Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you jump ramps as a kid?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-06, 10:33 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5471 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts

We used to set a board up on a few bricks in the alley. Then you'd get a running start and fly over it on your bike.
For some reason I can't see doing this now.
For one thing, there aren't any alleys where I live.
Old 12-24-06, 10:40 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
How do you think I got this scar on my cheek?
Old 12-24-06, 11:14 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried to stand on my saddle when I was a kid, no hands. Did a wonderful belly slam and slid on the pavement a few feet. Loose gravel under my skin from head to toe. Lots of fun!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-24-06, 11:27 PM
W A N T E D

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
We used to set a board up on a few bricks in the alley. Then you'd get a running start and fly over it on your bike.
Yup, we used to do that, except we lived on a dirt road. I remember one of the bigger kids ran over me once... that hurt! I remember my Dad used to do a trick, he'd ride my bike backwards sitting on the handlbars. I'd forgotten all about that, till your post jogged my memory, thanks!
Old 12-25-06, 05:01 AM

Bikes: Van Dessel CRB, Giant ATX 880,Footbike track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, i used to sit on the handle bars and ride backwards,jump the ramps in the alley, put the playing card /baloon on the rear frame/to spoke to get the sound of a motor bike.how cool was that!
Old 12-25-06, 05:26 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Never had to bother with trick riding when I was younger. I lived just below the North downs and although I did not realise it- My love of Mountain biking was nurtured on Them Thar hills. Raleigh Trent Tourist with 3 speed Sturmey Archer and mudguards was not the best hike for offroading but Plenty of natural drop offs- Ramps and Trees to hit. Still have the affinity with trees so nothing has changed. Only thing is that I cannot remember having to cycle up the hills to be able to get in a downhill run.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-25-06, 10:04 AM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5471 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
I forgot about the balloons and baseball cards in the spokes. BTW, it has to be a baseball card in order to be authentic.
Old 12-25-06, 10:11 AM
No Rocket Surgeon

Bikes: Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
I forgot about the balloons and baseball cards in the spokes. BTW, it has to be a baseball card in order to be authentic.
In my group, it had to be the Joker from a "Bicycle" deck.

We used to jump the cutouts in the curb for driveways. Going down a hill, you could weave on and off the sidewalks for multiple jumps.

WHOOOOHOOOO!
Old 12-25-06, 10:54 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by eubi
We used to jump the cutouts in the curb for driveways. Going down a hill, you could weave on and off the sidewalks for multiple jumps.

WHOOOOHOOOO!
Me too. The curb cutouts at each driveway apron. We'd jump one up onto the sidewalk, then down the sidewalk to the next driveway where we'd jump the cutout back onto the street. At the end of the street was a park. We'd build up as much speed as we could, then slam on our coaster brakes when we hit the grass! Longest skid without crashing would win!
Old 12-25-06, 10:57 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When I was a kid, no one in my area had thought of ramps yet.

I did try to jump a hole in the ground though. In front of all my friends. Not very successfully. I never tried it again. My Mom never replaced the bike.
Old 12-25-06, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts
Some friends and I were jumping off a small terrace at a construction site to show off for some girls. I did a pretty hard landing and my frame broke at the head tube sending me into a face-plant. I then had to carry it 2 miles home as it wouldn't even roll. It was an English 3-speed and I bought another frame from a kid in the neighborhood for $2.
Old 12-25-06, 11:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first set of wheels was a red scooter 6inch wheels,man i went everywhere with that thing(neighborhood) then a used fat tire bike,then a new 3speed english racer,then a roadbike raceing,then a tourning bike,then a new mountain bike for raceing offroad,now i ride it during the winter and you won't believe what im back to riding come summer?? ( a kickbike) scooter! i love it! talk about full circle!
Old 12-25-06, 01:32 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eubi

WHOOOOHOOOO!
No hills here but: Yeah! On a "Stingray conversion" we'd call it now (old kids bike frame w/banana seat and butterfly bars). I had a setup like that with a big knobby rear tire. I was hot s***!

Oh, and you had to follow up a series of good jumps with a celebratory wheelie of course!

Last edited by bcoppola; 12-25-06 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-25-06, 03:51 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We had a steep hill we used to go down for speed, then cut into the last driveway before the corner, and up the side of the driveway, airborne to the middle of the yard. One day, while doing this, I lost the pedals with my feet, and of course on that old bike, the pedals were the brakes, so to avoid a trip over a two foot concrete wall onto a sidewalk, I intentionally put the bike down, only to roll off the wall and land face first on the sidewalk. I swelled up so much over one eye, it closed my eye completely, and I missed a couple of days of school. That was the end of my jumping career.
Old 12-25-06, 03:58 PM

Bikes: 05' Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never did that when I was a kid. I had a Schwinn that was built like a truck with the shock absorber on the fork...I forget the name of the model...but it weighed a ton. Don't think it would have been airborne for very long.
Old 12-25-06, 06:16 PM
Slow ride, take it easy -

Location: Corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, soybean, corn fields of Illinois

Bikes: 98 Mongoose Cambridge with Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our neighborhood street wasn't paved back then, just a dirt/oiled road so we didn't have curbs and I never saw any ramps. I had my banana bike with baseball cards in the spokes for effect. I learned at a very early age never to ride a bike barefoot. I still cringe at the vivid memory of my mangled and bloodied big toe. I'm sure my mother also has a vivid memory of me walking into the kitchen as a nine-year-old making bloody footprints throughout the house as I looked for her.
Old 12-25-06, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I can't remember any ramp jumping or wheelies.

