Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ever gotten sick while riding?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-06, 08:51 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Today was a beautiful day to ride in NC. Temps on the low 80's, low humidity and a little breeze.

I had planned to do a long ride today as most of the rides I've done the last few weeks have been in the 30-40 mile range. I have several centuries coming up over the next 6 weeks and just wanted to do something today with some mileage and not worry about speed. The plan was to end up over at the in-laws house and the route I'd chosen would be just a hair under 100 miles. My wife would meet me over there and bring me back home after supper.

I didn't feel great to begin with.......I think that had more to do with the Mexican food last night for supper. You'd think I'd know better by now. At about 65 miles I just started feeling pretty puny.......I started to lose energy like you do when you get the flu or a bug. I pressed on but found myself spending a lot of time grinding away in the 39 into a headwind.

I thought about pulling over and having someone come get me but I kept going. At about 85 miles I stopped at a store and got a coke and ate a pack of peanut butter crackers. The coke picked me up a little and I struggled in the last 10 miles. I was getting chills, fever, etc so I must have picked up a bug somewhere.

Funny, but I mentioned to someone just the other day that since I started riding 5 years ago I had not come close to getting sick. I could definitely tell something wasn't right as I was getting deeper into today's ride.

At least my Mother-in-law had baked up a wonder apple pie that we enjoyed for desert. For a little while I forgot how bad I was feeling.

Ever gotten sick while riding and how did you deal with it?