and a scone and a bananna. I finished the water at about 65 miles, where the slower 3 of us split off, and took a little fuel break. I took a nature break at the first stop, so I was keeping hydration balance in check up to that point. Towards the end, I ran out of liquid and due to the heat (92 at about 1 PM), was more than ready to get back to the truck. The two other guys and I hit the local roadside icecream stand and rehydrated - I had two, large lime slushies - I really needed the fluids and the drink helped lower my core temp. Back home, I also weighed myself - I only lost 2 lbs, but the slushies represented at least a pound. I ride a Trek 2300, have Shimano carbon clipless shoes, and also ride an Arione saddle. I hadn't ridden that far with the Arione before, and my butt held up pretty well. All and all, a pretty good day. I'm taking it a little easy today, and will try to get in a few miles this evening.
Old 07-30-06, 01:10 PM
Carusoswi

Originally Posted by turtleguy54
Just a point of clarification: Do you really mean you are running a 63/52 up front or did you mean 52/42? I'm mui impressed if you are pushing a 63x11 (154 inch) gear!
Not trying to impress (but I take a back pat or two if it comes my way!). I run 63/52 up front, 34/11 in the back, so, full out, it is, indeed, 63/11.

I've yet to find a hill that can make me spin out in that combo.

I had the Schwinn set up as long as my LBS could make her (don't remember now what it is), and when I got the Cannondale, I ask them to set it up as long as possible, also, but they said there was no way they could make it as long as my Schwinn set-up. Given that the Schwinn runs on 27-inch tires, I could not even keep up with my 27 year old son when he was on the Schwinn (now that was a totally unacceptable situation, Im here to tell ya).

Walked into the LBS I frequent in the Reading area, and a partially built up frame is hanging on the wall with this huge chain ring grinning out at me. Told him I had to have it - so we set a date, I took my bike in, and he installed the TA parts. Aside from gearing that's more to my liking, the BB he installed is far superior to the set up that came with the bike. I had around 1200 miles on her when we made the switch. You could never spin the pedals backward with your hands and have them keep on spinning. The new BB is so smooth and free spinning that she'll go around three times or so - it's noticeable smoother when you ride.

On level or almost level ground, I love to crouch low and just turn that 63/11 combo nice and steady. Before you know it, you look down at your cyclometer and your doing 22 mph. The stretch of road from Stockton to Frenchtown lends itself perfectly to that kind of relaxed spinning - wide, smooth, unobstructed shoulder, gently rolling terrain. It's my favorite ride.

Did almost the same loop today as yesterday - a little shorter - 70 miles. That makes 150 for the weekend. Now I'm confident I could make that Philly to Atlantic City MS ride this fall if I want to. Been eyeing it for a long time. Lost my twin sister to MS back in '97. Been wanting to make that ride ever since. Just never felt confident I was up to it.

BTW, I checked my wait before going out again today. I only gained back three of the ten pounds I lost yesterday, but I didn't lose any more weight during my ride today. Had three eight ounce glasses of water before leaving, five 32 oz Gatorades during my ride (no urination, however).

I'm guessing I'll gain most of those pounds back over the coming week (darn it!!).

Caruso
Old 07-30-06, 01:16 PM
RayGreen
OldButFit

Bikes: cheapies

An excellent ride sir. I'm new to the biking/cycling thing and my longest so far is 47 miles.

I'm a runner in recovery ..... and I often did sweat rate tests to determine how much fluid I should take in on long runs and during marathon races. As you well know, you'll be surprised at what you lose while exercising.

Do you eat anything on those long runs? I use gel packs for running but while biking, I've used the gel, Sport Beans, and Clif Bars. All seem to help maintain my energy. My 47 miler took 3:18 and I had more left when I finished.
Old 07-30-06, 01:17 PM
Carusoswi

Terex - good ride as well. I always wonder when I pass other riders - especially those of you in pace lines who look like you really know what you are doing - which of you participate in this forum.

I did grab a couple of pastries in Frenchtown and a banana with my last Gatorade on the way home.

Oops, the mrs. is calling in an impatient tone - "aren't we going to do anything TOGETHER this weekend?"

Gotta go.

Caruso
Old 07-30-06, 05:04 PM
Carusoswi

Originally Posted by RayGreen
An excellent ride sir. I'm new to the biking/cycling thing and my longest so far is 47 miles.

I'm a runner in recovery ..... and I often did sweat rate tests to determine how much fluid I should take in on long runs and during marathon races. As you well know, you'll be surprised at what you lose while exercising.

Do you eat anything on those long runs? I use gel packs for running but while biking, I've used the gel, Sport Beans, and Clif Bars. All seem to help maintain my energy. My 47 miler took 3:18 and I had more left when I finished.
What do you mean by the term "in recovery"? Are you recovering from an injury or are you saying you were seriously addicted to the point of injuring yourself (I have a good friend who is as into running as I am cycling, but his Dr tells him that he is running so much that he is hurting himself)? Just curious.

Also, if you could, describe those sweat tests. Id be curious to know how you went about that.

I have been riding a lot but still have much to learn - and this forum is a great place to start. I have been careful about my fluid intake (I thought), but haven't paid much attention to my eating (Lord knows I eat enough when I'm not riding - probably too much), but, that is a subject I need to be watching.

