Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Got the OK to buy another bike! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/260629-got-ok-buy-another-bike.html)

sknhgy 01-13-07 08:19 PM

Got the OK to buy another bike!

The other night me and the wife went out to eat. I've been wanting a second, back-up bike for awhile. Actually, a hybrid to go along with my Trek mtb. Not being a biker, she doesn't normally see the sense in spending $400 on a bicycle. Anyway, I finally came right out and said I wanted to get me another ride. She kind of looked at me funny, then said she didn't have a problem with that.
Instread of rushing out and getting that Trek 7300 hybrid, I've kind of been holding off because I'm enjoying the feeling of knowing I can buy a bike anytime I want. The anticipation is nice. It was difficult walking out of the shop today without the new Trek. It is the prettiest red..............................
Maybe I'll go back there next weekend.:D

fopianki 01-13-07 08:30 PM

If I were you I'd rush right out and get it...before the dishwasher breaks down, the car needs a new muffler, the dog needs an operation, etc, etc, etc!!! Then you can kiss that new bike adios... :eek: Frankp

CrossChain 01-13-07 08:31 PM

Like staring at that chocolate sundae enjoying the moment of anticipation before plunging in your spoon. Seems to me the wife has "earned" a dinner at her favorite restaurant, or new earrings, etc........or is that too obvious?

sknhgy 01-13-07 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by CrossChain
Like staring at that chocolate sundae enjoying the moment of anticipation before plunging in your spoon. Seems to me the wife has "earned" a dinner at her favorite restaurant, or new earrings, etc........or is that too obvious?

Yea. Probably a good idea. Thanks.

Blackberry 01-13-07 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by sknhgy
Yea. Probably a good idea. Thanks.

Not probably. Do it. Don't ask me how I know this.

NOS88 01-14-07 08:38 AM

Lucky, lucky man. Unlike fopianki, I'd hold on to that "I can buy a bike anytime I want" feeling. And, if you're patient, you may find some really good buys as you cruise all the bike shops within a 500 mile radius... afterall, you have to make sure you invest your money wisely.

BluesDawg 01-14-07 08:53 AM

Way to go, sknhgy! You got the all-clear just by asking. :beer:
Definitely show your wife that you appreciate her understanding. Who knows, maybe a little positive reinforcement could lead to a budget increase.;)

My most recent addition required that I finance the new bike by selling off old bike parts and our extra tandem. Ebay came through for me and I'm really enjoying my new Specialized Rockhopper Comp.

One thing though, you seem to have already decided on what bike you plan to buy. How can you be so selfish? Don't you know how much this forum loves to offer advice to people contemplating a new bike purchase? Heck, you haven't even given anyone a chance to suggest you get a recumbent! :D

roccobike 01-14-07 09:03 AM

COOL! I think fopianki is right. When my wife gave me the OK to buy a dually, I had it in the basement within a week.
However I did point out to my wife that my bike riding was great exercise that will cause me to live longer. Almost cost me the Ok to buy the bike!

sknhgy 01-14-07 10:26 AM

Hey, I've only been to 2 bike shops so far. There's at least one more I want to go to, AND St. Louis is having a big bike show on the 28th of this month.
Cannondale and Trek both have hybrids that are very similar for just under $400. I'd like to look at a Fuji too. There's a shop that sells those about an hour away. Like the rest of us geezers, I'm looking for comfort.
Recumbents are out. Too many dogs, trucks, hills, weeds, etc. where I ride. I don't want to be that close to the ground. So, as you can tell, I haven't 100% made up my mind.

Artkansas 01-14-07 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by fopianki
If I were you I'd rush right out and get it...before the dishwasher breaks down, the car needs a new muffler, the dog needs an operation, etc, etc, etc!!! Then you can kiss that new bike adios... :eek: Frankp

Spoken with wisdom.

BluesDawg 01-15-07 07:39 PM

Not being critical of your choices, just curious about how you've decided on a hybrid, particularly one with front suspension. I've seen several people in my cycling club buy that type of bike only to move quickly to something else.

pinerider 01-16-07 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Artkansas
Spoken with wisdom.

My wife made the mistake last year of saying "Maybe you should buy a boat for fishing" I brought one home the next night before she had a chance to change her mind.

