Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling Goals for the WInter and Next Season

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cycling Goals for the WInter and Next Season

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06, 08:10 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I met my most important goal for 2006: completing a century. But things went downhill (uphill?) from there, and I wound up with emergency brain surgery in October. Back on the bike, but feeling deconditioned.

So I guess My 2007 goal will be to at least one century, get back to where I was conditioning-wise, ride at least 3000 miles, and work on hills. I still suck on hills.
Old 11-19-06, 09:00 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After being behind my needed pace for the first half of the year, it looks like I will, indeed, make my goal of 5000 miles for the second year in a row. I now have 4,490 miles.

My other recent goal has been to get the beater bike I'm building rideable by Thanksgiving weekend. That is looking promising, too.

Next year, I'll be trying for 5000 miles again. I figure as long as I'm able to ride 5000 miles a year, things can't be going too wrong.
Old 11-19-06, 09:39 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I'm planning to ride the MTB as many weekends as possible to stay in shape along with riding the trainer. Come spring, I plan on training for a July 4th, 50K road ride. As for other rides, I'll see how I do on July 4 first.
As for MTB riding, I have no plans to compete, I'm probably too slow unless they have an over 55 group.
I'm in the middle of two builds, one is a maximum clearance, 91 Nishiki Ariel I plan on riding on paths or light trails, and the other is a Raleigh M-20 I'm doing just for fun.
I plan on upgrading the Bianchi Campione from downtube shifters to brifters, but will stay with the 7-speed gearing. I might change the C'dale to 8 speed rear from 7 speed, not sure yet. I'm looking into buying a used Fox F100 fork for the Specialized FSR XC. The Rockhopper will receive a replacement front deraileur. I might replace the shock if I can find a good deal on ebay. The 89 Nishiki will receive different tires for riding paths, maybe a different shock if I can get a Rock Shox with a 1" steerer for a good price. Finally, my oldest son is expressing some interest in road cycling. I bought him a 88 Univega NuevoTech 450. It's a nice bike, real responsive, but it needs a 100% cleaning, polishing and lube all four race surfaces.
Old 11-20-06, 10:51 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Met this years goals of 3000 miles and my 1st century. Next years goals include riding to Irma's at least once every month of the year, maybe trying for a triathlon, or perhaps 200 or 300km ride.
Old 11-22-06, 09:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Up until the time I opened my mouth and said I would help someone run a marathon, I was planning on riding outside 4 times a week and spinervals twice a week. The plan was to have over 6000 miles in by National 24 Hour Challenge, shooting for a 400 mile day. Now its running 4 days a week, indoor trainer 2 days a week, hoping to be able to run well in the Indy mini in May then survive the Columbus OH marathon in Oct.
Old 11-24-06, 03:51 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This year the goal was to get in 100+ mi per week, get my weight & cholesterol down, and still make time for my family & work. I managed to do that. Next year the goals are: A) Organize a ride on the Natchez Trace with several of my riding friends around the country around Memorial Day Weekend. B) Ride the RAIN (Ride Across Indiana - 160mi). C) Ride the 25th Anniversary El Tour de Tuscon in November. The last two rides I participated in 15 years ago for the first time. D) Climb more effectively. E) Do more interval training (the hardest goal of all since I HATE DOING INTERVALS) Needless to say I better maintain this years pace if I intend to do those distance rides!
Old 11-24-06, 09:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This past June, at 53 years of age, I started riding again after a significant time off the bike. I did not start keeping track of my mileage until August (too depressing the first two months). On August 15th, I decided to set a goal of 1,000 miles by the end of the year. I’m at 973 and will make 1,000 tomorrow. For next year, I am shooting for 3,000.
Old 11-25-06, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 goals for 07: Continue to have fun & finish a fast 65 miler with the young turks in the pack. Punked out twice on these rides this year and vow to do better.
Old 11-25-06, 07:29 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should reach my goal this year of 5000 mi. Next year I plan to shoot for 500 mi/month or 6000/yr. With my schedule and travel and such this is probably my top end.

2013 Noah RS
Old 11-25-06, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My goal is to keep riding the four or five days a week I'm at now. To that end, I just mounted a rear carrier to let me have a place to store my jacket that I either seem to wish I had with me cause now the temp has dropped since the sun went down, or wish I didn't have on because I'm too dang hot. Of course if the weather would stay like it has been this week - 70's! - no jacket required.
Old 11-28-06, 05:14 PM
Do I use too many commas?

Bikes: Giant Yukon SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride every day I can.

Commute everyday I can. 40 mile round trip.

Ride a Century! Probably the "Lowlander" in the fall. https://www.highlandercycletour.com/