Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are you a lonely guy/gal when it comes to riding?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: When you take a ride, it is usually alone, in a pair, or a group?
All or nearly all of the time I ride alone
52.47%
I ride alone much of the time (60%-80%)
28.71%
I usually ride with one other person
6.59%
I usually ride in a group of 3 or more
3.29%
I split my time riding alone, with another person, or in a group
8.94%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Are you a lonely guy/gal when it comes to riding?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 08:33 PM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My usual ride is alone, with mp3 player. I tried a group last year, but with one biker wanting to chat and riding on my left, I soon found myself boxed in with a slower rider in front, edge of road on right. I needed more space. Group stopped every 5 miles to regroup, I usually go 10 miles before a break. At end of ride group leader told me I had to wear a helmet next time I rode with them. So end of that group. I think I wouldn't mind a partner. As in one. Riding with son in law was fine. But the poor fellow has to work during the day and perfers mountain bike, I'm a roadie and occassional flat crushed stone trail.

I participated in a few "Tours" with my sister, but she can barely do 10 miles at 5 mph, so I part with her quite early. As another has mentioned I did enjoy the tours with large participation as I like the presence of others on the route, and occassionally would pace myself off of others. But I did keep my distance. On rare occassions I eventually passed, but mostly I was left behind.

Actually I prefer to do everything alone. I think I don't like people.
Old 12-28-06, 08:40 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I am almost always alone when I ride, but I generally have no preference as to riding with others or not.

Both are nice.
Old 12-28-06, 10:03 PM
Yes it is a paradox

Bikes: Trek, Orbea,Specilized

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BCIpam
I do ride alone much of the time - because of my schedule but even when I do Club rides I ride alone. I'm a "tweener" - not in the fastest group but not that slow, sadly inbetween, "no man's land". I either have to train and become faster or slow down and sit in the chatty group... I'll start training!

I don't like to talk much while riding - I really don't like a chatty group. I have a good friend who I ride with most of the time but I like being alone - you can get into your own thoughts, enjoy the view and concentrate on cycling.

I know exactly what you mean being not the fastest or the slowest. In the group I ride with it is called being half fast.
Old 12-29-06, 08:36 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
A good number of solo training rides for me but also a lot more group riding as well. Probably 75% in groups and 25% solo. I've found that if I'm interested in improving my fitness, speed, endurance, etc, I need to ride with others that are better riders than me. It hurts for a while-both physically and mentally- but it's really rewarding to see the marked improvement in fitness. It's the only way I can force myself into continued improvement on the bike. I just don't have the drive that's needed to greatly improve my fitness level solo. I can sustain a fitness level but cannot move it to the next level without assistance.

But, I found some solo rides to be some of the most incredible adventures I've ever done. So, I guess for me each have its purpose and something I really treasure.
Old 12-29-06, 08:46 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
A good number of solo training rides for me but also a lot more group riding as well. Probably 75% in groups and 25% solo. I've found that if I'm interested in improving my fitness, speed, endurance, etc, I need to ride with others that are better riders than me. It hurts for a while-both physically and mentally- but it's really rewarding to see the marked improvement in fitness. It's the only way I can force myself into continued improvement on the bike. I just don't have the drive that's needed to greatly improve my fitness level solo. I can sustain a fitness level but cannot move it to the next level without assistance.

But, I found some solo rides to be some of the most incredible adventures I've ever done. So, I guess for me each have its purpose and something I really treasure.
This is my first year riding with a cycling club and I've seen my average speed increase by 3 mph. I doubt I would have seen such an improvement doing all solo rides.
Old 12-29-06, 08:53 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
When I ride my regular bike, I almost always ride alone. When I ride the tandem, there is usually someone always someone with me...
Old 12-29-06, 02:17 PM

Bikes: Lemond Zurick, BF Pocket Crusoe, Trek 2120, Iron Horse Maverick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride alone around home and generally prefer it that way. When I do event rides, I enjoy riding with friends and socializing. Given a choice, if I'm riding somewhere that I am not familiar with, I prefer company because I'm good at getting lost!
Old 12-29-06, 02:57 PM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hey Joe. Is that a Surly Pugsly? Too cool, what ever it is.

Old 12-29-06, 03:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes with a friend or two but mostly alone. I'm not a big fan of riding in large groups where I kill myself to hang on to the wheel in front of me. I don't see anything around me, don't talk to anyone hardly, etc. I know it's a good workout, but I cycle for much more than the exercise. I guess I consider myself more of a "fast recreational" rider. Anywhere from 17-20 mph on the straights and take the hills in stride. If you can find 3-4 guys partners to ride with that are about your same level it's great. You'll ride a little bit harder, but still talk and "smell the roses."
Old 12-29-06, 03:23 PM

Bikes: Surly Pugsley,Mongoose Hybrid, Nashbar road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote!
Hey Joe. Is that a Surly Pugsly? Too cool, what ever it is.
Yeah, it's a great beach/snow bike and I have a 29er wheelset for road use and just purchased a second set of Large Marge wheelset to use 26x3.0 Kenda Flames for road/trail use.
Old 12-29-06, 08:05 PM
Slow ride, take it easy -

Location: Corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, soybean, corn fields of Illinois

Bikes: 98 Mongoose Cambridge with Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahhh. Peaceful. Quiet. Solitude. Just me 'n my bike...
Old 12-29-06, 08:22 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5467 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
I always ride alone. The other day a friend suggested we ride together. At first I thought it was a marvelous idea. But when I thought about it, it didn't sound so good.
Just call me Mr. misanthrope.
Old 01-02-07, 03:37 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We've had 142 respondents.

