Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The 2nd surgery-ugly

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The 2nd surgery-ugly

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-06, 01:55 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
The 2nd surgery-ugly

I'm back home and using one hand after having my second shoulder surgery. The pain at 8 weeks was too much and x-ray did not look right. This time incisions, a 2" and 1" on top of june surgery. Rotator cuff had retorn and two anchors pulled out and all right shouler inflamed. Two-three weeks of immobility before therapy begins so don't know when will ride again.

HHH was today, so maybe next year. Can't hardly type. I'll keep you guys posted.

Best regards to all..........Monoborracho
Old 08-26-06, 02:31 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You'd better keep us posted, If nothing else- the typing will give therapy for the shoulder.

You are just about judging your extra rest at the right time. Summer is beginning to go and time for getting the catalogues and magazines out to find out all the latest gen on the bike scene.

Keep reading and keep posting and when the Pie ride comes up- I'll eat your slice, unless you can get out to a decent cafe by physical effort.

Sorry about the extra rest- but think of all that pent up energy you will have when you come back- Century as your first Ride?

Spike Milligan
Old 08-26-06, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went through rotator cuff surgery several years ago. Mine was a major (big cuts), I know I don't need to tell you this but, take care of yourself. The only thing I didn't like about therapy was having to leave it when it was over. Had a super bunch of people taking care of me.
Old 08-26-06, 02:43 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heal well, MB...we'll be thinking of you. And don't let that English rascal eat your pie.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-26-06, 02:56 PM
On the road again!

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 2006 Bianchi Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feel better. An apple a day and all that (and the best apples are wrapped in crust!).

Take care,

Shelley
Old 08-26-06, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Let's hope this time the healing is a true one. Best wishes.
Old 08-26-06, 04:04 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You'll be in my prayers, Monoborracho. Heal up soon!
Old 08-26-06, 04:57 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good wishes for a fast healing Monoborracho........How sweet that saddle will feel when you get back.
Old 08-26-06, 05:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Monoborracho, BEST WISHES FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY. TAKE CARE!
Old 08-26-06, 05:33 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry the first one didn't work...be careful and judicious in taking care of yourself. What a bummer to be waylaid a 2nd time. We'll keep you in mind as the healing begins...take your vitamins, eat healthy, try to sit on the trainer.

Tom
Old 08-26-06, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck!! I know what you are going through. April 13th of this year I had shoulder surgery. Mine turned out to be that I was dislocating out the back and all the legaments were torn, plus bone spurs. I was in a sling and brace 24 hrs a day till May 31. I started PT mid May and still at it. I was orginally told I wouldn't be able to get on bike till late Fall, Therapist had said next spring. Dr. allowed me back on bike early June as long as I went easy and hands only on top of bar. In mid July I was allowed to go into the drops and best of all I could stand. My butt needed that Since June I have been able to ride 1700 miles pain free. I'm hoping to do a century in couple weeks. Every mile I have rode this year has been a bonus for me. I'm not anywhere near 100% but I'm getting there. my advice , do only what the Dr. says, don't try to rush things.
Old 08-27-06, 07:26 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jsxcsnow
Good luck!! I know what you are going through. April 13th of this year I had shoulder surgery. Mine turned out to be that I was dislocating out the back and all the legaments were torn, plus bone spurs. I was in a sling and brace 24 hrs a day till May 31. I started PT mid May and still at it. I was orginally told I wouldn't be able to get on bike till late Fall, Therapist had said next spring. Dr. allowed me back on bike early June as long as I went easy and hands only on top of bar. In mid July I was allowed to go into the drops and best of all I could stand. My butt needed that Since June I have been able to ride 1700 miles pain free. I'm hoping to do a century in couple weeks. Every mile I have rode this year has been a bonus for me. I'm not anywhere near 100% but I'm getting there. my advice , do only what the Dr. says, don't try to rush things.
Man I like hearing the outcome. Where you were adter surgery is about where I am now. Big bone spur in first surgery, and 2 inch tear. This time it was mess of new tears, loose anchors and inflammation. Brace 24 hrs / day for 2-3 weeks. I'm just hoping to get back to riding some by Oct.

Thanks guys for all the encouragement.