Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sitting/Resting Heart Rate

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: What is you SITTING heart rate?
My sitting heart rate is under 40
0%
My sitting heart rate is 40-44
5.97%
My sitting heart rate is 45-49
14.93%
My sitting heart rate is 50-54
25.37%
My sitting heart rate is 55-59
26.87%
My sitting heart rate is 60-64
10.45%
My sitting heart rate is 65-69
7.46%
My sitting heart rate is 70-74
4.48%
My sitting heart rate is 75-79
1.49%
My sitting heart rate is 80+
2.99%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Sitting/Resting Heart Rate

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 12:14 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My resting heart rate is in the high 60's. Did once get it down to 61 but as soon as I looked at the monitor- it went back up to 68. OK- I've had a bypass. When the Angina attack hit- The ambulance staff were worried that I had a heart rate as low as 45. and on went the sirens and get me to ITU as soon as possible- I stayed in that for 8 hours till the HR got back up to 60.

Heart rate will vary fronm person to person, and those of us with a higher heart rate will not have a problem as long as the pressure is within bounds and it is normal for you.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-08-06, 04:11 PM
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRacer
Whoops--didn't check the origin of this post! I'm NOT WORTHY! I still have a year and 3 months before turning 50.
It's okay. Being 50 is not essential. But we do require that eventually you will turn 50. If you have not turned 50 and have no intentions of eventually turning 50 then we must ask you to leave.
Old 09-08-06, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just have to say that my resting heart rate jumped dramatically when the BF servers were down this afternoon....
Old 09-09-06, 04:23 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be 57 in about a month. My sitting HR varies from about 37 to 44, depending on the time of day. Yes, it freaks doctors out.

I also sometimes have atrial fibrillation, although I haven't had an episode for 8 or 9 months. The episodes I have usually start at night and end in the morning. The docs have never restricted my exercise, but if I have a sleepless night due to afib, I don't do much.

Before I figured out how to deal with the afib, a doctor stuck me in the hospital with it. They give you meds to slow your HR. The afib stopped, but they continued the intravenous meds. My HR kept going down to around 30, which sets off all sorts of alarms in a cardiac unit. Once I convinced them to stop the IV, my rate was still only in the high 30's, and a nurse told me I needed a pace maker.

Today, I rode a little over 30 miles at an average of 15.2 mph, with an average HR of 108. I think my heart is okay.

John
Old 09-10-06, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
45 here. Never bothered to check it before. I am certain it has improved since I have been back into cycling so much.
Caruso
Old 09-10-06, 10:47 AM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Denver,

51 bpm

56 years old

6' x 200 lbs

BUT, I am disqualified . . . I wasn't "not doing anything!" I was on Bike Forums avoiding doing the dishes!

Tyson
Cushing, Oklahoma
Old 09-10-06, 11:10 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Already replied that I am up in the high 60's but on my coffee break this morning after around 20 miles- I started at a rate of 105- This very quickly dropped to 80 and eventually to 75. Back home and I was shatterred so lay on the settee resting my eyes and the alarm on the Monitor went off within 2 minutes. I hadn't missed any of the F1 racing. The alarm is set to 65. It did drop to 61 after a while so I am more pleased that my recovery time to get to low resting rate was only 10 minutes after finishing the ride. Why it didn't do it at the coffee braek I don't know. Must have been all the young girls that were on the table next to me.

Spike Milligan