Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are there any HONORABLE on-line wheelbuilders?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-13-07, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please learn to build your own wheelsor be extremely cautious in selecting a wheel builder.
I will avoid any/all future transaction/interaction with www.SUPERSPOKES.com
I ordered a Ultegra-Velocity Fusion-DT Swiss wheelset in early December. I was told that it would "take a couple of days to get the Ultegra hubs so I would not receive my new wheels in time for Christmas" but I was assured delivery during the week after Christmas. It has been over a month since my credit card was charged and still no wheels and no completion/ship date. They will not/do not return phone calls. They will NOT provide urgently requested build status and completionship dates via email.
I do not expect to receive the new wheels at all.
I normally build my own wheels (with great satisfaction) but I was recovering from (October) triple bypass surgery.
Please provide opinions and suggestions for selecting an on-line wheel builder.
Old 01-13-07, 01:24 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I let my LBS do mine - 3 sets over the last 4 years. Same guy, No problems to date. Course I don't race anymore, except myself. Also get free tuning if needed after 6 months.
Old 01-13-07, 01:32 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've probably already contacted your credit card company, right? They might "stop payment" or whatever it's called.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-13-07, 01:43 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Joe Young built two sets of bullet-proof wheels for me. He is the best in the opinion of many (and not cheap, either) Interesting web site: https://www.youngwheels.com/
Old 01-13-07, 02:14 PM
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,030 Posts
Looks like these folks are in Minneapolis or thereabouts from the area code. Maybe there is Minneapolis TV station that that does a Consumer Watch-type segment on their local news. Try to enlist their aid. Also, the Hennepin COunty Sherrif's office or Minneapolis PD (the fraud units) might be able to help. Just a thought.
Old 01-13-07, 03:02 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I must admit that I am lucky. Plenty of Good wheelbuilders in the UK and The one I use is at the other end of the country. Got onto him via a special deal on a cheap set of wheels (Cheap on cost -not quality) and stayed with him for years. Then just before one of my big rides My LBS helped me out on a quick repair on the Tandem wheels and Use them now.

I used the Wheelbuilder initially for cost but they build a pretty good wheel and the advice they offer is top rate. I would like to know how they can offer a complete wheel for the Retail Price of just the Hubs- but they do. My LBS were quoting me a lot more for a wheel build- Till I told them what I could get the wheel for, and now they come near the price. Quality between the two is the same- Excellent- so I now use the LBS.
Incidentally- In the last year- 3 bike shops in my locality have closed down, and I have heard of the only one in my home town closing down next week. I only used the local shop occasionally as they do not offer performance or top quality products, but yet another bike shop closing down- because we are all using the internet for purchases.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-13-07, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
I have had wheelbuilding done by St. John's Street Cycles. in the UK.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/

Even with the relative values of the dollar and pound, I feel they are still a great value.

Paul
Old 01-13-07, 03:10 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No personal experience but guys on other forums (or would that be fora) rave about Mike Garcia. Site is https://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/index.htm?338.
Old 01-13-07, 03:19 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
I have had wheelbuilding done by St. John's Street Cycles. in the UK.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/

Even with the relative values of the dollar and pound, I feel they are still a great value.

Paul
Have found SJS to be arrogant when advice requested. They are the "Experts" or so they say- but they are about 20 years out of date. They are also expensive on a lot of their items-- Saying that- If anyone is looking for a good Front Halogen lamp that is just about good enough for Offroad use and is cheap- Look at the SMART twin halogen lamps that they do. I can recommend them and SJS do knock them out cheap. This is probably the cheapest Front lamp that works and is available in the UK.

The Online shop I use is Merlin cycles and they are Only MTB. Quality is superb and they are cheap. As to the accessories- they do a good range and are cheaper than my LBS but may still be expensive compared to the US.

https://www.merlincycles.co.uk/bikes-and-wheels.htm

Spike Milligan
Old 01-13-07, 06:07 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 819 Posts
I build my own wheels, but I recommend my favorite of several LSBs, Leucadia Cyclery, and my favorite mail order, Harris Cyclery of West Newton MA (Sheldon's turf).
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-13-07, 06:23 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Peter Chisholm at Vecchio's in Bolder CO built me a great set of wheels. He's kind of old-fashioned and opinionated, but then, so am I.
https://www.vecchios.com/bikes.html

Colorado Cyclists wheels are very good too. I finally found a local guy with a great reputation who I plan to use next time I need a good set of wheels made.
Old 01-13-07, 07:24 PM

Bikes: RANS Dynamik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thrifty1
Please learn to build your own wheelsor be extremely cautious in selecting a wheel builder.
I ordered a Ultegra-Velocity Fusion-DT Swiss wheelset in early December. I was told that it would "take a couple of days to get the Ultegra hubs so I would not receive my new wheels in time for Christmas" but I was assured delivery during the week after Christmas. It has been over a month since my credit card was charged and still no wheels and no completion/ship date. They will not/do not return phone calls. They will NOT provide urgently requested build status and completionship dates via email.
I normally build my own wheels (with great satisfaction) but I was recovering from (October) triple bypass surgery.

