Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Vote for Digital Gee's 2007 Mileage Goal (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/255887-vote-digital-gees-2007-mileage-goal.html)

Tom Bombadil 12-26-06 04:43 PM

Vote for Digital Gee's 2007 Mileage Goal

The title says it all, what should DG's mileage goal be in 2007?

stapfam 12-26-06 04:56 PM

I prophesy that DG WILL get a new bike next year and he will be spurred on to lose weight by getting out and finding some hills after his foray into real offroad Mountain biking earlier in the year. Don't think it will be a top of the range bike but a bargain is going to crop up on Craigslist that he just cannot turn down-AGAIN.

bkaapcke 12-26-06 04:59 PM

I hope Gary gets a new bike in 07, 'cause he deserves one. But he's the only one who doesn't think so. GET CF BEFORE SPRING, GARY! bk

centexwoody 12-26-06 05:05 PM

It should be as far as he wants to ride...on whatever bike(s) he wants to ride...and I predict his innate desire to be out & about will mean a total mileage close to 2,000!

Retro Grouch 12-26-06 05:21 PM

How far is the moon?

Red Baron 12-26-06 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
How far is the moon?

One way or round Trip? :eek: :D :D

CrossChain 12-26-06 06:32 PM

The old question: to log the mileage first before getting (earning) the bike, or, to get the new bike as a "hat in the ring" towards upping the mileage.

Only Gary can answer. A more important question that only Gary can answer in his own time is......what kind of riding, what kind of goal, what kind of cyclist does he want to be? Perhaps mileage numbers are not so important as accumulated units of pleasure and meaning...which may not parallel odometer readings.

DnvrFox 12-26-06 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by CrossChain
The old question: to log the mileage first before getting (earning) the bike, or, to get the new bike as a "hat in the ring" towards upping the mileage.

Only Gary can answer. A more important question that only Gary can answer in his own time is......what kind of riding, what kind of goal, what kind of cyclist does he want to be? Perhaps mileage numbers are not so important as accumulated units of pleasure and meaning...which may not parallel odometer readings.

Whatever goal, if Gary is "on track" at the end of 6 months, that is when he gets the new bike, both as a reward and an impetus for finishing the year off.

I no longer set mileage goals, but wish DG the best of luck, whatever goal(s) he selects.

fopianki 12-26-06 08:46 PM

Sorry Digital Gee...but I voted for you to "man up" in 2007...I need a new hero since Floyd bit the dust! Frankp

jppe 12-26-06 09:09 PM

The big news is that Gary buys a 2007 model!! He finds a terrific deal on a closeout in late 2007 and takes it for more miles than he's ever done in one day before. Of course he has another year's worth of input and advice from his fellow 50+ers to help him make his selection.

Mojo Slim 12-26-06 10:19 PM

We're talking about him like he's dead. Does DG have anything to say about this?

Tom Bombadil 12-26-06 10:32 PM

If he's dead, then I'm voting for 0 miles.

Anything else would be irresponsible.

But I still think he should get a new bike.

PS ... DG gets one vote, just like everyone else gets.

CrossChain 12-26-06 11:09 PM

I have been authorized by DG to speak for him in all matters bicycle. His position is that all those urging him to acquire a new bike should examine their garage bike fleets and offer a suitable loaner for him until he should feel his riding goals have solidified. Simply put, words are empty, but a large box from UPS counts. He'll supply his own pedals and wire basket.

Didi Diego 12-26-06 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think DG needs -- no, DESERVES -- a sexy new bike. We need to convince him that a svelte, lean, cycling machine will take him WAY beyond 3,000 miles next year.

Hell, the poor guy is still riding with platform pedals, for God's sake!

DG, honey -- crack open that wallet and take the plunge! I'll be waiting for you!

Gary Diego 12-27-06 02:20 AM

Damn! I hate it when one of my ex's gets the hots for some chump on the other side of town...

bcoppola 12-27-06 08:55 AM

I voted "man up". About time he jumped in with both feet or die trying! And he should do it on a fixed gear.

But you realize this could all be for naught. DG might decide biking involves too many difficult choices and take up something "simpler", like hiking, next year...only to spend the next year or two trying to decide on a pair of boots. :)

howsteepisit 12-27-06 10:51 AM

Give the guy a break! He need to work and pay off his ex. Cannot be riding all the time!

Digital Gee 12-27-06 12:56 PM

A most interesting poll. I'm not quite sure how I earned this honor, but it's fun to watch and see what people think.

As for getting a new bike, I'd still like to someday, and it may be sooner than I think, but once again an offspring took matters into her own hands and totalled her car. While it's easy to say "her problem," it's really not. So I have a feeling there will be some $$$ going there which could have gone to a bike.

Anyway -- keep going! I'd love to see what my goal should be for 2007!

bcoppola 12-27-06 01:13 PM

Buy yourself the new bike of your dreams.

Give the old bike to the now car-less daughter.

Problem solved!

Tom Bombadil 12-27-06 01:27 PM

Gary, your problem is that you are waiting too long to spend your money. By doing so, you are giving others the opportunity to spend it for you. If you had just gone out and blown all of your savings on a high-end bike, then you could have said, "Sorry, I would have helped you out, but I just spent it all."

CrossChain 12-27-06 01:33 PM

Then again....give your car to your daughter. Go carless. Bike everywhere. Your mileage will soar. Your happiness will increase. Your current bike will wear out necessitating a new bike. Problemo disolvo!

BlazingPedals 12-27-06 01:35 PM

Whatever the goal, I predict he will agonize over it until it's too late to do anything about it.

Artkansas 12-27-06 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam
I prophesy that DG WILL get a new bike next year and he will be spurred on to lose weight by getting out and finding some hills after his foray into real offroad Mountain biking earlier in the year.

He doesn't have to look far for hills. Texas Canyon, just blocks from him, makes strong men weep. And Mission Trails Park, just east of him, is a popular with mountain bikers.

Tom Bombadil 12-27-06 03:50 PM

So if he decides to "man up" on hill courses, should we cut him some slack on the miles?

CrossChain 12-27-06 03:59 PM

Perhaps DG could be fitted with a "calories burned" ankle sensor much like home-incarcerated prisoners. Joe's server could be adapted to track his movements and energy expended. Then a committee of BF'ers (whatever that might stand for) could keep stats on him and determine if he was manly or wimply. A sticky thread could post the daily read-outs for all to examine and comment on.