Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Vintage Cruiser's anyone?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 11:16 AM

Bikes: '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just have to post this finally. I picked up a 1963 Schwinn American, coaster brake, fat tire, newspaper boy handlebars, brick tire tread. It is alot like my first bike, a Typhoon that I had forgotten so much about. It brings a different perspective to riding. If you want to go fast, it'll let you know that you need to go back and switch bikes. It's about as aero as a fully rigged windjammer. It weighs as much as a good horse...but I like it. I'm commuting on it and use it for short trips around town. The old boy who had it took impeccable care of what's inside, the hubs and bottom bracket look brand new. But the paint is faded and it looks like how I feel alot of mornings.

It's just been nice to get back to my roots in a way. After a 2,000 mile summer I enjoy the feeling. And it is as silent as a fixed gear, pedalling or coasting. Just curious if anyone else has one of the old beasts...
Old 08-31-06, 11:34 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I haven't yet had it on the road, but I recently picked up a Schwinn Corvette 3 speed built in October 1955 that is pretty much ridable except for the front brake is bent, and the spokes and rims are rusted.

I am looking forward to riding a bike that is slightly older than I am, after I spend the winter getting the wheels into shape... I plan to clean the rims and replace the spokes. I may also paint it, but I am actually leaning against that at the moment... although it really needs it! The chain guard was painted black (the bike is blue) and the front rack was mounted to the rear. Other than that and tires looking more recent, it is pretty much as bought (with the obvious aging of more than 50 years).

I am looking forward to riding it in the spring.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-01-06, 04:04 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Come on you two! Post pictures! I've swapped the original two-tone (white and gold) saddle on my '66 Collegiate with a B-72 Brooks. I rode it 18 miles on Wednesday and I didn't have to push up one of my NH hills. What was really interesting were some of the looks I received from other road bike cyclists passing in the opposite direction; some politely waved or nodded, others sneered and wouldn't look. Near the end of the ride I pulled over to take a better look at a pair of loons on the lake, and while I was stopped, a roadie passed in the direction I was heading. He was on a newer C-Dale 27 speed. I started back and wondered if I could catch him. I did so in less than 1/2 mile. Not bad from a 40 year old, 35-40 lb., 5 speed bike! You should have seen the look on his face when I pulled along side him and said "Howdy." When we reached the next stop sign he sheepishly asked which way I was heading. I said, "left." He immediately turned right!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Collegiate Rear 1.JPG (71.5 KB, 38 views)

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-01-06, 04:49 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I forgot... I had posted in C&V.

Here is the pic... not great quality photography, but I have the seat off now, so it is all I have.

Note the rear rack, which originally was installed on the front... The person whu swapped it hooked it to the bottom of the seat, so a change of seat position changes the angle of the rack.

Other than that, the bolt holding it under the seat not being the proper mounting bolt for the front, pedals and tires, I suspect the rest might be original.

Sturmey Archer hub is dated March 1955, the frame serial number indicates late October 1955.

As I said, I am looking forward to riding it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P8080107.JPG (48.0 KB, 49 views)

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-01-06, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
...He was on a newer C-Dale 27 speed. I started back and wondered if I could catch him. I did so in less than 1/2 mile. Not bad from a 40 year old, 35-40 lb., 5 speed bike! You should have seen the look on his face when I pulled along side him and said "Howdy." When we reached the next stop sign he sheepishly asked which way I was heading. I said, "left." He immediately turned right!

I'll bet that put a smile on your face!
Old 09-01-06, 09:33 AM
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by NOS88
I'll bet that put a smile on your face!
It made me feel really good and push extra hard when I rode the 27 year old Schwinn road bike yesterday. I made record time (for me ) on my round-the-lake ride. Now if I can only get the painter to finish the frame on the '66 Paramount.

Old 09-01-06, 10:19 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It made me feel really good and push extra hard when I rode the 27 year old Schwinn road bike yesterday. I made record time (for me ) on my round-the-lake ride. Now if I can only get the painter to finish the frame on the '66 Paramount.
It hopefully will be quicker than 55Rad's paint job.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-01-06, 04:54 PM
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by Baggsy
I just have to post this finally. I picked up a 1963 Schwinn American, coaster brake, fat tire, newspaper boy handlebars, brick tire tread. It is alot like my first bike....
Baggsy, post us a picture of your American! We want to see your "new" "old" ride.

Old 09-03-06, 05:24 PM

Bikes: '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll try to line up a camera, I have a Collegiate 5 speed with road bars, and an early 60's three speed Racer, a 73 Varsity, and an early High Plains mnt bike. I have an affinity for the old Schwinns, and it seems like they're almost pretty easy to find around here. I'll get pictures when I can...
Old 09-03-06, 09:59 PM
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a '69 (or '70) Schwinn Racer at a garage sale over the weekend. Single speed, coaster brakes, block pedals, red with chrome fenders. (It was the chrome fenders that made it impossible to pass up.) What a kick! Riding one of those old horses is SO different from what I am used to. I'm sitting so straight up neither my sainted Grandma nor my old drill sargeant could criticize my posture. It doesn't have the original saddle (it needs to be red and white with a white S) and I put on new tires, but everything else seems original. Except for some surface rust and the occasional glitch on the paint it is in fine fettle. It's going to be fun buffing it back into shape. There is a charm and comfort to these simple old cruisers that's been forgotten. It's just pure bicycle. Two wheels and a chain.
Old 09-04-06, 09:11 PM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Near the end of the ride I pulled over to take a better look at a pair of loons on the lake, and while I was stopped, a roadie passed in the direction I was heading. He was on a newer C-Dale 27 speed. I started back and wondered if I could catch him. I did so in less than 1/2 mile. Not bad from a 40 year old, 35-40 lb., 5 speed bike!
This story reminds me of my ride yesterday. I went for a ride with a lady friend of mine who has a 21 year old Hufffy Good Vibrations. She rode around 10 to 13 miles per hour on the single speed and rode over 11 miles. I was impressed with both the bike and the casual rider.
Old 09-13-06, 02:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just curious if anyone else has one of the old beasts...
Does the 1973 Schwinn Speedster and Breeze fit into this category? They are the 3-speeds and have lots of chrome. If so, I just dropped off both at the LBS to be tuned up. Should pick them up in a few days.
Old 09-13-06, 04:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heck yeah! I've got a Racer with the three speed Sturmey Archer in it and it's still a classy town ride. I think the older Jaguar, Typhoon, American, etc were considered 'heavy-weights', with the Speedster, Collegiate, Racer, etc were considered middle-weights, but they are all 'cruisers' as near as I can tell. All classics, and all been around long enough to be considered worthy of attention. If I remember correctly, the original mnt bike was a Scwhinn cruiser...
Old 09-13-06, 05:17 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I think the older Jaguar, Typhoon, American, etc were considered 'heavy-weights', with the Speedster, Collegiate, Racer, etc were considered middle-weights, but they are all 'cruisers' as near as I can tell.
You are off by one. The cantilever framed bikes like my Corvette were called middle weights, the diamond framed bikes were called light weights, and some like the Schwinn Le Tour line etc were called extra lights... All were obviously heavier than the current lines of road bikes.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-13-06, 07:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks LD...were there any called 'Heavy Weights'? They musta been a tank!