Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Business Shills (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/260766-business-shills.html)

head_wind 01-14-07 10:59 AM

Business Shills

Before moving to Colorado my company (who wished to move
~1,000 of us) had the Colorado Springs Chamber of Commerce
and some real estate people address us. That is when I learned
to expect about 570 sunny days a year. I'm still waiting.

stapfam 01-14-07 12:57 PM

The Sunny days are there but not quite in the numbers you were expecting. The ones you miss are the ones where you have to work so that cuts into the 570 by about 365.

bobkat 01-14-07 01:25 PM

Get in your pedal powered airplane on oxygen and pedal high enough there is always sunlight every day! Still can only make 365 though...........

head_wind 01-14-07 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by bobkat
Get in your pedal powered airplane on oxygen and pedal high enough there is always sunlight every day! Still can only make 365 though...........

I've never been big on the laws of physics.
Is 365 a prime number or something??

Bud Bent 01-14-07 09:12 PM

That reminds me of the Dallas/Fort Worth propaganda that points out the average temperature here is something like 70 degrees. What they don't tell you is that it's never actually 70 degrees here, it's either 100 degrees, or 35 degrees.

head_wind 01-14-07 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bud Bent
That reminds me of the Dallas/Fort Worth propaganda that points out the average temperature here is something like 70 degrees. What they don't tell you is that it's never actually 70 degrees here, it's either 100 degrees, or 35 degrees.

The mean doesn't even have to exist. The average person
has one breast and one testicle. While I don't really know
for sure, I probably don't know many of them.

ltspd 01-16-07 06:19 PM

Hang In There.....

Originally Posted by head_wind

This is a freak winter. I've lived in the Springs seven years and have for the most part been able to ride year round'. If I couldn't, I'd live some place else.

head_wind 01-16-07 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by ltspd
This is a freak winter. I've lived in the Springs seven years and have for the most part been able to ride year round'. If I couldn't, I'd live some place else.

I've been here 14 years so I do know that this is different.
It also appears that this was normal for periods in the '80s
and '60s and likely more than that. Are we in for more??
Wait and see.

SSP 01-17-07 12:38 AM

It's God's wrath on all the fundamentalist whacko's there in the Springs (Ted Haggard, James Dobson, etc.).

Last fall's election results were just the start...prepare for plagues of locusts this spring.

howsteepisit 01-17-07 01:53 AM

I am from southern Illinois originally, and I recall back in the early and mid 70's the weather was pretty nice until well into January, then it changed, and got nasty in Novembr and December. Now its been pretty nice into January again. Weather has a 20 year cycle. Here in Montana we have learned to live with it.

DnvrFox 01-17-07 06:48 AM

Without a hard winter, how could one enjoy a beautiful spring?

BTW, I thought the thread was entitled, Business sKills and was hoping for some pointers.

The Weak Link 01-17-07 07:33 AM

I think if you go up a ways in one of those Air Force training gliders, you'll find out that it is indeed always sunny over Colorado Springs, if you go up high enough.

head_wind 01-17-07 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link
I think if you go up a ways in one of those Air Force training gliders, you'll find out that it is indeed always sunny over Colorado Springs, if you go up high enough.

Although I haven't seen it for a while, at times those guys get
towed two-at-a-time. That would worry the bejeebers out of
me. They probably stopped when I ran out of bejeebers.

capejohn 01-17-07 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by SSP
It's God's wrath on all the fundamentalist whacko's there in the Springs (Ted Haggard, James Dobson, etc.).

Last fall's election results were just the start...prepare for plagues of locusts this spring.

Ha! Funny +1

Monoborracho 01-17-07 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by SSP

There must be a reason you call people names.

RockyMtnMerlin 01-17-07 04:25 PM

Although I haven't seen it for a while, at times those guys get
towed two-at-a-time. That would worry the bejeebers out of
me. They probably stopped when I ran out of bejeebers.

A couple of them crashed when I lived there (just south of the AFA south fence). If I remember correctly at least one of the glider pilots died of his injuries.

SSP 01-17-07 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Monoborracho
There must be a reason you call people names.

Well, it was meant as a joke about their weather.

