Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Great Blueberry Pie Challenge -- Time To Sign Up (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/218894-great-blueberry-pie-challenge-time-sign-up.html)

DnvrFox 08-12-06 03:43 PM

Great Blueberry Pie Challenge -- Time To Sign Up

I've updated the list today (09/15/2006) Did I miss anyone?

Participants eat blueberry (if available) pie (or seasonal pie) in a cafe' (or the closest thing they can find to a cafe') on the 3rd Saturday in September in the middle of a bicycle ride of at least 15 miles.

Afterwards, we will document your experiences with photographs of wonderful cafe's, delicious pies and stories.

Cyclist0094 08-12-06 04:43 PM

I'll sign up, However blueberries will be out of season. I'll have to freeze some....

jppe 08-12-06 04:58 PM

Uh, I have my second hardest ride of the year the next day. Any chance I can qualify by delaying my participation until Sept 17? I think I can meet the mileage requirements as the ride finishes at the top of Grandfather Mountain after 102 miles. I'm sure I will have an appetite for blueberry pie afterwards.......and cherry, pecan, chocolate.........

centexwoody 08-12-06 05:12 PM

[quote=jppe}Uh, I have my second hardest ride of the year the next day.[/quote]

If it's only the 2nd hardest ride of the year, then what's the problem? Use Ride for PIE as a warm-down prep treat or be remembered forever as the BF50+'er that used riding his bike as an excuse...:D (just kidding)

starship 08-12-06 09:27 PM

OK, I just signed up!

It's a Saturday I have off, and already looking forward to it. My wife will join me, she's over 50, but not a member of this forum (yet)

Digital Gee 08-12-06 10:18 PM

Sign me up! :)

ollo_ollo 08-12-06 10:42 PM

I'm always up for pie so sign me up too.

Monoborracho 08-13-06 07:27 AM

Dnvr, I can't commit just yet. Thought things were getting better after surgery but an X-ray on Friday confirmed a stray pain. One of the anchor screws for the ratator cuff repair came out of the bone and is pointing straight out of the shoulder. The X-ray looks like something out of a Disney cartoon. I'll let you know.

never_be_rich 08-13-06 03:33 PM

Since I like to ride at dawn, can I have blueberry pancakes instead of pie? Also, a whole lot less lard!

Dchiefransom 08-13-06 03:45 PM

I'm in. Got vacation that week. I wonder if there's any other members in the South Bay Area that know of a place we could ride to and meet up for some pie.

CrossChain 08-13-06 03:57 PM

Just signed up. Cool idea. Will bake my own for post ride piggery-- eat your hearts out-- Irma has met her match.

***I won't even consider rivaling Irma for her Deep Fried Cheese Curd.

jwbnyc 08-13-06 04:23 PM

I can do this.

:)

rck 08-13-06 05:30 PM

Sign me up! Also sign Skipper up. He cannot do it for himself as his computer still refuses to recognize the existence of the bike forums.

BubbaDog 08-14-06 04:16 AM

Bring it on! We have the Flying Saucer Pie Company here in Houston, purveyors of many a fine pie :D ....

Flying Saucer Pies

B'Dog

Digital Gee 08-14-06 11:47 AM

How strict are the rules? I don't really want to carry a lock with me, so I'd prefer to have my pie (and eat it too!) at home after the ride. :)

cooker 08-14-06 12:49 PM

Twenty.

howsteepisit 08-14-06 01:00 PM

Twentyone I hope

cooker 08-14-06 01:00 PM

I'm in for the blueberry challenge. My kid Robb loves blueberry pie so I'll try to drag him along...but not sure if it'll be available so late. Next year can we try for an August date? I'll have to scout out a cafe ahead of time but it will be an urban ride inside Toronto.
"Bluet" is French (or at least the Quebec term) for blueberry and also the slang term for French Canadians from the Saguenay region of Quebec, so I propose we all consider ourselves "bluets" for a day.

DnvrFox 08-14-06 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
How strict are the rules? I don't really want to carry a lock with me, so I'd prefer to have my pie (and eat it too!) at home after the ride. :)

What say you all?

As long as we get pictures, fine by me.

Cyclist0094 08-14-06 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
What say you all?

As long as we get pictures, fine by me.

I was going to bake mine and take it with me also. There is good coffee at a little store about 20 miles from here that would go well with a slice of pie

About the only blueberry pie to be found around here in September is going to be Hostess (yuk)

From Diet Detective:
Homemade blueberry pie 360 calories 17 grams fat
Hostess blueberry pie snack cake 480 Calories 21 grams of fat

centexwoody 08-14-06 08:10 PM

There is ONE RULE:

1) must be a pie made from some sort of fruit

OR

1) must be blueberry something (pie, pancakes, ice cream, jam)

AND

1) you must send a picture...

Coloradopenguin 08-14-06 10:33 PM

I'll bite! ;-)
Except the peaches are in season on the Western Slope, so I'll be following my nose to a fresh-baked pie.

HopedaleHills 08-15-06 04:10 AM

Oh heck, I'm in.

centexwoody 08-15-06 07:56 AM

+ 1 rule: ride must be the equivalent of 15 miles to earn PIE

THEREFORE:

jppe can earn his pie AFTER his 2nd hardest ride of the year

Monobarracho can earn his pie from the trainer riding = 15 miles

DeeGee can earn his pie without having to carry his bike lock & slow him down in the 15 miles

cruzMOK can earn his pie while imagining himself riding 15 miles & pressing on the painful spot in the back of his leg

Will Dehne has a 200-mile radius in which to earn his pie

Webb Diego can earn his pie by protecting the rest of us from the mean streets

Dnvr can earn his pie by riding 15 miles & singing all 4 parts of hymns in SPEBQ-style

PastorBob can earn his pie by preaching the sermon of his life based around the moral lessons associated with earning the right to eat blueberry pie

Need I go on? :D

Digital Gee 08-15-06 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by centexwoody
+ 1 rule: ride must be the equivalent of 15 miles to earn PIE

THEREFORE:

jppe can earn his pie AFTER his 2nd hardest ride of the year

Monobarracho can earn his pie from the trainer riding = 15 miles

DeeGee can earn his pie without having to carry his bike lock & slow him down in the 15 miles

cruzMOK can earn his pie while imagining himself riding 15 miles & pressing on the painful spot in the back of his leg

Will Dehne has a 200-mile radius in which to earn his pie

Webb Diego can earn his pie by protecting the rest of us from the mean streets

Dnvr can earn his pie by riding 15 miles & singing all 4 parts of hymns in SPEBQ-style

PastorBob can earn his pie by preaching the sermon of his life based around the moral lessons associated with earning the right to eat blueberry pie

Need I go on? :D

Yes. What about you? Can you earn your pie by landscaping 15 miles of Texas, for instance?