Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Whoa!!! I can stop!!!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Whoa!!! I can stop!!!

Old 08-05-06, 01:05 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoa!!! I can stop!!!

The fine folks at Adams Avenue Bicycles took one look at my brakes when I went in seeking "an adjustment" and immediately recommended replacing the pads completely. Twenty minutes later, I'm back on the road, and I can <<<<drumroll>>>> actually stop!

The sheer joy!

I'm only being slightly tongue in cheeck. What I now realize is that as the pads wore out, they did so pretty slowly and almost imperceptably. I mean, I guess I knew I was getting less stopping power, but by no means did I realize HOW much less, until I rode with the new ones.

It's almost like getting a brand new bike!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-05-06, 01:11 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DigitalGee
It's almost like getting a brand new bike!
almost, but not quite...how IS your bike search going! The sales are about to start - my LBS was unpacking lots of new bikes in boxes!
Old 08-05-06, 01:14 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I take it you are out of your notorious slump?

And you didn't buy the brake shoes on craigslist?
Old 08-05-06, 01:16 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by centexwoody
almost, but not quite...how IS your bike search going! The sales are about to start - my LBS was unpacking lots of new bikes in boxes!
You really shouldn't ask this question: the Forum will send a goon squad to silence you in the dark of night!

But you did ask, so...

It continues to go on and on. (What else is new?) I'm trying to find someone with a Sequoia Elite to ride -- I liked the baseline Sequoia a LOT -- probably a bit more than the OCS.

I liked the Specialized Roubaix carbon a heckofa lot, but it was $2,000. The Elite is $1200.

Of course, now I'm saying to myself that i have $80 in new tires, and $50 in brakes (rounding up) on my current steed, which i won't recover if i sell it, so...

So you probably shouldn't ask...

Old 08-05-06, 01:19 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I take it you are out of your notorious slump?

And you didn't buy the brake shoes on craigslist?
Coincidentally, and for whatever reason, the slump seems to have lifted as of today. Literally. No explanation, but all I can think about is getting out there and riding. I'm just going to have a bite to eat and then I'm out!

As for brake shoes on craigslist, I have the mechanical aptitude of a banana slug, so it was WELL worth $10/wheel to have AAB install them. I watched and as he worked, I knew I couldn't do that.

Old 08-05-06, 01:54 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sequoia Elite: yes, my favorite wife is considering one of them but no, the budget requires waiting another few months to get the cash saved up. One of her virtues is an aversion to credit card debt so the new bikes will stay a dream until the CASH is in hand. I'm considering a 2nd job washing dishes...

So, please ask the Forum to call off the Goon Squad since it was an innocent little joke & I promise I won't ask again.

p.s. One of the reasons I ask is because I really really want another bike that is sized appropriately & it 'sorta' helps my impatience to check in with someone else who's watching, waiting, hoping to choose, etc.
One of the mechanics at my LBS proudly showed me his custom steel bike built by a former European racer who has a shop just 30 miles away. Then we got into a discussion of custom bikes and how they are keepers for life, etc. etc. Didn't help my new bike lust at all...ah, well, sigh...
Old 08-05-06, 03:58 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I just saw the new (I think) Giant TCR. Full carbon and Dura-Ace for $2200 retail!
Old 08-05-06, 04:00 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Funny how you don't realise how things are going downhill till you get it checked over. Brake blocks are just one item. The gear change that is getting sloppy- the lever that is getting a bit stiff- The saddle that is not as comfortable as it used to be. Only way to find out is to get on the bike and ride it. Just thought- How did you know the brakes don't work as good as they should? Getting out and finding a hill or two to train for the next century perhaps? Putting a bit more effort into the pedals to see if you still have it?

Nice to see you back but you ought to be getting the size sorted on your next bike- ready for the Autumn sales. That money spent on your current bike is not an investment- Just makes it easier to sell a bike in good condition.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-05-06, 04:12 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DG, I know you could do the brakes, really. They are eiser than they look.... just dig in man.
Old 08-05-06, 04:21 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
I just saw the new (I think) Giant TCR. Full carbon and Dura-Ace for $2200 retail!
Just checked the UK price and if it is the one I saw- It is £4000. Multiply by 1.86 for the exchange rate and you can see why we are your poor relations.

https://www.giant-bicycles.co.uk/uk/0...06&model=10273

Spike Milligan
Old 08-05-06, 05:00 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam

Nice to see you back but you ought to be getting the size sorted on your next bike- ready for the Autumn sales. That money spent on your current bike is not an investment- Just makes it easier to sell a bike in good condition.
After innumberable test rides, I know my size now: 56, L, or 18.5 depending on the style of bike and the way its size is reported. I am now completely confident that I could order a bike off the internet and the size wouldn't be an issue, although of course it would have to be "dialed in" when it arrived.

