Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I'm really missing my spinich.... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/231188-im-really-missing-my-spinich.html)

Grampy™ 09-23-06 05:26 PM

I'm really missing my spinich....

I ate this stuff a lot, now they just cut me off?:cry:

I'm about ready to go out into the yard and graze.......:mad:

CrossChain 09-23-06 06:00 PM

Canned spinach, if you can stomach it, is safe it was announced.....due to the cooking in the can.

mcadam 09-23-06 06:20 PM

Sorry Grampy...but I don't miss it at all. Have a slice of pie, and feel some guilty joy.

NOS88 09-23-06 07:45 PM

I switched to other leafy greens after my second kidney stone. Don't really miss it. In fact, the fall greens I planted last week are starting to come up already. Don't do the canned stuff... go to your local produce mart and get some other greens.... It'll get you through.

ScrubJ 09-23-06 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Grampy™

Me too!

roccobike 09-23-06 08:33 PM

Sounds like you might have 'Mad Endangered Spinich Syndrome' or MESS. I think the Betty Ford clinic has something for that but it costs about $10k a day.
Maybe your right, it's cheaper to go outside and graze.

oilman_15106 09-23-06 09:15 PM

My buddy called and said his wife said it was ok to buy a new toy, a Ford Cobra replica car. But he was wondering about the big bowl of spinach salad his wife was serving him with dinner.

DMF 09-23-06 09:26 PM

I WANT MY SPINACH!

I'm making do with the frozen variety... :(

centexwoody 09-24-06 12:37 AM

The Germans seem to be having absolutely no problem with their spinach - I see it on sale everywhere. Looks like it's time to 'grow your own' in the states.

Now, the lamb sliced & stacked on skewers to be grilled for 'doenners' is a different story...

littledog 09-24-06 06:55 AM

You mean spinach comes in something other than a can? What will they invent next?

PaulH 09-24-06 07:21 AM

they need better marketing:

Only genuine California spinach has organic E. coli

Paul

Retro Grouch 09-24-06 07:24 AM

Me too. My forearms are beginning to atrophy. They're already smaller than my bicepts.

stapfam 09-24-06 07:34 AM

You have biceps? Mine went when I gave up drinking Pints of beer and went onto 1/2's

For those uf us that do not like spiach- You ought to try an Indian Dish to compliment the curries called Sagaloo. Plenty of the green stuff in it but all you can taste are the spices. Fantastic.

will dehne 09-24-06 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by centexwoody
The Germans seem to be having absolutely no problem with their spinach - I see it on sale everywhere. Looks like it's time to 'grow your own' in the states.
Now, the lamb sliced & stacked on skewers to be grilled for 'doenners' is a different story...

"The Germans" are brought up to think that everything better be cooked and served hot.
I remember farming in after WW2 Germany. The contend in our community toilet went straight onto the fields which produced not only spinach. I have actually seen it and smelled it. Nobody died from that as far as I know. However we did wash everything multiple times and cooked the hell out of it.
Organic fertilizer in Germany was the waste from farm animals for many years after that.

DMF 09-24-06 10:09 AM

None of which are new ideas. People have been disposing of crap on the crops as long as there has been both crap and crops.

In the current case, the spinach apparently is being contaminated *after* it leaves the fields.

hi565 09-24-06 06:22 PM

Frozen spinach should be ok...But not for salads:(

linux_author 09-24-06 06:36 PM

- umm, creamed spinach... yum!

- especially with a nice 3-inch thick porterhouse...

Digital Gee 09-24-06 07:09 PM

When growing up, my mother frequently served cooked canned spinach with vinegar. Yuck!!!

Nowadays, fresh spinach salads are always a treat. But that cooked green stuff? Yuck!!!

DMF 09-24-06 07:36 PM

Vinegar?? Was she trying to turn you gay?

Grampy™ 09-24-06 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by DMF
Vinegar?? Was she trying to turn you gay?

That's how I eat my Spinich salads..... with just some vinigar. I also hate the cooked spinich.... icky pooie.

genec 09-25-06 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by hi565
Frozen spinach should be ok...But not for salads:(

far better than canned... yuck to canned spinach.

will dehne 09-25-06 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by DMF
None of which are new ideas. People have been disposing of crap on the crops as long as there has been both crap and crops.

In the current case, the spinach apparently is being contaminated *after* it leaves the fields.

DMF,
I do not know the answer, perhaps you do?
Assume (as you say: crap is being disposed on crops). OK, if that is the case, how do you keep the bacteria away from the produce? Perhaps the crap distributing equipment is stored next to the harvester? Or the mechanics do not wash their hands by going from one to the other? I have a lot of questions but few answers.
I do know this: The Chinese and the Germans like to cook the hell out of their food before serving it. This will cook out all the vitamins which shows in bad teeth and eyesight. No free lunches. But no e-coli.

FlyingAnchor 09-25-06 09:13 PM

Canned spinich is about the best way you can get it, particularly with balsamic viniger. Of course I like fried spam, pastrami and jelly sandwiches, black beans and sardines as a cold salad.
Steven

jm01 09-26-06 08:31 AM

why couldn't it have been broccoli?

stapfam 09-26-06 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by will dehne
DMF,
I do not know the answer, perhaps you do?
Assume (as you say: crap is being disposed on crops). OK, if that is the case, how do you keep the bacteria away from the produce? Perhaps the crap distributing equipment is stored next to the harvester? Or the mechanics do not wash their hands by going from one to the other? I have a lot of questions but few answers.
I do know this: The Chinese and the Germans like to cook the hell out of their food before serving it. This will cook out all the vitamins which shows in bad teeth and eyesight. No free lunches. But no e-coli.

The best fertiliser to put on the garden and onto crops- Is well rotted- purely organic- Animal manure. Far better than all those chemicals that get into the food chain and stay there. In fact- the best fertiliser out of the lot- because it is plentifull and comes ready to spread on the fields without any work for the farmer other than spreading it- Is The slurry from The waste water treatments plants. Plain well composted and 100% pure sewerage.

Sorry to put you off your dinners.