I grew up in the country where there were few paved roads, most roads were gravel or dirt. The only trick riding I can remember doing is getting up to speed on a gravel road then doing a side slide by hitting the brake with the right foot to lock the rear wheel while leaning the bike left side down on the extended left foot. When done properly this trick could shoot a spray of gravel about 20 feet. Great fun.

Remember those rear hub brakes that required a backward pedal movement to engage?
Old 12-25-06, 07:04 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
No jumps here. Just paved roads and dirt roads.
Old 12-25-06, 07:26 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Heck yeah! We'd build ramps from boards and bricks. Half the time the bike would slip off the side of the board before we got to the end. Or the board would break as we rode up the incline. But that wouldn't stop us. We persevered and when it all came together we would sail off the end of the ramp for several inches, sometimes over a foot!
Any natural bump became a launch pad for jumps or wheelies. Daddy must have had the handlebars on my first 20 inch bike rewelded a dozen times. We lived on top of a pretty steep hill on a dirt road. I would fly down that hill on my bike or in my Western Flyer wagon with the pull handle folded back so I could steer while sitting in the wagon. The only way to stop the wagon before going into trees and bushes at the bottom of the hill was to crash the wagon. I stayed covered with scratches and scabs all the time.
Sometimes you have to wonder how any of us survived our childhood.
Old 12-25-06, 07:46 PM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We placed a wooden jump ramp in the road with bricks or a cement block to hold one end up. The biggest problem we had was breaking the pedals off of our stingray bicycles. Of course there was the occasional broken forks or loose handlebar crashes.

Then the neighbors put a big pile of dirt in a vacant lot. This caused even more broken bicycles.

A friend and I decided bicycles needed rear shocks like motorcycles. We took a shock from a moped and made a rear monoshock stingray. The welds did not last long over the jumps, bit it was cool to us.
Old 12-25-06, 10:08 PM
Ya never know 'til ya try

Bikes: Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe Trek 820 MTB Trek 7300FX Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vger285
My first set of wheels was a red scooter 6inch wheels,man i went everywhere with that thing(neighborhood) then a used fat tire bike,then a new 3speed english racer,then a roadbike raceing,then a tourning bike,then a new mountain bike for raceing offroad,now i ride it during the winter and you won't believe what im back to riding come summer?? ( a kickbike) scooter! i love it! talk about full circle!
I have a Sidewalker scooter. It is a gas. Before that I had a BMX scooter with the 12" wheels waaaaaay back in '85. Cro-moly frame and a gyro. Even learned a few simple tricks on that one. Love them scooters
Old 12-25-06, 10:55 PM
lagartija

Bikes: specialized sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
big piles of dirt... sometimes people use boards, but dirt is much more plentiful around here (notice I'm speakng in the present tense). I was always too scared to try things like that, but just this last spring I saw an impressive sight: a bunch of kids (I knew most of 'em) taking turns barrelling down a slope to what must have been a 4 or 5 foot ramp they'd drug out there. They'd go as fast as they could, hit the ramp, ditch the bike, and land in a pile of snow in the ditch off the road after falling some 15 or 20 feet (roads around here are built up quite a bit for natural snow removal). I just stood there and stared. They wore helmets and some body protection gear, but I was very impressed (but whether it was by the feat, or their recklessness, I'm not sure)
Old 12-26-06, 11:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
scooters

I'll ride my mountain bike(Giane atx880) till spring and the wind dies down, then the kickbike comes out for the rest of spring and summer,on most of our rides, the regular bikes get there first, but i put in the most work and reap the most benefits! It's not for everyone,but i love it!
Old 12-26-06, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The first new bike I had was a Candy Apple Red Schwinn Stingray with a white seat that had fake roll and tuck accents. I got it for my birthday when I was in the fifth grade. Hell yes we jumped ramps, the most fun was ramp to ramp.
Old 12-26-06, 06:46 PM

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This time of year, we used to ride our bicycles on frozen Lake Mendota in Madison, WI. We used the expansion cracks in the ice for ramps. We'd pile up all the snow we could gather in the 'landing' area and let her rip. Tons of fun. We would also hold our coats open and use them for sails while riding no handed across the ice.

After getting dried off one time, we had to push a john boat out on the ice to fish our bicycles out of the Yahare River. Two of us had found a patch of thin ice. Thank heavens for shallow water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.