Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Cigarette Smoking Poll - Have You and When? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/229974-cigarette-smoking-poll-have-you-when.html)

DnvrFox 09-19-06 06:52 PM

Cigarette Smoking Poll - Have You and When?

Cigarette Smoking Poll - For 50+'rs.

Have You and When?

Please choose the option CLOSEST to your situation. Obviously the responses are stated generally, and all possibile combinations are not available.

Your screen name response will show.

mewkiss 09-19-06 07:24 PM

You left out "I smoked for many years but stopped long ago". That would be 13 years ago in my case. It still thrills me to be a non-smoker.

roccobike 09-19-06 07:35 PM

I started smoking when I was in college. It was then I found out I was deathly allergic to cigarettes. The allergy was (is) so severe, it kept me from joining the Air Force and from being drafted into the army in 1969, the height of the Viet Nam conflict. When I went to a singles bar, I had to shower that night or I would wake with a swollen face. While dating my wife, she had to stop smoking or we could not get married.
This allergy gave me no choice, stop or it would stop me.

jazzy_cyclist 09-19-06 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by mewkiss
You left out "I smoked for many years but stopped long ago". That would be 13 years ago in my case. It still thrills me to be a non-smoker.

+1. I smoked for 14, quit 23 years ago.

DnvrFox 09-19-06 07:45 PM

There is no poll ever written that hasn't "left out" something.

Just choose "other option"or the closest choice.

Seems to me that

'I smoked several years and then stopped a few years ago"

is pretty darn close.

TysonB 09-19-06 07:47 PM

Are we talkin' tobacco here?

Just interested, of course. It might make a difference.

Tyson

John E 09-19-06 09:42 PM

I am a lifelong tobacco-hater. California's ban on indoor smoking, particularly in workplaces, has been a tremendous blessing.

dauphin 09-19-06 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by John E
I am a lifelong tobacco-hater. California's ban on indoor smoking, particularly in workplaces, has been a tremendous blessing.

Some lifelong tobacco users are also tobacco haters...

GeorgeBaby 09-19-06 09:51 PM

Amen to that -- I quite 1/1/1988, and there are still times when I'd like a cigarette, but I am truly thankful I was able to quit.

Scooper 09-19-06 10:15 PM

I tried a few when I was 13 or 14, got caught by my teacher and dragged into the principal's office where a telephone receiver was shoved at me already connected to my parents, and I was told to confess my delinquent behavior. Both my parents were three-pack-a-day Camel smokers, and to his credit my dad told me that if I really liked them, I could keep on smoking them and he'd even buy them for me. But, he said, if I felt dizzy and sick to my stomach, coughed, and didn't like the smell or the taste, "don't you ever touch another damn one of them."

I got the message. Emphasyma got my mom at age 54, and dad had lung cancer and died at age 67. The house I grew up in reeked of the smell of stale tobacco, and on later visits I wondered how I had stood the stench all those years. There were five of us kids, and none of us ever picked up the habit.

Big Paulie 09-19-06 10:21 PM

I've never smoked, but have second-hand smoke induced asthma from my childhood home environment, my father died of lung cancer at a relatively young age, and I had to quit the best job I ever had becasue it was in an office where smoking was allowed and heavily practiced...back before smoking was banned in most offices.

So, without ever having taken a single drag, my life has been defined in many ways by smoking.

dauphin 09-19-06 10:22 PM

that stinks Paulie

backinthesaddle 09-19-06 10:30 PM

+1

Stopped 33 years ago :D

DnvrFox 09-20-06 05:31 AM

I am amazed at the number of folks who never smoked a cigarette. I thought I would be the only one!

Pman 09-20-06 05:42 AM

33 years of smoking, 3 years smoke free. It is truly a horrible habit!

Artkansas 09-20-06 05:56 AM

You didn't have I tried once or twice but never started.

You didn't have, I don't smoke cigarettes, but I'd love to take a ride in Willie Nelson's bus.

DnvrFox 09-20-06 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Artkansas
You didn't have I tried once or twice but never started.

You didn't have, I don't smoke cigarettes, but I'd love to take a ride in Willie Nelson's bus.

"I smoked a few and then stopped"

Man, you guys are TOUGH! (and rough) :D

I didn't know Willie still had a bus. I thought the IRS took it.

Artkansas 09-20-06 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Scooper
I got the message. Emphasyma got my mom at age 54, and dad had lung cancer and died at age 67. The house I grew up in reeked of the smell of stale tobacco, and on later visits I wondered how I had stood the stench all those years. There were five of us kids, and none of us ever picked up the habit.

When I was a teen, my mom was coughing her lungs up from her smoking, a strong message to all her kids. I hear you about how did we ever not notice the smell.:rolleyes:

NOS88 09-20-06 06:51 AM

+1 Over 20 years ago. Don't miss it a bit, and am thankful neither of my kids have picked up the habit.

bike4life 09-20-06 07:20 AM

One, and only one, anti-smoking session in the 5th grade, complete with pictures of blackened lungs from an autopsy, was all it took to keep me from ever, ever, ever, lighting up. God bless the Surgeon General!

starship 09-20-06 08:23 AM

I suppose I will state that I have never smoked a Cigarette. That's a true statement.

I do own a collection of pipes and might enjoy a bowl once or twice a week. Some weeks not at all.

Olebiker 09-20-06 08:28 AM

That would be me. My last cigarette was a Lark that I bummed off my doctor on November 19, 1969.

seafoam 09-20-06 09:51 AM

Never smoked. Spent too much of my childhood terrified by my mom's smoking and her determination to smoke more if ever questioned about it. She had a stroke from it, then we found out that my pop had lung cancer. He had smoked as a young man, but never in my memory. Dust from work as a driller and thick smoke at home can't have helped. So - much of my adult life was spent caring for people whose health had been destroyed by smoking, smoke, and other junk in the air. I have a sister with terrible asthma, and I remember sitting in the back seat of the car, not being allowed to open the car windows, gasping for breath. Can't believe it didn't contribute to my sister's problems. Have a grown daughter right now (with asthma) who is breaking my heart because she has taken up smoking. Probably thinks it makes her look cool, working as a musician in the L.A. club scene. Helps keep off the weight, too -- something else foolish young women look at as a reasonable reason to smoke. After all, they can quit any time, right?

I love someone very much who can attest to how difficult it is to quit.

Sorry, guys. This one hits so close to home. To all of you who have found the strength to quit, let me tell you how much the people who love you are relieved and thankful. And just think about how pretty you smell now!

SYV Rider 09-20-06 10:08 AM

This needs to be an option.

I totally agree, Mewkiss! That option needs to be included. I smoked "way back" in the late 60's, stopped in 1973, and haven't had once since. I HATE smoking - don't all past smokers?!:) Since I've been cycling, my health gets better and better!

dauphin 09-20-06 11:07 AM

It matters not to me, but why do some polls show who and how they voted and some don't? Is that an option when creating the poll? If so, why did you choose the option you did for this particular poll? I'm not saying it's wrong or right, just curious.