Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Getting ready for winter (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/225037-getting-ready-winter.html)

stapfam 09-02-06 11:34 AM

Getting ready for winter

I know it is the height of Summer for some of you but I have just started to get ready for my winter riding. Just dug the leggings out from the Cupboard and checked for no holes in critical places on them, Found the Knickers(Long legged bibs that go just below the knees), but they have a hole in the knee that needs a patch on it after my last off on the Tandem, Found the roubaix top to go with the lighweight fleece that, if I can find it, will go in the waterproof top. Then the goretex and although this is 8 years old- still looks in pristine condition and is still waterproof. The bike has had the seat tube greased and all the cables have been checked for rust and crud.

Only leaves the lights now and I have had enough of riding on candle power. I have just ordered a new front light. This is the DGS BLX of the lighting world. A Fully enclosed sealed unit with battery enclosed in the lamp so no separate battery and leads to cause problems. I saw this light in use last year on an organised night ride and they are fantastic. Only 2 x 5w luxeon bulds- in other words 2x 5watt bulbs- but these are the toprated Led's. How they can call it a 5w bulb but it gives out 3 times as much power I have never understood- and it is the same with the HID bulbs in use on the normal high powered lamps. Battery life will be fine for our Midweek rides on full power so no excuse for hitting the trees any more. Then if I want to do the extended rides then 8 hours of life should be long enough. Cost of them is not cheap But I went to my LBS and gave him the chance of supplying me at the same price. He met the price so no problem. Normal retail is about $630 but I can get them for $540 and he matched the price. Bl**dy He"". I can get a new bike for the price of this lamp, but if it stops my pilot on the Tandem trying to conserve battery life by switching them off on the slow uphills and taking the wrong path and giving us a 5 mile detour to refind the trail, then I will be happy.

http://www.use1.com/exposure/product...duro/index.php

NOS88 09-02-06 11:56 AM

Stapfam, I wish I had your attitude about the impending winter months. I dread them and avoid anything that remotely reminds me that the dark and cold is headed toward the northern hemisphere.

Cyclist0094 09-02-06 12:18 PM

I like winter riding when it stays cold and everything isn't too iced up. I have an extra set of wheels with studded MTB tires I use on the rail trails and MUP's. On clear days when the roads are dry I'll ride the roadbike. I try to ride a century every New Years day if the weather permits( missed it this year).
I dress in layers and add and remove clothing as I go to keep warm and safe. I start with a merino wool base layer and then Polyproplene layers as needed with a Goretex shell and windproof tights. Both pairs of my winter tights are worn out , I'll stock up on new tights and otherwinter riding gear at the MEC store (like REI but cheaper) in Montreal when my wife and I go there in 4 weeks.
I don't ride at night, Cars here aren't expecting a bicycle in the middle of winter The rails trails and most MUP's are open to snowmobiles between 6pm and 6 am.

milt 09-02-06 07:43 PM

This may sound like a strange question, but where do guys get tights for winter riding. This will be the first winter that I plan to ride as much as possible. Are they "cycling specific" tights, or simply something I could pick up at an REI?

Thanks
Milt (Atlanta)

Grampy™ 09-02-06 08:00 PM

I just remembered that my winter tights have a hole in the left knee form a crash on ice last winter:eek: ..... right before I bought the studded tires.:rolleyes:

Now where did I put my darning needle......

stapfam 09-03-06 12:51 AM

Mine do come from Cycle shops- but Running and good sports shops do them aswell. They do not have to be cycling specific if used as an over-shorts garment. In my earlier days- we used to use a womans legging -just a cheap one from high street shops. Any thing to just keep the draught away from the legs.

Cyclist0094 09-03-06 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by milt
This may sound like a strange question, but where do guys get tights for winter riding. This will be the first winter that I plan to ride as much as possible. Are they "cycling specific" tights, or simply something I could pick up at an REI?

