Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ouch!!

Old 07-29-06, 05:49 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ouch!!

No, I didn't have a bicycle accident. I had a pedaling accident.

Turning left, I had not geared down, so I gave a great big push with my left pedal, as there was a car approaching in the distance (not really any kind of danger, though). At the same time I guess I had my knee sticking out away from my top tube. In any event, I felt a really good strain on my lower back and hip. My left hip is always susceptible to injury - like acute bursitis.

So, I kept riding, and rode some more. Then I took a nap. WOW! Things had really tightened up. I can ride, I can walk and I can sit. What kills me is changing position. Getting out of a chair, or my leg over the bike, or changing direction while I am walking.

Now, I am on Tylenol and icing. I hope it clears up some by tomorrow, as I have to sing 5 times in church!

Anyone else have this?
Old 07-29-06, 06:22 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a mild sprain? It'll probably be tighter tomorrow. My physical therapist suggests using either ibuprofin or aspirin rather than Tylenol. The first two are also anti-inflamatory - Tylenol is not.

Juice yourself proper prior to singing in service - you may not sing too well, but you won't care!
Old 07-29-06, 06:28 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
Sounds like a mild sprain? It'll probably be tighter tomorrow. My physical therapist suggests using either ibuprofin or aspirin rather than Tylenol. The first two are also anti-inflamatory - Tylenol is not.

Juice yourself proper prior to singing in service - you may not sing too well, but you won't care!
I can't take Ibu as I am on regular aspirin therapy after my ablation. I don't want to take any extra asp as I take one adult daily already. So, I take tylenol.

I'll go through the communion line 10 times. Oops, I forgot - we use grape juice. Darn.
Old 07-29-06, 06:34 PM
megaman
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Now, I am on Tylenol and icing. I hope it clears up some by tomorrow, as I have to sing 5 times in church!

Anyone else have this?
For me even if they gave everyone in the place Tylenol, they still wouldn't let me sing.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Old 07-29-06, 07:22 PM
CrossChain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One think about back spasms....they come quick, hurt like catching yourself in your zipper, then they go leaving you feeling normal in many cases. I can recall when just rolling over on my side was a major project done with much teeth gritting. Hang in there Dnvr. Presumably you won't be dancing along with singing.
Old 07-29-06, 07:55 PM
edp773

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear that Dnvr. I have been having IT band problems since this spring especialy on my right hip. I got motivated Thursday to do some hills because I could not get myself working hard enough on flat ground the day before. Needless to say my IT band was a mess on Friday. My therapists worked on it for twenty minutes or more to loosen it up.

I do excercises to loosen my IT bands twice a day. I warm up good and cool down while riding my bike. I use lower gears while riding so not to put much pressure on it. After riding I do stretches to loosen the legs and IT bands.

If you are interested PM me and I can explain the exercises and stretches showed to me.
Old 07-29-06, 08:08 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wife convinced me to take a couple of more aspirins and a Robaxin. I have never done this in 8 years of riding, so I will just chalk it up to an anomaly.

I am already doing a bit better.
Old 07-29-06, 08:13 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might also consider using one of those vibrators with a heating element. They seem to be effective on sore muscles.
Old 07-29-06, 08:42 PM
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear you're doing better, Dnvr. Last year, when I had the herniated disc, the only thing I *could* do was bike. Walking, laying, sitting, all of it was painful. After 30 years of misc. back problems, stretching helps get everything back in shape and loose.

Take care,

Steve
Old 07-29-06, 08:49 PM
crosswater
GiantOldGuy

Bikes: Merckx Mx Leader, Trek Singletrack 800, 87 Santana Elan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried Aleve? (naproxen sodium) I have problems with the lower back. It will sometimes spasms on me...with as little as turning to pick up a toothbrush.

One of my riding buddies is a PT. She has studied with one of the fellows in your fine state that works on the Olympic team. She also travels around the country teaching other PTs how to do some of the things she has learned to do....in my estimation, miracles. She has loosened up my SI joint and muscles with deep tissue massage and the use of NSIDs (? I believe that's the correct term) She also set me on an exercise program and it was monitored very closely to make sure I did not hurt myself.

Rather than self-medicate and run the danger of hurting yourself more with our advice, see a good local PT. You'll be glad you did.
Old 07-29-06, 09:15 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As this is the 1st time, I am not going to turn it into a federal case. I know how I injured it, which was by applying rather a great deal of pressure at an inappropriate angle. If I don't do that silly maneuver again, I believe I will be just fine. If not, I have a local expert (former athletic trainer and excellent chiro) who treats my wife.

But for now, time is my friend.

Thanks for all the thoughts.
Old 07-29-06, 09:55 PM
The Rob
Almost Immortal

Bikes: 2004 Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get this sort of thing too, from time to time. I can usually walk (or ride) it out, but getting up from a seated position feels like I'm starting all over again. Like wearing an iron girdle.

The thing that's annoying is that I seldom earn this sort of misery via strenuous exercise. It's always stupid crap like unloading the dishwasher or feeding the cats.

http://blog.myspace.com/robcatg

http://therob.wordpress.com
Old 07-30-06, 12:53 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Made it through 5 songs. Stood for a couple of hours, as I was afraid that if I sat I wouldn't be able to get up again. However, I did finally sit and WAS able to get up again.

Actually, I am feeling about 50% better this afternoon.

Our voices blended and the close harmony was loudly praised by many. This time it was all a capella.

If I can get a cd and if anyone is interested, I will be pleased to post on the web with a link that I can email to you. Just let me know:

Old 07-30-06, 05:30 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, Denver - So give us a report on this morning's singing - Did the dogs howl?
Old 07-30-06, 05:43 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, Denver - So give us a report on this morning's singing - Did the dogs howl? .