This Christmas we both just bought each other a token gift with the intention of buying ourselves something later on. So Dec. 28 I bought myself a 1992ish Vitus aluminum road bike with Dura-Ace components for $220. She wasn't real happy with that purchase, either but.... (maybe if I got rid of some of the other 8 bikes at home!!)
My Mother-in-law actually encouraged me by telling me how fortunate I am to have cycling as a hobby and a way to keep in shape!

sknhgy 01-16-07 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Not being critical of your choices, just curious about how you've decided on a hybrid, particularly one with front suspension. I've seen several people in my cycling club buy that type of bike only to move quickly to something else.

I am interested in this type of bike because 1) It will be better on pavement than my Trek 820 but still go on gravel paths, and 2) It will let me ride in a more upright posture. My hands get sore as I age.

What have been your experiences with hybrids?

BluesDawg 01-16-07 08:54 PM

I've never owned a factory built hybrid. My wife had a GT Arrette hybrid that I thought was a very versatile bike. We made it even more upright for her by changing the bar to a North Road type bar which was very comfortable. I have converted a few old steel non-suspended mountain bikes into hybrid-type bikes by adding smooth tires and various handlebar changes. With high pressure smooth tread tires, there is little or no speed difference between bikes with 26" and 700c wheels. I am currently converting a '92 Trek 970 to an upright around town bike using the bars that were once on my wife's hybrid.
I have known 3 people who bought Trek 7300s when they first started riding bikes. All 3 liked them and enjoyed riding them but sold them in less than a year to get more roadworthy bikes. 2 went to Pilot/Sequoia type road bikes with high-mounted drop bars and one went to a FX something fitness bike. The main reason they cited for moving on was the suspension fork. That would be my biggest problem too. I don't really see any use for a suspension fork on a bike to be ridden on roads or smooth gravel paths.
Since you are set on an upright position, my suggestion would be to take a look at the Trek 7.2FX or 7.3FX or one of the Specialized Globe models before making your final choice. But in the end, it is your choice. You know far better than I what kind of bike will make you smile. Whatever bike you get, ride it and enjoy it.

jppe 01-17-07 09:44 AM

BluesDawg provides some excellent advice. Several of us have gone down a very similar path thinking "the next step" was all we needed and wanted. In reality, after several different bikes we eventually wound up with road bikes.....and not just the "basic" models!!! Don't let us dissuade you from what you really want but I think our advice is just to make sure you're sure of what you really want!!! And then don't be too surprised if what you really want changes after you've had it for a while.

littledog 01-17-07 11:20 AM

That is great that you are getting a new bike.:D

I have a Trek 820 and and a Trek 7300FX. The FX doesn't have a suspension fork. My experience is that the two bikes are redundant. Same weight and same gearing. I ended up putting North Road type handlebars,Hank 2.1" slicks which run 35-75 PSI and a cruiser seat with springs on the 820 MTB. It makes for a super comfortable road ride and still handles a level gravel or hard packed dirt trail fairly well.

My experience is that of BluesDawg and jppe that most people who buy a mid priced hybrid with suspension soon move up to a comfort road bike. I did a year later.:)

stapfam 01-17-07 11:40 AM

Front suspension has a few problems- unless you are going over terrain that is going utilise it. Even offroad- the only time suspension comes in is downhill at high speed.

First problem is the weight of the forks-They are heavy. Standard fork will weigh about 1 1/2 lbs wheras suspension will be about 4 lbs. Unless the fork has rebound adjustment- It can be like a Pogo Stick and whenever you put in power-the forks go up and down and lose pedalling effort. Then there is the Effort required to pedal over lumps in the trail. Then there is the maintenance- not that easy and not cheap.

I actually got a road bike this year and was surprised at how comfortable a ride I get on rough cycle tracks. No necessity for suspension on them and even smooth offroad trails have not caused a problem.

Beverly 01-17-07 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by littledog
That is great that you are getting a new bike.:D

My experience is that of BluesDawg and jppe that most people who buy a mid priced hybrid with suspension soon move up to a comfort road bike. I did a year later.:)

That's been my experience, too. I started with a Jamis Aragon with suspension then switched to a Trek 1800C (comfort road bike) and finally ended up with a regular Trek road bike last year. I still ride the
1800C occasionally but haven't rode the Jamis for a few years. The grandkids use it when they visit.

SaiKaiTai 01-17-07 06:10 PM

You walked out empty handed? Hm. A bird in hand...

