Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

PERFECT Ride For The Pie weather!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 01:06 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today I took one last practice Ride for Pie before tomorrow's big international event, and was so excited that the weather has decided to be perfect for the ride. 68 degrees, winds at about 10 mph, cloud cover, and the scent of autumn in the air. September and October are my favorite months in San Diego, and after one of the hottest summers on record, it's good to be back in normal temperatures!

I believe I've trained properly for tomorrow's ride; I'm stoked and the bike is ready, the pie awaits. Away!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pie Eating Collage small.jpg (88.0 KB, 16 views)

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-15-06, 01:13 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
One Question....

I'm in the South now. Does a Moon Pie count? Most here would say yes.
Old 09-15-06, 01:22 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moon Pies lack 'elan!

"Beerenkuchen mit schlagsahne, bitte"
I too am looking forward to pie tomorrow: unfortunately I've not found a single fellow rider willing or available to ride 25 km to get pie. At least I've located at least 3 konditorei bakeries that have fresh seasonal berries baked into their pies this week...
Old 09-15-06, 01:44 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by centexwoody
Moon Pies lack 'elan!

"Beerenkuchen mit schlagsahne, bitte"
I too am looking forward to pie tomorrow: unfortunately I've not found a single fellow rider willing or available to ride 25 km to get pie. At least I've located at least 3 konditorei bakeries that have fresh seasonal berries baked into their pies this week...
Can't relate to Germany- as I have never been there but if the GOOD bakeries over there are as Good as the GOOD French ones- You must be able to find something with fruit in it. If you can't- Just buy anything that takes your fancy and savour the experience.- And do the ride when you get back home.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-15-06, 01:55 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, the important axis of meaning for the day is PIE and then some sincere attempt to relate it to riding the bike will flow naturally under the influence of said pie...

The largest flea market in the state tomorrow just a few miles downrivere & I've agreed to ride to the mkt site and meet a colleague. Strolling the junk / treasure dealers for an hour will give my friend, a native, opportunity to contemplate the true gift of being fed pie on this auspicious occasion. That also means I'm assured of pie somewhere somehow whether I get to the miles tomorrow or Sunday...what do Germans drink with their pie?

The special summertime cyclists' drink is called 'ein Radler', literally 'a Cyclist' which is .5 liter stein of Koelsch beer with a healthy percentage of sprite added. Such tastes welcome after lunchtime and on into our warm evenings.
Old 09-15-06, 02:02 PM
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Can't relate to Germany- as I have never been there but if the GOOD bakeries over there are as Good as the GOOD French ones- You must be able to find something with fruit in it. If you can't- Just buy anything that takes your fancy and savour the experience.- And do the ride when you get back home.
The one thing I miss about Louisville, Kentucky is the German bakeries. The Gluck, Heitzman, and Bruggensmith Bakeries were all marvelous places. Nothing in the world is better after Sunday Mass than a butter kuchen.
Old 09-15-06, 02:23 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
One Question....

I'm in the South now. Does a Moon Pie count? Most here would say yes.
If it's blueberry moon pie.

Be sure to drink RC Cola with it! (pronounced "ahruh-see")
Old 09-15-06, 02:46 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
RC and Moon Pies, the breakfast of champions!

I just got some surprise marching orders for my ride. A leader of the Bicycle Advocacy of Central Arkansas just emailed me wanting to arrange a meeting 8 miles away from my house at a location serving pie. It's a sign from God.
Old 09-15-06, 02:55 PM
Do I use too many commas?

Bikes: Giant Yukon SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Y'all are in the south. There should be pecan pie, chocolate pie, cream pie, apple, ...

Wait a minute! I don't remember seeing berry pies during the years I worked in the south!
Old 09-15-06, 09:16 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
If it's blueberry moon pie.

Be sure to drink RC Cola with it! (pronounced "ahruh-see")
I don't think moon pies come in blueberry. But you beat me to it when it came to the 'RC Cola' and how to pronounce it.