Thanks
Milt (Atlanta)

I lived in Atlanta and other than about of 3 weeks of really cold weather you can ride in thermal tights in the winter( I lived and cycled in Atlanta for 7 years) The wind proof tights have a front panel to keep the wind chill off on the coldest days, Your LBS may be able to order them for you or you can get them from Performance or Nashbar

Here is a Bellweather tight with a windproof front panel which is similiar to what I use down to 10 degrees.
A thicker/ thermal tight like these is what I use for most days between 30-40 deg

NembaBruce 09-03-06 05:42 PM

Winter Riding

1 Attachment(s)
I may choose this method when the snow flies:

p8rider 09-04-06 11:20 AM

You're way ahead of me stapfam. I haven't even begun to look through my winter gear. As for the lights, except for about 2 weeks in June and a week or so in July I must have my headlamp. Since purchasing it at Christmas it has been performing perfectly. Having the headlamp attached to my helmet has really been a plus for me seeing things as the light moves with me as well as for cars seeing me.

oilfreeandhappy 09-04-06 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like riding in a packed snow (see picture). It's the frozen-over ruts and ice that I won't ride in...

trackhub 09-04-06 03:30 PM

I'm in Boston, so we have a ways to go before winter hits for real. We still have some summer left, and this usually contiues until the end of september.

Northern New England, in places such as Colebrook NH, or Montpelier Vermont, it is said that winter can come any time after Labor Day.

7.rider 09-05-06 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by milt

Thanks
Milt (Atlanta)

REI has cycling specific tights as do most LBS as well as winter cycling pants. Layering is key. I'll ride down to about 30 Deg F and I can keep my body warm with a base layer like Under Armour, a long under wear mid layer (forgot the brand I have, but Pategonia, North Face, etc. should all have something), and an outer layer shell that is wind-proof in front and breathes out the back (REI's Headwind jacket works great for me). If it's in the upper 30s' to lower 40's, I use a fleece jersey instead of the jacket. For my head, I have a lightweight Balaclava for when it's in the low 30's and a winter skull cap for when it's warmer.

It's my hands and feet that get cold. So I use gloves with inserts and carry extra inserts so when I stop for a rest, I have dry inserts. For my feet, I have Lake Winter cycling boot (they are great!) for low 30's and Pearl Izumi AmFib shoe covers and booties for when it is in the upper 30's, lower 40's.

I ride my hard tail moutain bike (I use it as a cross country or off trail bike) a lot becuse of the little snow and slush we get arund here and adjust my pedals to their lowest tension to I can get out of them faster when needed. Like last winter winter when I hit a stretch of snow that had iced over - I found the rear wheel sliding to my left and catching up to the front wheel. When It's dry, I'll ride my road bike or my fitness bike (road frame, road gearing, flat handlebar).

I love cycling in the winter! Especially the looks on the people's faces when it's 30 degrees outside and I ride up to and walk into the coffe shop to get a "Mint Condition," (chocolate mint latte) ...yes I know..a foo-foo drink, but hey I am riding all winter! Gotta Love It!!

7.rider 09-05-06 01:22 PM

One more thought, just like in skiing or snowboarding, I start out chilly so when I warm up I don't have to stop and peel off a layer.

Nermal 09-05-06 01:26 PM

Leggings? Tell me more. This could be ideal, as I sneak in a quick ride at lunch and after work, without a chance to change clothes. Hey, I know what I need. Some nice, lightweight cycling chaps. This is cowboy country, but heavy leather just isn't going to work.

stapfam 09-05-06 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by p8rider
You're way ahead of me stapfam. I haven't even begun to look through my winter gear. As for the lights, except for about 2 weeks in June and a week or so in July I must have my headlamp. Since purchasing it at Christmas it has been performing perfectly. Having the headlamp attached to my helmet has really been a plus for me seeing things as the light moves with me as well as for cars seeing me.

Must admit that the best lamp I have is my helmet lamp. Get a few odd looks when I start a ride in full daylight, but as I will be out for a couple of hours- it proves its worth. Mine has low level leds. so that I can see the computer or the drive chain on the Tandem but fast offroad- wherever you look, you have a light. It also has a 1 watt halogen- that is better than my 5watt knightrider lamps that are relegated to the road bike.