Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fewest Flats?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fewest Flats?

Old 12-31-06, 08:41 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
We logged our 50,000th mile on our custom Co-Motion tandem in 8 1/2 years. A keeper of statistics, we recorded 138 flat tires in that time. Living in the Arizona desert we have lots of punctures; our most common culprits causing flats were: Cactus thorns, tiny shards of glass, and small pieces of wire from steel belted radial car/truck tires that litter the roadside. Others were an industrial staple, faulty valve stem and some glueless patches that did not hold up too well.
Front tires: 65 flats, rear tires: 73 flats.
A record series of flats was due to road construction in our immediate area: 14 flats in 10 days of riding.
Patience, a good sense of hymor, spare tubes + a patch kit and good pump take care of that!
Tailwinds and downhills in '07!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 12-31-06, 09:05 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 272 Posts
I had two flats this year, in about 4700 miles of riding. The first was caused by the tube being folded inside the tire. For that I blame the accursed 'universal 20 inch' tube that I was using. The second flat was while sitting in the parking lot at the end of a ride. The sidewall just blew out. It was a Continental tire, so 'nuff said. In neither case did I actually run over something to cause the flat.
Old 12-31-06, 09:55 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Five flats in five days. Now, I've got a something or other Hevlar (note the H) on the rear, and a Schwalbe Marathon Double Defense on the front. No flats since the same from the stock Michilins - call it about 1500 miles.

Hey, it's worth the money. Even if every flat happens at home, which it doesn't, when you're fixing flats, you are not riding.
Old 01-01-07, 12:13 AM
cruzMOKS
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not in the same league as you guys. I have had more flats then I can remember. Only 2 on the road though.
Old 01-01-07, 12:51 AM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Counting back to May 2005 I logged 5,252 miles before my flatting the rear tire in November 2006. The front tire was still flat free but looking a bit worn so I decided to replace both tires anyway
Old 01-01-07, 03:42 AM
Mzungu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man I wish I had so few flats that I could count them.

I carry two tubes and a patch kit on the road bike. I don't use slime as half the flats are pinch flats and then you have to patch anyway. I only rode ~5000 km on the road .

On the mtn bike I use kevlar tyres, liners, thick tubes and slime and rarely get a flat and can ride over thorn bushes. However the tyres way a ton.
Old 01-01-07, 07:10 AM
jibi
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
...and this thread can stop right here. Jibi, hands down, you have us beat. Did you circle GB a dozen times? Great job!

Look at the link in my sig. Across Patagonia and Europe from Ushuaia to John O'Groats.

george
Old 01-01-07, 10:24 AM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So are flats far more prevalent amongst road bikes? Bikers that I know who ride hybrids with 700x35 and 700x38 tires that have raised treads on them, don't report anywhere near this many flats.
Old 01-01-07, 07:41 PM
jazzy_cyclist

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No flats in the past two seasons (5K+ miles). However, my wife has had a few and was gracious enough to allow me to fix them.
Old 01-01-07, 09:00 PM
waldowales
Old Fogy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flats

Started out the year getting multiple flats on the same ride. My favorite place to ride is littered with goat head puncture burrs. Tried Mr. Tuffies and Slime liners, they help, but i finally went to Slime in the tubes. Only one flat since then, when an old tube sprung two leaks at the same time, on the one day I left my pump on another bike. Had a spare tube, but no way to inflate it. Nice 7 mile walk, to help me remember to carry the pump. About 1600 miles among 4 bikes.
Old 01-02-07, 04:51 PM
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5400 miles; about 6 flats this year. One staple, one piece of steel belted radial, one very small piece of glass, one rock on the road (looking at antelpoe instead of where I was going) and two pinch flats (yeah you would think that after 30 years of riding I would not have any but I did). 5100 miles last year 2 flats.
Old 01-02-07, 05:15 PM
Big Paulie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
...one rock on the road (looking at antelpoe instead of where I was going)
This happens to me all the time...damn antelopes alongside the road in L.A.!

Old 01-02-07, 05:19 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Mecian

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About 3000 miles 2 flats, both due to bad rim strips. This is a really big improvment over the old days, when on both tubulars and clichers I averaged about 2 flats per 1000 miles. Even a retro-grouch can admit there has some really big improvments in cycling equipment!
Old 01-02-07, 05:32 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mzungu
Man I wish I had so few flats that I could count them.

I carry two tubes and a patch kit on the road bike. I don't use slime as half the flats are pinch flats and then you have to patch anyway. I only rode ~5000 km on the road .

On the mtn bike I use kevlar tyres, liners, thick tubes and slime and rarely get a flat and can ride over thorn bushes. However the tyres way a ton.
Pinch Flats can be lessened by using Talcum Powder liberally on your tube before inserting it into the tire.Also great for a pre-ride anti chaffing on the old bum area.
Old 01-02-07, 05:34 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
So are flats far more prevalent amongst road bikes? Bikers that I know who ride hybrids with 700x35 and 700x38 tires that have raised treads on them, don't report anywhere near this many flats.
Gary should be good to go,cross country.
Old 01-02-07, 07:47 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 170 Posts
Talcum powder is for people, not tires, according to lotsa folks who seem to know what they are talking about. I used it for a long time but stopped using it for tires/tubes after reading explanations about why it does nothing useful. Still like the generic Gold Bond Powder for me, though.
Old 01-02-07, 07:54 PM
Joe1946

Bikes: Surly Pugsley,Mongoose Hybrid, Nashbar road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eutychus
I started biking on my 63rd birthday, Sept. 7, 2005. In the next 4 months I had eight flats. Then I installed thorn-resistant tubes, Tuffy liners, and a Schwalbe Marathon+ tire on the back, and haven't had a flat since mid-January of last year--that's 6000 miles.
Holy cow, my birthday is also Sept 7 but 4 years younger. BTW I used slime 3 times this year for my rear tire and it works great.
Old 01-02-07, 11:36 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 108 Posts
3000 miles & 4 flats in 2006. Not starting out so well this year. Yesterday, I was pumping up my touring bike for a ride and the top part of the valve core twisted off as I tightened it. No air lost (until the next time its pumped when the valve will fall into the tube) so I put on the cap & moved to the back tire, only to have the valve stem pull off as I removed the pump head. OK, get down another bike & start over. Pulled down my Torelli, pumped up the front, then repeated the twist off the valve stem trick!
This is a new personal best, 3 flats in about 6 minutes. I finally got my ride on the Grand Jubile. Today, I put new tubes in 3 tires. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 01-02-07 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-03-07, 09:42 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two flats last year in 5300 miles. One flat today, in 30 miles for 2007. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

2013 Noah RS
Old 01-03-07, 11:03 AM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stonecrd, you have been cursed with flatness for all of 2007. Ye shall suffer flats in rememberence of Moses, yeah even one every 40 miles. And ye shall curse the ground for its sharpness.
Old 01-03-07, 11:23 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flatness or Flatulence?

2013 Noah RS