From almost the beginning, the number indicating that they ride alone at least "much of the time" hovered right around 80%. That's higher than I expected it to be.
Old 01-02-07, 03:43 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride alone, but on sunny days, I am pursued by, or right behind, my shadow. What's up with that?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-02-07, 03:49 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You obviously aren't pedaling fast enough.
Old 01-02-07, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting thread, generally I ride alone and have thought that I should find a riding partner? But after reading some of the posts here maybe riding alone is not such a bad idea after all? I enjoy going where I want to go and at my own pace. It provides me with a chance to really relax after spending the entire week at work and busy.

jman
Old 01-02-07, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
It's usually me, myself, and I. Maybe 15 to 20 rides a year with someone else and perhaps 3 or 4 large group rides. Riding is as close as I get to solitude.... something sorely missing in today's world.
Old 01-02-07, 06:45 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
We've had 142 respondents.

From almost the beginning, the number indicating that they ride alone at least "much of the time" hovered right around 80%. That's higher than I expected it to be.
+1
I'm not so surprised by the number of responses saying they enjoy or even prefer riding solo as I am by how many seem to really dislike riding with others.
Old 01-02-07, 08:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I do enjoy riding alone, I most often ride with a friend. I had a too-close encounter with a perv one day while out by myself and no longer feel comfortable in isolated areas by myself for very long. The experience has served to help increase my speed, though...when I do venture out alone, I now pedal like the wind through those deserted areas !
Old 01-02-07, 10:10 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I enjoy riding in a small group when I'm riding on the road. On single track, I'm too slow to keep up with younger MTBers and I've only seen one other MTBer close to my age at the local trails. So I just ride alone. Besides, I value keeping the bike upright rather than going fast and crashing hard, more than most others.
Old 01-31-07, 03:02 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I almost always ride alone. Bike time is MY time! I ride where I want, as fast(or slow) as I want, stop to gaze and ponder where and when I want, and come home when I'm ready. For me, the freedoms of biking are precious. If I just want to poop around I take the hybrid, adventurous moods calls for the mtn. bike and cruisin' gets done on one of my road bikes.

I've ridden with my three daughters enough to show 'em the ropes, both on tandems and single bikes, and my bride of 32 yrs. will ride the bike paths with me occasionally. I enjoy sharing those rides with my loved ones....but I'm in my SPECIAL zone when I'm out alone.
Old 01-31-07, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Every weekday alone (commuting)
Group rides with my local club on Saturday.
Sunday - group ride or long solo ride depending....

Riding in a fast group hones bike handling skills like nothing else can.
Old 01-31-07, 03:51 PM
Live To Ride Another Day!

Bikes: Pig with lipstick (Trek Pilot 2.1 Ulterga Group/Compact Crank)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mostly ride with one other, but enjoy riding alone. I enjoy riding in groups or organized rides too. Riding in group rides has improved my bicycle handling, knowledge, workout and friendships. Saturday I don’t care if I ride alone or with my friend, but Sunday I look forward to riding with the SFVBC. It is social and my recovery ride. Besides, I ride 14 miles solo to the starting point and another to get home. February 10th I ride The Tour de Palm Springs which usually has around 5,000 riders. It is the only ride I know that has no limits on riders. I understand going into this ride what I am doing and enjoy having all the other riders around. If I am lucky enough to have several friends join in the ride it is understood we start together but everyone rides at there own pace. See you at the car. It is a fun time. I would trade all the above if my wife rode a bike with me. But that is another thread.
Old 01-31-07, 03:56 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
And regardless of your answer, do you prefer to ride alone, with another person, or in groups?
I either ride with my wife or alone. Since I've upgraded my bike, our paces are pretty different so often I'll ride with her for half the ride then shoot ahead or go longer. She wants to ride her pace that is really too slow for me as any real form of exercise but it is a great time for us to talk without interruption. She says she likes riding with me even though I'm faster because she's motivated to keep up her pace.

There are club rides around here but I always forget about them or just see them in passing out on the road. Have never done a regular 'group ride' because my work schedule & therefore riding schedule changes every semester. This summer I may try some group rides to see if a greater sociability improves my fun. Since I spend so much of my work time with other people, I usually look forward to the solitude of riding alone or the quiet companionship of my favorite wife, (my cro-moly baby - she of tensile strength and fierce love).
Old 01-31-07, 05:01 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Trek 2200, Trek 1500, Trek 720

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For years I enjoyed riding alone. Two years ago I started doing club rides 1-2 days a week and the rest of the week solo. I liked the club rides, we would usually stop for food and coffee, and everyone was friendly. Because of the different abilities of the riders I would either really push myself, to keep up with the faster group, or I could slow down and ride with the slow pokes. Riding with others did help me increase both my speed, and climbing. Lately, I’ve been getting bored with the group rides, they tend to always ride the same course, and I have started to go back to solo rides. I enjoy organized rides where everyone rides at their own pace. I would like my girlfriend to ride with me, but she would rather go to a spin class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.