It's fascinating to me; it seems no matter what a person's given interest is, there's always a desire for more. Just ask any guitar player about G.A.S. Hell, ask me... the grass is *always* greener and the next new one will always fill a niche that ain't filled now. I know allllll the "reasons", believe me :lol:
I also know about buying the Mrs a token of your appreciation. For my wife, it's the "Blue Box". I've probably spent more on her "makeup gifts" than I have on the goodies I'm making up for. Small price to pay, really.

Nothing wrong with a hybrid. It's what I went with when I came back to riding after my -say it with me, now- 20 year layoff. I have enough of the "little boy" left in me that, if I see a trail or path or gravel road that leads... somewhere, I wanna take it. I didn't do that with my old roadie, I wouldn't do it with a new one now, either but with my Kaitai it's a whole 'nother story. One piece of advice: if the Trek comes with knobbies, replace 'em. I told my LBS that I'd be doing maybe 70/30 on-road/off-road and he set me up with some Armadillos; not the best road tire, not the best off-road tire but it does both pretty well. And they are near bullet-proof. As for the forks, I don't know what the Trek has on it but my bike has a lock down so it doesn't do the "boing" under a heavy load. I always lock mine down just before a hard climb. No probs, there, at all.

As for me... I kind of have my thoughts turning toward getting a nice road bike once I start going for longer rides than the 20 miles I'm doing now. It never ends...

sknhgy 01-17-07 07:06 PM

One big reason I want a second bike is where I live. I am at least a good hour's drive from a bike repair shop. And I can only get to them on a Saturday. If my bike goes down I'm easily grounded for a week, and I don't like that. I've needed their services twice in the last year.

After reading this thread, I am going for something without front suspension. Also, I can't/won't use down-turned handlebars. They had several other Treks at the shop that didn't have front suspension. Now I'm glad I didn't grab that purty red bicycle. Those 7.2 and 7.3 fx's look interesting. I think they showed me some of those. Might have to take a (truck) ride back up there to the bike shop.

roccobike 01-17-07 07:47 PM

sknhgy, IMHO, your decision to go with a rigid fork is a good one.
If you're other bike is a Trek 820, why not try a shorter stem or an adjustable stem that will allow a steep, upward angle. That will raise the bars and put you in a more upright position. The 820 is a really nice bike (we own a 2002 model) but its frame design makes it close to a hybrid. I think they're great for gravel paths.

Tom Bombadil 01-17-07 09:18 PM

It's been 4 days since getting the go-ahead and you don't have a bike yet???

:-)

I know I'd take a few weeks.

MichiganMike 01-18-07 06:37 PM

I showed this to my wife and got the OK to get the touring bike I have been wanting. I had been talking sailboat so the bike was a relief to her. Wanted an 06 Cannondale T800 or T2000 thinking I could get one a little cheaper and found one in a LBS about 2.5 hours away. They had it listed online for a nice price. I shoulda known better. Went there late today to look at it, and buy it. You guessed it. They haven't had it since November. Nice that they updated their website closeout page. Still looking. Just to hedge my bets, I talk about the sailboat at least once every night.

Tom Bombadil 01-18-07 07:44 PM

I always try to remind myself to call before driving to see a special or take a test ride. When I have called, I've found that they don't have what I was interested in at least 50%-60% of the time.

pastorbobnlnh 01-19-07 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by sknhgy
One big reason I want a second bike is where I live. I am at least a good hour's drive from a bike repair shop. And I can only get to them on a Saturday. If my bike goes down I'm easily grounded for a week, and I don't like that. I've needed their services twice in the last year.

After reading this thread, I am going for something without front suspension. Also, I can't/won't use down-turned handlebars. They had several other Treks at the shop that didn't have front suspension. Now I'm glad I didn't grab that purty red bicycle. Those 7.2 and 7.3 fx's look interesting. I think they showed me some of those. Might have to take a (truck) ride back up there to the bike shop.

I'm jumping in really late on this conversation, but when I saw that you live some distance from the LBS, that one objective is a back-up bike, and that suspension is no longer needed--- why not buy an older steel frame bike, and teach yourself how to maintain it? A good Craig's List deal on either a MTB or a road bike for a $100 or less, and then swap out the tires and components that you don't like.

I have this same challenge. The closest (not so) LBS is 40 miles away. I've taught myself everything except wheel truing and building, and that is next on the list. Where do you live?