Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OK, who's had gallstones here?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Warning: Almost no cycling content...
Had an unexpected few days off last week, so I drove down to Sonoma County (Calif.) to ride on the coast. Naturally I had a 10,000 calorie dinner the first night--and woke up at 4:30 with what felt like a bowling ball stuck in my upper abdomen. After toughing it out for a couple of days ("It's probably just food poisoning"), I went to the doctor, and they packed me off to the ER for immediate IVs, oxygen and about six hours of tests. Found out later they were sure I'd had a heart attack on the first morning and was just barely hanging on.
Turned out to be gallstones, which is pretty good news compared to a lot of other possibilities, and I'm probably going to have my gall bladder yanked as soon as I can get straightened out with the insurance people and find a surgeon who'll accept the six cents on the dollar they're willing to pay.
Who else here is riding around without a gall bladder? Any advice or precautions?
--Thanks
Old 10-25-06, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do a Google search fo "Liver Cleanse".

Here is an interesting link:
https://www.curezone.com/cleanse/liver/

Try to avoid surgery if you can.
Old 10-25-06, 06:52 PM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had my gall bladder removed last February. I had very minor symptoms, but an ultrasound determined it was wise to remove it. They do it lapriscopically, which is much easier than the old way, which required about 5 days in the hospital. I went home the same day, which is common. It cost nothing because of our socialized medicine. Didn't miss much cycling because it was February, but it was a mild winter so I probably would have got in 20 - 30 km during the week I had to take it easy.