Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Want a nice ride enhancing shot of adrenaline?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-02-07, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Try spraying the neighbor's spotted heeler mix mutt in the face with a nice shot of mace. You know the dog I'm talking about here don't you? The brown one with the heeler spots - that looks like it was maybe crossed with german shepherd, weighs about 60 pounds or so? The one that races to the street straight at you at top speed twice on every ride and then alternates between darting in front of you and nipping at your heels? The one that makes you wonder if today is the day you wind up breaking your collarbone or your neck or whatever when you come off? Yeah, that one. And then ride on watching over your shoulder as he rolls in the grass, trying to rub it off... Maybe after another shot or two he will learn to stay in his yard.
Old 01-02-07, 06:25 PM
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
high five.
Old 01-02-07, 06:34 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A friend carried liquid bleach in a water bottle for a particularly nasty ranch mutt we pass. The real show was watching everyone eagerly watching him to see if he would mistakenly try to drink out of the bleach bottle.

Anyway, good show, Terrierman, on asserting your right of way. Is the dog OK?
Old 01-02-07, 06:49 PM
Hypoxic Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrossChain
Anyway, good show, Terrierman, on asserting your right of way. Is the dog OK?
Honestly, I hope not. The owner may be the one really at fault but the dogs can still wreck you.
Old 01-03-07, 08:44 AM

Bikes: '79 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reminds me of a time long ago....when back in REMF land, was in a jeep going from FLC to 1rst Mar Div in Danang...1970.....used to go by this one area where a big (for Viet Nam Standards) dog would come barking out at the jeeps and try to bite your leg, if you kept it close to the side.....this happened every time we came in....no big deal, would just keep your legs inboard and move on......this one time, was following an ARVN convoy....last vehicle was an ARVN jeep following the trucks.....dog came out, doing it's usual thing.........got real close to the ARVN jeep....machete flashed and dog was headless....the jeep stopped and we of course stopped behind him....he jumped out, gutted the dog, and threw the carcass into the back of the jeep......dinnertime....
Old 01-03-07, 09:04 AM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I hope the dog has learned to give you some room. At age 16, on my first 10 speed, my neighbor's 2 black labs (70+ lbs) used to take one heel each as I passed. I finally packed a water pistol with diluted ammonia water. As soon as I took it out, they turned tail. I didn't even get to nail them. I don't remember having any issues with them after that.
Old 01-03-07, 09:15 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I would have a talk to the owner,if that doesn't work I bet the police would. If that doen't work I'd, I better not go there.
Old 01-03-07, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've talked with the idiot owners. Several of them actually. We live in rural Missouri. No joke, the Sheriff Department says if the dogs are threatening you, feel free to shoot them. I'd rather not have my neighbors that P.O.'d at me though, thus the mace. I think it will be an effective compromise in the long run.
Old 01-03-07, 09:53 AM
pot hole magnet

Bikes: Oryx Hurricane 250 '04, Mongoose hybrid kamikaze commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BILLB58
<...>....machete flashed and <...> ....dinnertime....
Originally Posted by George McClusky
I would have a talk to the owner,if that doesn't work I bet the police would. If that doen't work I'd, I better not go there.
George, I'll "go there" for you: How about cashing in on a line of cycling-friendly carbon-fibre weaponry?
First up, the BF50+ Dogger - a compact, aerodynamic dagger. The more expensive DoggerX could come with a reservoir hilt so riders could drink the hapless mutt's blood for strength. (not, of course, to be used in screened competitions, lest the doping test peg any meters)
I'm ready to profit from my pain. Any more suggestions out there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tmp-scabbard04.jpg (46.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-03-07, 10:05 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
If it really is a neighbor, I'd at least talk to him. Tell him the sheriff says it's OK to shoot the mutt the next time it attacks you, but you'd rather give him a chance to correct the situation before it has to come to that. If he really wants to keep the dawg, he'll reign it in regardless of whether or not you actually intend to follow through with the threat.