Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trek FX 7300

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trek FX 7300

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 09:26 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Trek FX 7300

Hi all,I was wondering if you heard of anybody making long trips with one of the FX models. Yes here we go again Gary. I was at the bike shop and they have a FX 7300 marked down and that got the wheels rolling again. They keep trying to put me on a road bike but I just can't do it.They put me on a Cannondale to take for a spin and it's a beautiful bike,but I cant lean over for any long periods of time. He told me as far as I'll be able to go then, as far as bikes that is, would be the FX's.I looked at the geometries and there pretty close to Treks Pilots,but that Fx looked pretty nice too.I was doing some research on the RST shocks and not to many people like them. One bike shop told me their shocks that should have been just for little kids bikes. Please don't shoot the messenger guys. Anyhow here I am thinking again and that's dangerous. So I took the Fx out for a ride and it handled better than the 7300 and he said he would take a trade. I probably should just have at it and I could always add a good set of shocks later if it doesn't work out. What do you guys think,thanks George
Old 08-24-06, 11:03 AM

End of story, I bought it, George
Old 08-24-06, 01:19 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by George McClusky
End of story, I bought it, George
Those RST forks are not the best in the world but they do suffice for road and gentle trail use. There are lots of models in them though and some of them can be rebuilt if they have a problem. When- or if- you start thinking that the forks are worn out, not up to the job or not suitable for your riding- then come back to the forum and ask our opinions on what to replace them with. In the meantime- get out and ride and try to wreck them as soon as possible. They will be covered by warranty if they go wrong in the first year. Doubt as to whether you will wreck them- but you might wish for an upgrade in a year or so's time.

Well done on the bike by the way.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-24-06, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess I'm confused...did you buy the FX or the 7300? Those are two different treks on their website.
Old 08-24-06, 02:36 PM
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you won't regret it...take time to fit it properly though...even a quarter inch on the seatpost makes a big difference because it has a longish top tube (let me know what you think of the seat)

I put a carrier and panniers on my 7.5fx (7500fx in 2005) as well as a rear view mirror...longest ride so far is 80km (50 miles, or so), but we're planning a 6 day ride (900km) if time permits...if not this year, then next year for sure.

As Mrs. M. is now retired, we are hoping for a 20 day ride to Newfoundland as well

Congrats on the fx...its fast, it climbs, its very nimble, almost like a roadie

we're hooked on www.crazyguyonabike.com

Cheers
Old 08-24-06, 03:20 PM

The bike Is a Trek FX 7300. They changed the name to FX 7.3 but it's the same bike. As for the seat I put the Brooks B 17 on it.I was kind of tired this morning so we only went 12 miles but I believe I got a keeper.I had to buy a stem riser to bring the bar up 4" and it fits pretty good. I'll have to play around with the saddle a little more but I'm close.Thanks again, George
Old 08-24-06, 07:55 PM
Honorary 50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enjoy!
Old 08-25-06, 07:20 AM
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yep...same bike, only the colour has changed (my kid got the 7500fx last year...a nicer colour than this year's)

Good idea on the riser...i think I have the fit down, but the hands still tingle after a a couple of hours. But, it may be too early to tell.

Hmmm...I've got an old Wright as well as a Brooks in the basement...may give them a try

Have the best weekend you ever had

Cheers
Old 08-25-06, 07:47 AM

I just ordered a comfort stem as well to get the bars a little closer. My wrist were hurting a little yesterday. Thanks, and I'm going for a ride, George
Old 08-25-06, 10:50 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds as though you are working your way into a nice bike. Ride alot and then figure on the modifications required. Enjoy it!!
Old 08-25-06, 11:07 AM

Just canceled the comfort stem and just stayed with the riser and it worked out pretty well.I had a lot of wind this morning and if I put the comfort stem on I'd be catching to much wind. I found out that you can't cancel anything for Nashbar once you call it in. I told the person I just ordered it 2 hours ago. See said just send it back. I said it's going to cost more to send it back and forth than it's worth. She said I cant help it,that's policy. So I said give me the manager. She said the manager is busy,I'll wait,finally the order is canceled. Just wanted to let you know,George