Many, many compliments. We did Amazing Grace in Barbershop, with four key changes including the 3rd verse in a minor key, and Church in the Wildwood traditional. We sounded great, the blend was good, etc. All a capella.
Old 07-30-06, 05:46 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AWESOME!

Did someone video it, by chance so we could all enjoy?
Old 07-30-06, 05:58 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
AWESOME!

Did someone video it, by chance so we could all enjoy?
Well, there should be a CD that I can post on the INet. Usually they record, and a friend of mine makes a CD of our singing. If so, let me know if you are interested and I will email you the link,
Old 07-30-06, 06:31 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Glad to hear you're doing better and the singing went well. I'd sure be interested in hearing a tape if one is available. Sounds really interesting.

We sang Just As I Am in church this morning. That used to be a weekly favorite to close out the service in the Southern Baptist Church I grew up in but I probably haven't heard it for years........Growing up the preacher used to have us continue singing even after the last verse if noone had stepped forward for Baptism.......
Old 07-31-06, 09:55 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK - I went to my excellent and friendly chiro today (who was also a sports trainer for a period of years, which makes a really nice combination).

Seems I have injured these muscles:

Tensor Fascia Lata
Gluteus Medius
Piriformis

He said I did a pretty good job of injuring those muscles. He gave me some e-stim, massage, adjustments, some pretty hefty massage, some active relief and stretching. He said my hip joint was fine, and that injury to some of these muscles can mimic hip joint problems.

He gave my some stretches for at home, but said to wait until 72 hours after the injury to do the stretches. I need to be off of the bike a bit, or just a stationary bike to keep things loose.

He told me to get some "Traumeel" and Arnica, which I did.

Anyway, after his treatment I feel a lot better, but still some significant pain.

So, I will let nature heal me (with some help!)

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-31-06 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-31-06, 11:57 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear it's nothing permanent, Denver - the healing won't be fun, but it beats the alternatives!

I'd enjoy hearing the singing performance also.
Old 07-31-06, 07:06 PM
p8rider

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear it isn't a major problem DFox. You've got your orders now, follow them, get better and then get back out there riding!
Old 08-01-06, 06:01 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, here is my gripe.

This chiro is great with maniputlation, muscles and the lot. But, in the USA, the chiros cannot legally prescribe drugs. So, I took three of the Arnica little capsules (that he told me to use) without checking the internet. I immediately was out of it and conked out, and while I was sleeping, my wife checked the INet for Arnica (which is a herbal medicine) and found, among other things, that this is one powerful drug and it is contraindicated for someone who had heart arrythmias - (that's me folks). I spent much thousands of dollars last year getting rid of the arrythmias, and here I am on a medication suspected of causing arrythmias!

So, without a good medical history, the chiro asked me to take a very strong "herbal" medicine - much more potent that most "prescribed" medicines. And this is entirely legal. Besides, it really knocked me out.

And this chiro is always saying "Don't take drugs, let nature heal your body." What the H*** does he think Arnica is, anyways, if not a drug? Just because it is herbal doesn't mean it is not a drug!

20 lashes to myself for not doing an internet search before taking this herb.

I don't really understand the reasoning behind all of this. Whether it is produced by nature or is produced in a factory, it is still a drug. Also, many of the "prescribed" FAA approved drugs originate from nature - i.e., digitoxin, Taxil, etc.

Now, this was a homeopathic remedy in a very high dilution. It is supposed to be less harmful or almost benign. But, for someone with past heart irregularities, it is just not worth the chance.

Arnica is rarely used as an internal herbal remedy because it can cause dizziness, tremors, and heart irregularities. It may also irritate mucous membranes and cause vomiting. Arnica should only be used internally under the supervision of a professional clinician who understands the risks and benefits of this herb. Homeopathic remedies, which use minute amounts of their herbal ingredients, do not generally carry these risks.
"Do not generally" just isn't good enough for me.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-01-06 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-01-06, 02:13 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't take anything but exercise and stretching advice from my physical therapist. If she recommends heat or cold, OK, but I never take anything (including over-the-counter stuff) without running it by my doctor. Fortunately, my doctor is cool about a call & question, so there's no extra charge for that service. If the doctor does want me to take something, he's often prescribed & called in the drug to my pharmacy over the phone as well.

Glad you weren't hurt by this and I'd for sure discuss it with the chiro if I were you.
Old 08-02-06, 06:56 PM
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
So, without a good medical history, the chiro asked me to take a very strong "herbal" medicine - much more potent that most "prescribed" medicines. And this is entirely legal.
Denver,

You unwittingly have come across a major political battle over the regulation of herbal medicine. Herbs intended for preventive or therapeutic use would be regulated as drugs under federal laws. To evade the law, these products are marketed as "foods" or "dietary supplements" without health claims on their labels. Herbal remedies are a big business, and they have a powerful protector in Senator Orrin Hatch (Utah), so it's tough to get new legislation passed.

In addition to the side efferts that you discovered on the web, there is no FDA oversight to ensure that these herbal medicines even have the dosage they claim on their labels. Personally, I would steer well clear of all this stuff.

Nick
Old 08-02-06, 06:59 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nmichell
Denver,

You unwittingly have come across a major political battle over the regulation of herbal medicine. Herbs intended for preventive or therapeutic use would be regulated as drugs under federal laws. To evade the law, these products are marketed as "foods" or "dietary supplements" without health claims on their labels. Herbal remedies are a big business, and they have a powerful protector in Senator Orrin Hatch (Utah), so it's tough to get new legislation passed.

In addition to the side efferts that you discovered on the web, there is no FDA oversight to ensure that these herbal medicines even have the dosage they claim on their labels. Personally, I would steer well clear of all this stuff.

Nick
Yes, I am aware of this long running battle!

Caveat Emptor!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.