Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried or are using a Specialized Toupe saddle?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 08:01 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I've heard a lot of good feedback and reports but wonder if its just coming from "younger butts". Has anyone here tried either the regular or gel version by chance?
Old 01-09-07, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I've got about 900 miles on the regular version and love it. At first I didn't think such a minimalist saddle could be comfortable, but over two hours into a ride and the seat's just not what I'm thinking about at all. It really does just disappear for me. I suspect it's not the saddle for everyone (as is the case with any saddle), but it works for me.
Old 01-09-07, 10:41 PM

Bikes: Waterford, Orbea, Giant

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im with NOS88 on that. I've got maybe 6k miles on mine and love it also. Ive ridden several centuries on it with no complaints at all. Ive got the regular version, I didnt know they make a gel type. Several of my riding buddies have it also and all are happy. Looking at it you wouldnt think it would be comfortable at all. When I wear this one out I'm buying another.
Old 01-09-07, 10:49 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I've heard a lot of good feedback and reports but wonder if its just coming from "younger butts". Has anyone here tried either the regular or gel version by chance?
Best saddle I've owned, and I've tried a few

They make a few models (Toupe, Toupe Team and Toupe Gel). Basically all the same saddle, but different markings and the Gel has a thin layer of gel under the cover. The Team comes with matching S-Works handlebar wrap.

I've had two so far: the standard Toupe and the Toupe Gel. Love 'em both. I'll definately get another when this wears out.

Steve
Old 01-09-07, 11:44 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I saw one at a bike shop a few weeks ago. I don't know how you guys can sit on one for two hours. I would have committed hari kari after one hour.
Old 01-09-07, 11:49 PM
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got the regular Toupe. Good saddle. I've never suffered from any numbness on it. I suppose that's because it supports you very well on your sit-bones and you don't sink into anything.
Old 01-10-07, 12:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got two of them. After deciding that I needed to ditch the Bontrager saddle that came with my bike, I took a chance on a Toupe. The thing is alarming to look at... it looks like it's from outer space, and feels like a paper airplane when you pick it up. Plus you have to actually have the distance between your sit-bones measured to find the right size, which is a little weird. But I gave it a try, and I'm exceptionally glad that I did.

The saddle is hard, and when you look at it you can't really believe that it would be comfortable -- bearable, even -- to sit on for hours. But looks are deceiving in this instance. A key aspect of the saddle design, for me at least, is that the structure is so thin that it flexes perceptibly with each pedal stroke. For me, this flexing more than compensates for the hardness, effectively replacing any padding that the saddle might have. My experience is that you sit down on it at the start of a ride, think (while sitting still) "that's a pretty hard saddle"... and that's the last thought you give to it.

As I said, I have two of them. After putting in a couple thousand miles on the Toupe on my road bike, including several centuries, I also went out and got one for my trainer bike.

As with all saddle issues, it's a very personal thing, and your mileage may and probably will vary. But for what it's worth, I wouldn't put my butt on anything else.
Old 01-10-07, 01:39 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Curious -- how much better is the Toupe as compared to the Alias, if anyone's made the comparison? Is there a big difference?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-10-07, 08:01 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Curious -- how much better is the Toupe as compared to the Alias, if anyone's made the comparison? Is there a big difference?

I switched from the Alias to the Toupe. I found them both to be good saddles, but I find the Toupe to be a bit easier on the backside on long rides (over 2 hours). After about 2 hours, I'd start to get a little squirmy on the Alias... nothing serious... just a need to readjust my position every now and then to keep the blood flowing. I've had no such problem with the Toupe. I'm keeping my eyes open to find any sales on them, because if I do, I'll buy several.

One other comment.... I don't know how these would be on a very upright ride. I've only used them on a bike with drop bars. I suspect that if one put too much weight on just the seat, it might not be quite as comfortable.... but this is just speculation on my part.
Old 01-10-07, 10:48 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I switched from the Alias to the Toupe. I found them both to be good saddles, but I find the Toupe to be a bit easier on the backside on long rides (over 2 hours). After about 2 hours, I'd start to get a little squirmy on the Alias... nothing serious... just a need to readjust my position every now and then to keep the blood flowing. I've had no such problem with the Toupe. I'm keeping my eyes open to find any sales on them, because if I do, I'll buy several.

One other comment.... I don't know how these would be on a very upright ride. I've only used them on a bike with drop bars. I suspect that if one put too much weight on just the seat, it might not be quite as comfortable.... but this is just speculation on my part.
Well, my ride is fairly upright, and I love my Alias, but of course YMMV. Then too, I don't ride really long distances hardly ever.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-10-07, 11:10 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Well, my ride is fairly upright, and I love my Alias, but of course YMMV. Then too, I don't ride really long distances hardly ever.
The Alias has more padding than even the gel Toupe. It also comes in one size larger than the Toupe. Finally, the Alias has a slightly flatter top. All of these would add up to a seat that should be a bit more comfortable for upright riding.
Old 01-10-07, 01:47 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Okay-I"ll probably have to give one a try. A "team" model caught my eye that will not only really compliment my bike but hopefully my butt as well. I've tried other firmer saddles with carbon shells and some seem to do really well for about 50 miles but by 70 miles tears are coming down my cheeks. What appeals to me about the Toupe is the flexing and that might offset some of the other issues I was having with other firmer saddles. If it doesn't work for me I'll always have my standbys that I can ride on for hours and hours....I do have to be pretty careful with saddles as I have large mass under one of my sit bones that "squishes" around when I ride. Needless to say it can get pretty uncomfortable if it gets irritated so I don't need for it to get it inflamed.

The last thing you want is to have 20 miles or about 2 hours remaining to the top of Mt Mitchell and have your butt or lower back screaming at you. Heck, there's enough pain in other parts of the body as it is.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Exactly what I was looking for. None of you are on retainer to Specialized I trust**********?
Old 01-10-07, 10:36 PM

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Cannondale SR500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 60+ yr old rear end likes the Toupe so far. Have not had it long and have not been able to work in a ride longer than 2 hrs so far but it is working well for me so far.