Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Personal Stuff......Only Guys Read

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-29-06, 07:36 PM
CrossChain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

During CA's much publicized heat wave I tried to keep riding-- no pain no gain. I did a 40 miler on a day it hit 113...that last 10 miles my Cytomax was so hot it was more like soup. I came back sun-bleached (one heck of a tan actually), drenched in sweat of course-- didn't know lycra could absorb so much. Anyway, I also had abrasions and bumps on my 'pendage. I figure it was the heat, sweat, and a rough seam on my Performance shorts (I checked my best shorts-- Louis Garneau-- and they have a flat seam). And, no, it wasn't one of the Diego sisters.

The next day I had to turn back, slick myself up with Neosporin, and then wrap around a couple of bandaids (the large ones of course). It's taking some time to heal so I keep using the bandaids as a cushion. One of my riding friends suggested I tape on a condom instead.

Lessons learned: Better shorts are better, Neosporin is good to use, bandaids come off when you sweat, heat encourages skin irritation, and I'm not too old to go through a box of condoms.
Old 07-29-06, 07:45 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Um, thanks for sharing?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-29-06, 07:50 PM
CrossChain

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Um, thanks for sharing?
Hey, no prob Deege.
Old 07-29-06, 07:53 PM
centexwoody

Bikes: 2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser

man, if I had that kind of stuff going on, I'd do some microadjustments on my seat or sump'n, definitely get better shorts, whatever it took.

don't ride too long before getting a better fit, mon
Old 07-29-06, 07:58 PM
crosswater
GiantOldGuy

Bikes: Merckx Mx Leader, Trek Singletrack 800, 87 Santana Elan

One word....Aquaphor...works for the grandson....works for the grandpa...or babak as I am known. I believe a condom might exacerbate the problem.

My brother-in-law keeps telling me it's a 'dry' heat. He thinks 90%/90º F is horrible...I think 113 is horrible....wet, dry anything over 50º F gets warm when you are going uphill.

I hope your ...uh...appendage...uh, gets taken care of properly
Old 07-29-06, 08:00 PM
centexwoody

Bikes: 2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser

+ 1 for Aquaphor!
Old 07-29-06, 08:16 PM
Trsnrtr
(Tresenriter)

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5879 Post(s)
As a bent rider, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Just kidding, 30 miles on my upright tandem this week in 95 degree heat was enough to give my boys a rash. Oddly enough, i was wearing performance shorts, also... Hmmmmmm...

Then some damn fool invents the wheel
Old 07-29-06, 08:38 PM
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by CrossChain
Lessons learned: Better shorts are better, Neosporin is good to use, bandaids come off when you sweat, heat encourages skin irritation, and I'm not too old to go through a box of condoms.
Seriously, something's out of adjustment, or needs attention. Sweat or no, 43 miles shouldn't cause those kind of problems.

Steve
Old 07-29-06, 08:45 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
A kiss will make it better, but I'm not going to give it.
Old 07-29-06, 08:46 PM
Gus Riley
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
Seriously, something's out of adjustment, or needs attention. Sweat or no, 43 miles shouldn't cause those kind of problems.

Steve
2nd that.
Old 07-29-06, 09:13 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Hmmm!

TMI!

(Too Much Information)?
Old 07-29-06, 10:01 PM
The Rob
Almost Immortal

Bikes: 2004 Trek 7500FX

...The next day I had to turn back, slick myself up with Neosporin, and then wrap around a couple of bandaids (the large ones of course)...

http://blog.myspace.com/robcatg

http://therob.wordpress.com
Old 07-29-06, 10:31 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Riding a bent in that kind of heat I got that problem all over my back from a rigid back rest. But not down there. Clean clothes every day and daily thorough showers would be the cure. NOT a condom.
Old 07-30-06, 12:00 AM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Heat hurts in a lot of ways. The pores are OPEN as a lot of sweat needs to pass. I'm guessing that this can be one source of the problem. Once you sweat enough to wet your clothes, the shorts will be moist for the rest of the trip and I would have to think that salty sweat is an irritant. In theory, you may get to the same situation in less extreme weather, but with longer exposure.

I'm curious about the seam problem. All my shorts (Nashbar before Performance, Sugoi and Assos) have a pad that is one piece. There may be multiple layers in certain areas, but there are no outside seams in the area of the pad.

I think you might benefit from a good chamois creme. I use the one from Assos and it lasts for 2 to 4 hours, depending on how much I apply. However, it might attack the condom as I think the Assos product has natural oils (lanolin, etc.) in it. You may need to go to nitrile condoms. They are usually offered for people who have sensitivity to latex.
Old 07-30-06, 01:01 AM
kakman
one post at time

Originally Posted by flatlander_48
The pores are OPEN as a lot of sweat needs to pass. I'm guessing that this can be one source of the problem. Once you sweat enough to wet your clothes, the shorts will be moist for the rest of the trip and I would have to think that salty sweat is an irritant.
hmmm, I wonder if anyone has ever considered using the stuff they have in nappies as a knicks liner? My 2 year old can have some major moisture release overnight but his boy bits and bum are always bone dry. I mean the whole idea is to keep moving the mositure away from the skin.

Now to think of a credible way to market it Dryboys™ anyone?

// kak
Old 07-30-06, 01:35 AM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Depends, actually! Cheap and disposable. Now if they only came in lycra black

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 07-30-06, 02:23 AM
Big Paulie

This is an interesting thread, because I've had the same problem this past week...and for the first time ever. I treated my wounds with Brave Soldier ointment, then used Chamois Butt'r both on my "personage" and my shorts, with no further problem.

