Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Rode my age in bliss (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/259080-rode-my-age-bliss.html)

NOS88 01-08-07 09:15 AM

Rode my age in bliss

2 Attachment(s)
Sunday I was able to get my birthday ride in and rode my age. It was an incredible ride for January. There were no head winds, temperature in the 50s, and no traffic! I was able to spend a bit over 4 hours in solitude doing what I love best. Since I was given a digitial camera (for the express purpose of putting it in my jersey pocket) as a gift, I can share two pictures of the ride. The first is what most of the ride was like, flat..... the second is the hill I must climb after every ride to reach my home. It keeps going for about 1.5 miles and has points of about 20% grade. It makes you save a little at the end of each ride so you can get home. When I first started riding after decades of not riding, I couldn't ride this hill. I had to walk. Yesterday, I was able to scoot up the hill with two lower gears yet in reserve. Life it good.

George 01-08-07 10:01 AM

Happy birthday and congratulations,NO88 on your ride. When I see rodes like that I wish I was still up north. Down here in Texas it's as flat as a table, but it's warm. Have a good one.

Digital Gee 01-08-07 10:08 AM

Great ride report. Love all those trees and no traffic lights or stop signs.

scottogo 01-08-07 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Birthday!
Sorry, this is the last cake they had with this design.

SaiKaiTai 01-08-07 10:25 AM

Sweet... and happy birthday to you!
Sure looks like a nice ride. Guess I'm supposed to do a 54 miler in March, then? Don't know about that.

p8rider 01-08-07 11:46 AM

Congrats on the ride and Happy Birthday.
You're pretty good with a camera too!!

stapfam 01-08-07 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Sweet... and happy birthday to you!
Sure looks like a nice ride. Guess I'm supposed to do a 54 miler in March, then? Don't know about that.

If I can do it in the wind and rain then you might aswell attempt it.

Nice ride but envious of that hill- Would prefer it the other way round but you can always move the house.

Happy birthday and what was the pie for your ???? birtday treat?

Beverly 01-08-07 01:59 PM

Happy Birthday! It looks like a great ride. I'm glad I don't have a hill like that to climb before reaching home:)

Artkansas 01-08-07 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88
the second is the hill I must climb after every ride to reach my home. It keeps going for about 1.5 miles and has points of about 20% grade. It makes you save a little at the end of each ride so you can get home. When I first started riding after decades of not riding, I couldn't ride this hill. I had to walk. Yesterday, I was able to scoot up the hill with two lower gears yet in reserve. Life it good.

Way to go!

Mojo Slim 01-08-07 04:05 PM

Happy Birthday. Looks like great riding atmosphere. Much like here in the Northern California mountains. Ooops, gotta go, my riding buddy is here.

jppe 01-08-07 04:49 PM

Congrats on the birthday and the ride!! I love looking at pictures of the roads other ride on-especially the hills.

And how many candles were on the cake this year???

NOS88 01-08-07 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by jppe
Congrats on the birthday and the ride!! I love looking at pictures of the roads other ride on-especially the hills.

And how many candles were on the cake this year???

Cake? Don't you mean pie? It was a rhubard pie. I turned 55 this year. My father called and the first words out of his mouth were not "Hello" or "Happy birthday." No, his first words were: "Hey, now you can order for the senior menu at McDonald's."

WillisB 01-08-07 05:03 PM

Congrats on making the milestone and for the great looking ride!

:bday: :bday: :bday:

guybierhaus 01-08-07 05:56 PM

Happy Birthday! New Old Stock. That first shot looks to be the trail thru Valley Forge. Haven't been there for some time. Would have expected it to be more crowded this past weekend. I tried to ride, but my cold was worst then I thought. Should recoup by my birthday in May. Maybe I'll use the Perkiomen and Schuylkill Trails to get my 62 miles with an out and back. Is the construction detour in Conshohocken over yet?

doctor j 01-08-07 09:25 PM

NOS88, Congratulations on a fine ride!

My next goal after riding my age was to do a metric century (a/k/a 100K), which was only a few miles more for me.

You have a beautiful place to ride.

Keep spinning!