But, as far as the use of "fundamentalist whacko" in describing Haggard, Dobson, et al...I was simply trying to be accurate. :D

You don't happen to live in Jerusalem on the Brazos (Waco), by any chance?

Monoborracho 01-17-07 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by SSP
Well, it was meant as a joke about their weather.

But, as far as the use of "fundamentalist whacko" in describing Haggard, Dobson, et al...I was simply trying to be accurate. :D

You don't happen to live in Jerusalem on the Brazos (Waco), by any chance?

There you go again, professing to know what accuracy is (enforcing your name calling) and making fun of a place in Texas because I live here.

Since you are atheistic what do you really know about fundamentalism? And why does it bother you?

SSP 01-17-07 05:58 PM

There you go again, professing to know what accuracy is (enforcing your name calling) and making fun of a place in Texas because I live here.

Since you are atheistic what do you really know about fundamentalism? And why does it bother you?

The "accuracy" line was another joke (thus, the smiley).

As for the rest:

a) I grew up in north Texas (north of Dallas), and visit family there at least once per year, so I know the area and its religious culture pretty well.

b) While I'm a card-carrying "secular humanist", I have many friends who are Christians. My brother is a lifelong committed Christian who is very active in his church...and yet, he would agree with me that Haggard, Robertson, Dobson, and others of that ilk are "fundamentalist whackos".

c) Fundamentalists worry me when they get into positions of power because it's very difficult to have a dialog with someone who truly believes he's on a "mission from God" (very similar point of view as Osama bin Laden, for instance). And I don't want my kids taught nonsense (like, that the earth is only 6000 years old, and the Grand Canyon was formed by Noah's flood :rolleyes: ).

d) As for what I really know about fundamentalism...well, this is the 50+ forum. Like most members, I've been around a half century, and have studied religion, politics, etc. during that time. It's not rocket science...

Monoborracho 01-17-07 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by SSP
The "accuracy" line was another joke (thus, the smiley).

As for the rest:

a) I grew up in north Texas (north of Dallas), and visit family there at least once per year, so I know the area and its religious culture pretty well.

b) While I'm a card-carrying "secular humanist", I have many friends who are Christians. My brother is a lifelong committed Christian who is very active in his church...and yet, he would agree with me that Haggard, Robertson, Dobson, and others of that ilk are "fundamentalist whackos".

c) Fundamentalists worry me when they get into positions of power because it's very difficult to have a dialog with someone who truly believes he's on a "mission from God" (very similar point of view as Osama bin Laden, for instance). And I don't want my kids taught nonsense (like, that the earth is only 6000 years old, and the Grand Canyon was formed by Noah's flood :rolleyes: ).

d) As for what I really know about fundamentalism...well, this is the 50+ forum. Like most members, I've been around a half century, and have studied religion, politics, etc. during that time. It's not rocket science...

Secular humanist? Do you really carry cards? Is that a catch all to define behavior? What is a secular humanist?

I too, don't want my kids taught non-sense (like...call your "shack-up" a SO...berate other people to improve your own self image, etc. etc.)

SSP 01-17-07 06:23 PM

Secular humanist? Do you really carry cards? Is that a catch all to define behavior? What is a secular humanist?

I too, don't want my kids taught non-sense (like...call your "shack-up" a SO...berate other people to improve your own self image, etc. etc.)

Secular humanism is a humanist philosophy that upholds reason, ethics, and justice, and specifically rejects the supernatural and the spiritual as warrants of moral reflection and decision-making.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism.

For a more extensive examination of the philosophy:

http://www.secularhumanism.org/

And, yes, I'm the "secular humanist" that your preacher warns you about, and the "secular progressive" that O'Reilly rails against on Faux Newz to sell his "cultural warrior" books. :D

Digital Gee 01-17-07 06:25 PM

Okay you two, shake hands and let's move on! :)

SSP 01-17-07 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Okay you two, shake hands and let's move on! :)

Agreed...sorry for the thread drift (but he started it! :D).

Digital Gee 01-17-07 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by SSP
Agreed...sorry for the thread drift (but he started it! :D).

SSP -- go to your room. Now, Mister!

Monoborracho 01-17-07 06:44 PM

I started it?