And, I could make a 55-58 work, for that matter. I've even ridden a traditional geometry road bike and felt okay on it, although I will still probably go for that relaxed geometry.

Old 08-06-06, 05:40 PM
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd pay attention to the top tube length more than the nominal size, which is seat tube height. When I was riding different "sizes" trying to find a fit, that dimension made more difference than any other (save standover height, as you might imagine. ) You can correct for top tube length, but stems ain't cheap.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-06-06, 06:44 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, on another thread I noted that the new front brake was rubbing the rim just a bit after the repair, which I thought was a simple oversight on the part of the LBS wrench. Wrong. I fiddled with it today, and it looks like the wheel is slightly out of true. Now I suppose I will have to have THAT fixed as well. Wonder what that costs?

This bike is just starting to nickle dime me and I don't cotton to that. Never have, never will. Had to ride the MTB today and it was SLOW and HEAVY!

Old 08-06-06, 07:46 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DG,
I have a great idea. Have you ever considered buying another bike. Craigslist is a place you can start. And you might consider Giant OCR's and Spec. Sequoias or maybe a Pilot. And there's the pricey Roubaix models. Maybe the time has come to at least consider buying a bike to replace your MTB.

Who knows, shopping around might be fun...a new experience. I'm sure the guys would help if they knew you were interested.

[ Forgive me DeeGee-- the Devil made my post this.]
Old 08-06-06, 08:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
DG,
I have a great idea. Have you ever considered buying another bike. Craigslist is a place you can start. And you might consider Giant OCR's and Spec. Sequoias or maybe a Pilot. And there's the pricey Roubaix models. Maybe the time has come to at least consider buying a bike to replace your MTB. Who knows, shopping around might be fun...a new experience. I'm sure the guys would help if they knew you were interested.
Or better yet, start a thread based on the questions you have regarding one bike's assets over another. You might even think about utilizing one of the localized, on-line selling sites. There's a big one, but the name escapes me at the moment...
Old 08-07-06, 11:53 AM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Sequoia Elite: yes, my favorite wife"

This is how my husband always speaks of me!
Old 08-07-06, 02:26 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
DG,
I have a great idea. Have you ever considered buying another bike. Craigslist is a place you can start. And you might consider Giant OCR's and Spec. Sequoias or maybe a Pilot. And there's the pricey Roubaix models. Maybe the time has come to at least consider buying a bike to replace your MTB.

Who knows, shopping around might be fun...a new experience. I'm sure the guys would help if they knew you were interested.

[ Forgive me DeeGee-- the Devil made my post this.]
Gee, why didn't i think of this???

Wheel will be trued on Thursday. $18. Sigh.

Old 08-07-06, 02:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a firm believer that when it comes to wives (or husbands for that matter), one should ALWAYS have a favorite, specifically the one you have at the moment. This is based on the assumption that one wife (or one husband) is sufficient at any one time...

And my current wife is DEFINITELY my cro-moly, sweet-spinnin', easy-on-the-eyes favorite of all time. (no smiley face ever designed is sufficient to illustrate this point)
Old 08-07-06, 04:02 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Gee, why didn't i think of this???

Wheel will be trued on Thursday. $18. Sigh.
Thats Cheap. Its on a par with what we would be charged over here but I put the Tandem wheels in a couple of weeks ago. These do go through it and The freehubs were stripped aswell and the Bearings checked and relaced. Now this was for a pair of wheels and the cost was (Quick check on the currency rate and Tax and the doughnuts) just under $100. Mind you- that was the first time they had been checked in 2 years and had probably done about 3,000 miles of hard work. Mind you- The initial cost of these wheels would probably buy you your Seqoia at your low prices. Thinking back and the exchange rate again and I am certain your sequoia will be cheaper. Especially with the sales coming up.

Spike Milligan