Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Yearly special ride.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Yearly special ride.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-06, 01:25 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yearly special ride.

October the 8th and it will be a metric century in the New Forest-Just above Portsmouth and Southampton on the Southern Coast. This is a spectacular ride for secenery as it goes over the New Forest- that was founded around 900 ad. and most of it is not forest- just open heathland and quaint little Olde English Villages. It is mainly open Heathland and has plenty of Sheep, Cows, Horses, and Pigs roaming free on it. This does make it a bit Dangerous to suddenly round a corner and find a herd of sheep in the middle of the road- but that does not happen very often. Certainly not a Mountainous route but lots of Short sharp hills to climb and plenty of long drags that always seem to be in the wrong direction.

The name of this ride is the "Grid Iron". It gets it name from all the Cattle grids that are across the roads to stop the Cattle from straying out of the Forest, and the route takes you over most of them. Now it has been raining here and the other point about this ride is the number of Fords on the route- Not the cars- This is where the road crosses a stream at a shallow point without a bridge. Plenty of wet feet in the offing then.

Only 3 checkpoints to check in at on the 65 mile circular route and some refreshments are available at them if you are one of the front runners. Big highlight is at the end. The food put on by the ladies is fantastic. No pie though but Home made cakes galore, Pretty little Egg and cress Sandwiches and local made cheese.

Only drawback could be the weather. Any sign of rain and my mates will not be going. We did it once in a downpour that started when the ride did and the wind turned and strengthened all day long till the last 5 miles were across open Heathland with a force 9 gale into your face and the rain was horizontal. Pity is I have talked one of my customers into doing it, and he doesn't mind the weather- or so he says.

Edit- Nearly forgot why it is special- I had done this ride before but this was the 1st major ride I did after my bypass. It was the first major ride I did after my prostate problem and it has also been noted as one of the most memorable rides to do after the Windy, rainy year. Talk about hard rides in the UK and this is not one of them but this particular ride will always go down as one of the favourites by all the riders that take part in it.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-29-06, 02:09 PM
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This does indeed sound like a memorable ride. Will you be in a position to take pictures, or will that slow you down too much? I'd love to see the countryside there.

One other thing...I live in an area where a building that is 75 years old will probably be designated a historical landmark, so I am reeling just a bit at the time frame you describe. Since your "New Forest" was established around 900 AD, what about the "Olde Forest"?
-- Leon Briggs
Old 09-29-06, 02:42 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep us posted stapfam.
Hopefully you will enjoy wonderful "dry" food at the end of the ride.
I believe that during the buildup to the Normandy landings of WWII the area of the New Forest was host to thousands of American troops.
Old 09-29-06, 02:43 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It is not fair to describe such wonderful countryside and not provide pictures (enhanced with cyclists in them) of the ride. We will be expecting some.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 09-29-06, 02:48 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ticwanos
This does indeed sound like a memorable ride. Will you be in a position to take pictures, or will that slow you down too much? I'd love to see the countryside there.

One other thing...I live in an area where a building that is 75 years old will probably be designated a historical landmark, so I am reeling just a bit at the time frame you describe. Since your "New Forest" was established around 900 AD, what about the "Olde Forest"?
Will have to take the camera but I should think there will be a few spots to take pictures.

By the way- We have modern houses over here, but the first house I bought was a Victorian Terraced house. Over 100 years old and although it has been "Modernised". It was cold- damp and tiny. Would love to have an older house but I am afraid I could not put up with the maintenance bills.

Getting back to these Forest's- Most of them are now open heathland as in the 16th and 17th centuries- the trees were cut down to make ships for the Navy. Most of them at this time were Oak trees but where replacement forests are being replanted. It is mainly Conifers for quick return on investment. As it takes 2 to 300 years for an Oak to mature- they do not fit in with economic investment. And talking about type of houses on the New Forest- They are mainly cottages for the Foresters- people who live and work on the forest and the few industries that are about. Very difficult to buy houses there unless you have money and I am talking Multi- millionaires. That includes the few cottages that come up for sale aswell.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-29-06, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Stapfam: Good luck with the ride. I'd ride it just for the local cheese! I think it's pretty cool to do this same ride again, especially given it's historical significance to you.
Old 10-01-06, 02:08 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quick weather report======

The New Forest today was experiencing some heavy thunderstorms. The wind strength was about 35mph and there were tornados off the coast.

Luckily the ride is next week.

Spike Milligan