As I mentioned in my previous post, today I had a banana, a couple of sweet rolls and a ton of Gatorade (well, ok, not a ton, but a lot of it). I was comfortable which I guess is important, but, perhaps there is more I need to do.

A hearty welcome to you - happy riding.

Caruso
Old 07-31-06, 05:47 AM
Carusoswi

Originally Posted by Terex
I rode 75 miles in the same general area yesterday.
Terex:
Not trying to bore in on any arrangements you already have - but, how did you meet up with the folks you cycled with over the weekend? I, frankly, have shied away from organized groups (have read about the Bucks County Cycling Club (guess that's what it's called)), but have never joined - am always just a little envious of all the decked out cyclists in groups - have this notion that they are more with it than me - and, am a little disadvantaged by my farm country upbringing, and, so, a little hesitant to embrace organized cycling.

Again, not to cramp your style - but, would you be interested in meeting up with me some weekend - maybe do 20 or so miles together? Just curious. Are you a member of any of the cycling clubs?

Thanks

Caruso
Old 07-31-06, 11:47 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Hey Caruso - I'd be glad to get together for a ride some weekend. Maybe we could meet at Frenchtown or Lambertville. Try sending me your email address on the "Private Messages" function of this forum. If that doesn't work, I'll check back here.

The club I ride with is Western Jersey Wheelmen. Their main web site (www.wjw.org) is having problems, but their message board is up and running. It's at http://p080.ezboard.com/bwesterjerseywheelmen
This club has a lot of nice people. Age ranges from mid-30's to over 80.

And regarding clubs in your area, don't be hesitant to join in for a ride. Start with an easy ride with no intention of doing anything but meeting some folks. As you see how the rides are structured, you will figure out where you fit in. There should be enough people in clubs in your area to find at least a handful of other riders with whom you will feel comfortable.

Terex

PS - Here's a list of bike clubs and other resources in our area http://www.suburbancyclists.org/links.htm
Old 07-31-06, 08:34 PM
RayGreen
OldButFit

Originally Posted by Carusoswi
What do you mean by the term "in recovery"? Are you recovering from an injury or are you saying you were seriously addicted to the point of injuring yourself (I have a good friend who is as into running as I am cycling, but his Dr tells him that he is running so much that he is hurting himself)? Just curious.

Also, if you could, describe those sweat tests. Id be curious to know how you went about that.

Caruso
I had a couple discs that bulged and caused me some pain, weakness, and loss of coordination in my right leg (scaitia related probably). I also experienced about 8 months of groin pains when coughing or sneezing. The spine guy said this was caused by a "tear" somewhere in the material between the bones of my spine. I'm not real versed on this, as you can see. Anyway, the doc said no running until further notice but I can bike. He didn't insure that I would or should run again either. I'll learn more on my visit 08/02.

The sweat rate tests are simple. Before a long run (2 hours or more), I get up, do my morning "business" (if necessary), and weigh myself stripped. While out running, I keep track of how much fluid I take in. I don't eat any solid food on these trials. After the run, I strip and weigh again. The math works like this. Say you ran (biked) for 3 hours. During that time you drank 64 oz. (4 lbs) of fluid. After the session, you weighed 5 lbs less. Add the 4 lbs of fluid that you took in to the 5 lbs that you lost, for a total loss of 9 lbs in 3 hours. Another way to think of it is your pre-run weight is your net weight. Your net weight plus intake is your gross weight. Your finishing weight is subtracted from gross weight.
Old 08-01-06, 05:38 AM
Carusoswi

Ray:
I hope your 8/2 Dr's visit goes well, and thanks for the sweat rate test explanation. Gosh, that means that, on the day when I lost 10 lbs according to the scale, I really lost quite a bit more, given all the liquid I consumed during my ride.

Very interesting. Thanks again.

Caruso
Old 08-03-06, 04:44 AM
RayGreen
OldButFit

Originally Posted by Carusoswi
Ray:
I hope your 8/2 Dr's visit goes well, and thanks for the sweat rate test explanation. Gosh, that means that, on the day when I lost 10 lbs according to the scale, I really lost quite a bit more, given all the liquid I consumed during my ride.

Very interesting. Thanks again.

Caruso
No problem. I'm always glad to share any knowledge that might be helpful and/or interesting. Yes, you lost a good bit more than those 10 pounds.

My doctor visit was on a positive note. He said I can resume running, as long as I use good sense. His suggestion was to start with an easy mile a few times a week but absolutely STOP if leg or groin pain return. His suggested time frame before the next attempt, should pain return, was 6 weeks. He still insists that even if I heal properly, I won't be totally "well" for 6-12 months. I asked if I might aggravate things by trying to run. His reply was "maybe, but you could also do it while sitting around". I'm excited at the promise of being a runner again but I have to keep my good sense about me.

He said that by the looks of the xrays, surgery wouldn't be necessary, at least not now. He also told me that if running does cause pains but I can function normally by not running, he wouldn't consider surgery soley for the purpose of me returning to competitive racing. That's fair enough. I'm getting to be a fan of the bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service