Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Is this still a "Bike Path?" (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/260520-still-bike-path.html)

DnvrFox 01-13-07 10:30 AM

Is this still a "Bike Path?"

Is this still a "Bike Path?" (Taken with my cell phone camera)

They haven't yet plowed today after last nights snow. Temp was -8F (-22C) on my morning walk.

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox/113snow3.jpg
http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox/113snow2.jpg

And here is a few feet of snow piled in front of my house. The front loaders dumped the snow from the street on our already deeply snow-covered lawns!

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox/113snow1.jpg

Louis 01-13-07 11:44 AM

Wow! You guys are really getting hammered this year.

Have you ever tried cross country(XC) skiing? When our Ohio winters were regularly as snowy as yours, I did a lot of XC skiing. Good fun and quite a workout.

DnvrFox 01-13-07 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Louis
Wow! You guys are really getting hammered this year.

Have you ever tried cross country(XC) skiing? When our Ohio winters were regularly as snowy as yours, I did a lot of XC skiing. Good fun and quite a workout.

I would love to. We have XC skis, but with my wife's knee replacement on Monday, she does not want me doing anything that might involve an injury to me, and she considers XC skiing to be one of those activities (I don't, but, you know . . . . ).

If I was injured, she couldn't have her surgery, as I am her support afterwards.

vger285 01-13-07 12:10 PM

Smart women!

Sandwarrior 01-13-07 12:16 PM

I hope all goes well with the surgery tomorrow. At least they have plowed the trails in Parker. I have not seen a single plowed trail in Aurora yet. So disappointing!:mad:

Red Baron 01-13-07 01:26 PM

And I'm greiving over rain and 57 degrees, Dang what a fool I am.
Good Luck DF.

robtown 01-13-07 01:36 PM

Wow - they plow the MUP? Outside of D.C. they count on the hot air to keep it dry.

Retro Grouch 01-13-07 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by robtown
Wow - they plow the MUP? Outside of D.C. they count on the hot air to keep it dry.

Oh oh! I never thought of all the hot air that's generated in DC. There goes any chance what-so-ever of eliminating global warming.

Motorad 01-13-07 03:10 PM

I have to ask. What does MUP mean? Also, is there a place on bikeforum that explains the terms and words? I use Sheldon Brown's glossary, but a lot of the slang terms are not mentioned in his glossary.

Tom Stormcrowe 01-13-07 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Motorad
I have to ask. What does MUP mean? Also, is there a place on bikeforum that explains the terms and words? I use Sheldon Brown's glossary, but a lot of the slang terms are not mentioned in his glossary.

MUP= Multi Use Pathway;)

jppe 01-13-07 03:54 PM

Oh my.........that's a lot of snow. Did the ski slopes west of you get their fair share this year?

Tom Bombadil 01-13-07 04:49 PM

That's how Wisconsin paths usually look for about 3-4 months out of the year. Not this year though.

And when they look like your pics, that's when the snowmobilers are out in full force.

Monoborracho 01-13-07 05:01 PM

Jimminiy!!! I'm going to quit complaining about below freezing temps for 48 hours.

Coloradopenguin 01-13-07 05:24 PM

just spent Wednesday skiing at Copper Mtn resort about 90 miles west of Denver -- they need new snow! This weekend's storm is supposed to dumping on them, but on Wednesday it was hard snowpack.

Terrierman 01-13-07 05:27 PM

That stuff is going to be a long time leaving....

BluesDawg 01-13-07 06:04 PM

I'm really appreciating the 65 degree overcast day we had today. A few of us rode 55 miles with a friend for his birthday ride. Beautiful day. Not a flake of snow.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...kleRide-4a.jpg

DnvrFox 01-13-07 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
That's how Wisconsin paths usually look for about 3-4 months out of the year. Not this year though.

And when they look like your pics, that's when the snowmobilers are out in full force.

No motorized vehicles (except snow plows and maintenance vehicles allowed anywhere near any of our MUPS

Originally Posted by robtown

Yes, they always plow the MUPS. Usually as fast as the roads. Not this time, though. Every ounce of energy went to the main roads, then, finally, the side roads, then the MUPS, somewhere in there. They have had to plow regularly this year!

2manybikes 01-13-07 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Is this still a "Bike Path?" (Taken with my cell phone camera)

They haven't yet plowed today after last nights snow. Temp was -8F (-22C) on my morning walk.
And here is a few feet of snow piled in front of my house. The front loaders dumped the snow from the street on our already deeply snow-covered lawns!

I'm not suggesting you ride on the path. I understand your reasons for not doing it.
Just saying I would love to ride there now. (the path, and the road if it's hard packed)

DnvrFox 01-13-07 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I'm not suggesting you ride on the path. I understand your reasons for not doing it.
Just saying I would love to ride there now. (the path, and the road if it's hard packed)

The main roads are dry, except the side roads, which are still quite icy with ruts which could throw one around a bit.

Actually, I would like to ride on the MUP, but not right now. This particular plowed section goes about 25 miles.

2manybikes 01-13-07 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
The main roads are dry, except the side roads, which are still quite icy with ruts which could throw one around a bit.

Actually, I would like to ride on the MUP, but not right now. This particular plowed section goes about 25 miles.

Great looking path. :beer:

p8rider 01-13-07 08:14 PM

You've got as real winter there this year Dfox!!
I hope all goes well for your wife.

sykerocker 01-13-07 09:10 PM

62 degrees in Richmond today, nice and sunny with a storm front coming in. Had a lousy day at work (both parts and service on Saturdays), got home watching the front come in. Grabbed the Raleigh mtb since it was ready to go, and managed nine miles, the last two outrunning the raindrops. Supposed to pour tomorrow and possibly Monday, so I have a feeling that's my roadwork for this weekend.

Loved the snow pictures, reminded me of my years in Erie. Ride all summer, XC ski all winter. Still have three pairs of skiis, but they've gathered dust in the attic since I moved to VA in 98 - yeah, 50 miles west is the Blue Ridge, but I was spoiled by being able to just strap on and cut through the back yard.

I miss the skiing.

RockyMtnMerlin 01-14-07 12:21 AM

Minus 19 here right now. Thankfully no wind. Supposed to be minus 22F tomorrow night. Gotta love livin on the high plains (7200 ft) in the winter.

DnvrFox 01-21-07 06:28 PM

Another 10 inches of snow today in Parker (so far - it is still snowing). My seven foot snow piles on the lawn are GROWING!

jppe 01-21-07 08:18 PM

Unbelievable. Of course if you're a fan of snow cream I guess it can be quite heavenly!!

Any guesses as to when it will all be gone???? July????