Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Order in which to yield

Old 07-31-06, 06:38 AM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Order in which to yield

Saw a yield sign today that indicated walkers/hikers should yield to cyclist and that cyclist should yield to roller bladers/skaters. (There was no indication what to do about horses.) I've never seen this before, which could simply be due to my lack of observational skills. The sign was posted at the entrance to a bridge with a dedicated, and protected (by barriers) lane for non-motor vehicle traffic. This sign was on a bridge in a National Park. So, I stopped and asked a park ranger about it. His reply made some sense: In an emergency, walkers are simply able to stop, step aside or take other evasive actions. Cyclist have to stop and put a foot down or dismount. Roller bladers have the most difficult time, given they've got wheels attached to their feet. So, walkers should yield to cyclist and cyclist to skaters. Like I said, it makes some sense. Any of you ever hear of this before? Usually, I've seen signs for which the logic seems to be that the faster moving person yields to the slower moving one.
Old 07-31-06, 07:27 AM
Kenal0

Bikes: Giant OCR 2, Flyte SRS 2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Too much to think about. I yield to anything that looks like it could hit me.
Kenal0
Old 07-31-06, 07:51 AM
Dohickey
I bike, therefore, I am.

Bikes: 2006 Jamis Coda Sport, 1980 Schwinn Continental

I agree with KENAL0. Too much for my brain to handle. But I do yield to people in wheelchairs, and keep one eye out for squirrels and potholes just to be on the safe side.
Old 07-31-06, 08:48 AM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Here is my thinking:
Regardless what that sign says, a biker who hits a person, kid, dog, anything, ........is in trouble.
Right or wrong, a road cyclist going fast is considered a bit elitist and guilty until he/she can prove their innocence.
Old 07-31-06, 09:09 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Yes, this is very common. Also, horses always have the right of way. It's that sitting on top of a live animal with its own mind and propensity to spook at every little thing that gives them right of way.
Old 07-31-06, 03:50 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Most of my riding is offroad on what we call bridleways. Horses have priority over everything. Walkers have the next priority as they own everything and way down the list come cyclists.

The horses I can understand as half the time, the riders don't know what the horse is going to do. It is those walkers. They do give way to horses, but they seem to think that they can stop Cyclists any time they like just by stepping out in front of them. Admittedly it is only a small percentage that think this way- but they hide themselves in herds of walkers (Called ramblers If they are the serious ones) and suddenly jump out in front of you. I have had them intentionally block the trail in front of me- and their attitude is that Walkers were about before bikes so they have rights over us.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-31-06, 04:28 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by stapfam
I have had them intentionally block the trail in front of me.
You got some MEAN folks there in the UK! Remind me to stay away.
Old 07-31-06, 04:33 PM
MisterJ

Most MUTs give right of way to peds.
Old 07-31-06, 04:52 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If the paths are that crowded, I'd ride in the street.
Old 07-31-06, 05:23 PM
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

I have a different rule...... I carry the frame pump so they should yield.
Old 08-01-06, 12:47 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
You got some MEAN folks there in the UK! Remind me to stay away.
The problem we have are with the old school of ramblers. Bikes are new to the scene as far as offroad goes, only about 25 years, and in the early days there were a few Bikers that did not take sufficient care for other path users. Luckily they are very rare nowadays, but if they do start causing problems- Other bikers jump on them severely.
The problem comes about with this Ramblers Society. They took it on themselves to stop bikes from using the bridleways. Admittedly that was a few years ago but some of the old school of thought of the ramblers still carry on the fight to stop the cyclists from using the paths.

One memorable ride was last year. 400 riders going west to east on the South downs way, and thousands of ramblers going east to west on the same path. I came across them on a downhill and it was like a slalom on this section. They would not move out of the way- and we decided to take to the field alongside on the tandem to avoid them. I was bibbing the horn all the way down and the ramblers still would not get out of the way. When I was eventually forced to stop by about 4 of them stopping having a chat in the middle of a narrow section- I blew my top, and the only response from them was "Theres No need to swear".

Spike Milligan
Old 08-01-06, 05:30 AM
Carusoswi

Nos, that's really a new one. I've never observed such a sign. If I did, I guess I'd do my best to make mental note and ride/yield accordingly.

Basically, I agree with most others here - when in doubt, I yield to anything/anyone to which/whom my failure to yield might present a problem - a much simpler axiom that my limited brain can easily grasp.

Caruso