I've used Joe Young and have never had an issue and the quality of his work is outstanding.

https://www.youngwheels.com/
Old 01-13-07, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Can't help with this. I've always buit my own wheels and it's not difficult. Use good quality parts and follow
a few time proven rules and you'll have good, durable wheels. All it requires is a decent spoke wrench.
Old 01-13-07, 09:15 PM

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Afraid I'm no help either, another determined do-it-yourselfer. Actually I find the zen of wheel building one of the most relaxing antidotes for a really s**k-a** day. Which means I'm now stretching my tubulars on complete wheels, not just rims. They'll probably never see a bike frame, but they're so relaxing to build.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-14-07, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry you've had such a bad experience. I used to build my own wheels during the winter months. The downside of that is that when something goes wrong with the wheel down the road, there's no one to blame but yourself. Actually, I have a pair of 20 year old wheels I built up on a set of high flange Dura Ace hubs that are still going strong.
Old 01-14-07, 10:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much for your responses and suggestions.
I am glad I used a credit card instead of my debit card. I have contacted the credit card customer service and they are sending forms appropriate for disputing the charge.
Since I now have the OK from my cardiologist, I shall gather the components (already have all tools) and build the wheels myself.
I have become very apprehensive about ordering from a company that charges a "restocking/cancellation" fee. I am suspicious that the scam is to take an order (possibly no intention of filling it), perpetrate cancellation by putting the customer off untill cancellation, and collect the "restock/cacellation" fee with no expediture/effort.
TRUST has become obsolete for me.......Please be cautious!
Old 01-14-07, 01:03 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=Thrifty1 Since I now have the OK from my cardiologist, I shall gather the components (already have all tools) and build the wheels myself.
QUOTE]
Now the problem starts for the rest of us. What hubs/spokes/ rims are you going to use and what style of riding, on what bike and how aggressive.

And to quote yourself.....Please be cautious! On the building and all the advice you are about to get.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-14-07, 02:53 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Consider a phone call to Rich (Hands on Wheels) at Rivendell Bicycles. He's built me two pair at very reasonable prices and he's very flexible about choices you want to make. Prices very competitive. The roads I ride are pretty "country", chip seal to pot hole, and his wheels have stayed very true and held up well.

Anyway, another choice. Rivendell is very approachable and has a good reputation for customer satisfaction.
Old 01-14-07, 04:58 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Thanks for the post Thrify 1. At least the rest of us won't get stung by that firm. I just built my first wheel and I'm finishing the final tension process. I made plenty of mistakes and was thinking of posting a top 10 things not to do when building a wheel. But overall, I found it was tedious, but not that hard.
Old 01-14-07, 05:50 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I just sent this email to Superspokes:

support@superspokes.com

60,000 bicyclers may read this thread!

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=260554
Old 01-14-07, 08:00 PM
Old Noob

Location: Mid-MN not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

Bikes: Downtube VIIIFS folder, 2 Strida 3 folders, HP Velotechnik "Grasshopper" and a Burley "Hep Cat"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks maybe a little "iffy"

Checked the phone number in White Pages and got:

"The name and address associated with this phone number are unlisted or private.
Phone Details Type: Cell Phone Provider: Verizon Wireless Location: Twin Cities, MN"

Hope it works out for you OK

Good luck
Old 01-14-07, 08:48 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
No personal experience but guys on other forums (or would that be fora) rave about Mike Garcia. Site is https://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/index.htm?338.
Mike is aces. He built me a custom set and I love it.

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 01-14-07 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-15-07, 10:46 AM

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
Thanks for the post Thrify 1. At least the rest of us won't get stung by that firm. I just built my first wheel and I'm finishing the final tension process. I made plenty of mistakes and was thinking of posting a top 10 things not to do when building a wheel. But overall, I found it was tedious, but not that hard.
Keep building - by the time you hit the fourth wheel, your fingers have a good idea of what to do, it's coming automatically, and the tediousness disappears. Now, you add a good beer or two, a fine cigar, and settle back in your chair for an quiet, relaxing, enjoyable evening.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-15-07, 11:35 AM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thrifty1
Gary, I understand that you're peeved but what if the wheelbuilder has just had the flu for the last couple of weeks like the rest of the country? My local shop guy might take a month or more to build me a custom set of wheels. So why should your guy be any different?

I've found that given enough patience most people come through for you. I probably wouldn't go to them again because of the communications issues but still would expect my wheels.

And you CAN cancel the credit card debt after a 30 day delay from their expected delivery date.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Mavic-Ksyrium-Eq...QQcmdZViewItem

It's EXTREMELY difficult to beat these wheels.
Old 01-15-07, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I'm real happy with the wheels Spin-Lite built for my LWB recumbent. Lighter, stronger and better (sealed) bearings. Black; rims, spokes, hubs and nipples. Yeah! Ultimate road wheels? No! Just real nice wheels for 'bent bent that only set me back $350.00. I like it. bk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.