Last edited by Big Paulie; 07-30-06 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-30-06, 03:01 AM
Carusoswi

I've heard about saddle sores and such, but this is the first I'm hearing about this sort of problem - abrasions and bumps on your ?????.

I definitely think somethin' must be wrong. I don't wear any of the fancy cyclin' clothes (yet), but had tired of the odd looks I was getting (or thought I was getting) in my 'pick-up and put on whatever is laying around' clothes (odd, outdated (even for me) Bermudas, fire-red T-shirts emblazoned with "Dad's-Just-the-Best" given to me by the kids 20 years ago, etc.

Mentioned it to the Mrs., and she promptly went out and bought me some dark blue gym shorts and more subtle T's to ride in. The shorts have that sewn in lining that reminds me of my briefs. Well, the first pair I put on was just too small for me - everything, all of it, was crammed up tight.

I am always the gracious gift-receiver, so, I tried to ride in 'em. After five miles, I had to bring 'em back and change into something else. I was conscious of every micro-inch of me rubbing in all the wrong ways on every pedal stroke.

We exchanged the shorts for the next bigger size and all has been well with the world since. I also continue to wear my briefs under the shorts - just feels right.

Not knowing a thing about cycling outfits, I'm just guessing that something similar might be going on - or, perhaps there is something in the fabric or something in your wash cycle to which you may be slightly allergic that gets exacerbated under the most extreme conditions.

Purely speculation, I know, but, seriously, I would not be blaming that sort of thing on the heat. Even though we are bombarded by the media with how dangerous this heat is, a well-conditioned body with a modicum of commonsense care should be able to ride a bike in that weather without those sorts of problems.

I, too, thank you for sharing your story - it is definitely something for all of us to be watching for. The good news is that it should go away soon enough - the bad news is that it may come back unless you discover and eliminate the underlying causes.

Good luck - let us know how things 'turn out.'

Caruso
Old 07-30-06, 11:52 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your post makes sense to me. I know that with heavy sweat I get a lot of salt build up on my skin. In fact I have to avoid the temptation to rub sweat away from my eyes. Often there is enough salt built up that I give myself small "brush burn" type abrasions simply from wiping away the sweat. Do you get lots of white salt build up on helmet chin straps or on your gloves? Could be the salt is creating some real abrasive action.
Old 07-30-06, 04:53 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I use Body Glide. It's there when I start riding, and it's there when I finish riding. I've never had to apply again. In fact, unless I use lots of soap in the shower, I can tell that a bit of it is still there.
I also agree with those calling for playing with the adjustment of the seat.
Old 07-30-06, 05:23 PM
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Old 07-30-06, 05:44 PM
stercomm
On the road again

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000

I agree with Cheese, something is out of adjustment. One other question is around how strong you felt during the ride, most often when I get any skin irritations it is often because I've pushed too hard or been tired and my pedaling was coming too much from the hips and not the legs and when that happens your butt and other parts around there move around a whole lot more and get rubbed and irritated.
Old 07-30-06, 07:17 PM
Carusoswi

Nos88 - it could be the salt thing - but, then again, I would think the clothing would absorb the salt just as your chin strap does. I do know what you mean about the abrasive feeling you get when you wipe perspiration away from your eyes. Sometimes, I just can't resist rubbing - the sweat gets into my eyes and burns.

I hope CrossChain figures out the source of the problem.

Caruso
Old 07-30-06, 07:43 PM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

During CA's much publicized heat wave I tried to keep riding-- no pain no gain. I did a 40 miler on a day it hit 113...

Lessons learned: Better shorts are better, Neosporin is good to use, bandaids come off when you sweat, heat encourages skin irritation
CC
Assuming we want to go on a tour, this problem must be avoided at all cost. It can be the end of that tour.
My opinion:
I put a layer of cortaid on my nether parts at night and in the morning. I used dry and washed top quality bike shorts. Used a comfortable and well adjusted saddle. Got off the saddle at least every 10 minutes.
I did all that on a 1000 mile trial run in Florida heat and humidity. It worked for a 3000 mile tour, some at conditions you mentioned.
Old 07-30-06, 08:01 PM
CrossChain

Yes, I agree with much of the above. Thanks for thoughtful advice. Yes, I was literally and figuratively "toast" the last few miles, although I've come in hammered before with no similar problems-- my pedaling style was probably not at its best. The shorts I was using were those wretched Performance super-thick gel pads with the waffle imprint that feel like a loaded diaper under you: they were all that were clean that day and have been trashed. My saddle position and saddle haven't changed in some years now...doubt that was a problem. I use antibacterial body soap daily.

In the end, who knows?! Could have spent to much time on the saddle nose that day... not a good idea no matter how many pros live there on ungodly long time trials. Got a big tube of A&D ointment which I'll use to lube up on future rides (Butt Butter / chamois cremem, noxema, BagBalm, etc. to back those up; have ordered a new saddle with cut-out I found on eBay and feel the current of the endless saddle hunt tugging me into deep financial waters....just like Cheeseflavor. Anyway, spent 30 mins on the trainer today pushing bigger gears to "unweight" the body a bit. I'll try the road again in a few days.

I've never had so many people (at least of the same gender) take an interest in my privates before....
there are probably better ways to gain celebrity. Again....thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service