Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Picture

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-07, 10:00 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Picture

At last the snow has melted enough to take the receintly rebuilt trail bike out for a picture and a quick ride.

This is the setup for tall people with short legs that I spoke of. 23 1/2 inch virtual top tube length on an 18 inch frame with lots of standover.

First time in a while without my own homebuilt wheels but I was changing to disc brakes and these were cheaper than I could buy material for a new set.

Took the Shimano Dual controls off (sold them) and returned to the X.9 SRAM control group. Overgeared the bike with a 26-36-48 chain ring set with a 12/26 road cassette. This bike is built for relatively mild grade rail trails, dirt roads and asphault. It is my everyday general all rounder and does most things well except travel through mud.

Last edited by maddmaxx; 03-30-08 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-11-07, 10:09 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good lookin' bike. I like your "understated" bar-ends. Unlike mine, they don't go out calling attention to themselves. I like that!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-11-07, 10:17 AM
Boomer

One handful only. just for and additional hand position or when I'm really struggling up a hill.

DG as a contest winner you have a pm
Old 03-11-07, 10:35 AM
Boomer

And DG is in fact the winner of the contest.

Thanks all the rest of you for playing.

The next time I have an unannounced contest I'll post it here........

Now can anyone tell me what settings to use to post "good" pictures here. I had to downsize this one so much to fit the forum limit that its pretty fuzzy.
Old 03-11-07, 10:37 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
And DG is in fact the winner of the contest.

Thanks all the rest of you for playing.

The next time I have an unannounced contest I'll post it here........
Woohoo!!!

I feel something like that truck driver in Georgia who won the lottery! Well, "something" like him. Thanks, MaddMaxx!!!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-11-07, 11:21 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Now for a bike for short people with short legs=5'6" with 29 inseam. 15 1/2" frame and 22" toptube but with riser bars to bring up and back. I only ride XC so 44/32/22 with 11/34 rear cassette and as I found out this morning- I need all the low gears I can get. This one does go through mud but you have to use a Mud specific tyre in 1.8 to stop the mud collecting between wheel and frame/forks. LX crankset but rest of Drive chain up to XT grade. Short stubbie bar ends are the best so apart from the disc brakes- that are not necessary on XC rides of 30+ miles can agree completely on the Bike set up.

Nice bike.

Edit-Try to get the bike up against a plain garage door- apparantly white is best- or up against a brick wall like I have. It stops the background taking MB's on the picture.Yours is 80.7kb's and mine is 41.3kb's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bianchi.jpg (41.3 KB, 35 views)

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 03-11-07 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-11-07, 11:56 AM
Boomer

Thanks for the photo tip, makes sense now that I've heard it.

I don't ride this bike exclusively cross country. Sometimes on the road between trails the are reasonably large hills. Since I ride at about 205 lbs and go down hill like a stone I've found evidence of minor melting of the tire bead on rim brake wheels. The disc's are the result of the terror of a 60 year old man blowing a tube at 45mph.

Besides, Im an equipment geek and had to have something to play with this winter.
Old 03-11-07, 02:10 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice looking bike! Great job!
Old 03-11-07, 03:28 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I don't ride this bike exclusively cross country. Sometimes on the road between trails the are reasonably large hills. Since I ride at about 205 lbs and go down hill like a stone I've found evidence of minor melting of the tire bead on rim brake wheels. The disc's are the result of the terror of a 60 year old man blowing a tube at 45mph.

Besides, Im an equipment geek and had to have something to play with this winter.
One of the advantages of discs is the lack of tyre problems and the lack of wearing out rims. I go through rims about every 18 months- by which time the hub is normally on the way out too- so I buy ready made wheels from a GOOD wheelbuilder. Now on Tandems- One of the problems is overheating tyres on Long descents and T's weigh a lot more than you. I put discs on the T as V brakes were causing a problem on extended rides. After about 65 miles- the lever pressure was beginning to hurt and we don't know if it was the pads going off or just the effort. All we have to put up with on the T is the noise once the disc's get a bit warm. They get noisy. When that happens- it doesn't bother us as the Pilot just stops braking. Makes it hairy through the corners, but stops me getting ear ache. Gearing on the Tandem is 48/36/24 and a 12/32 rear cassette. Still gives us a high enough top speed and we can get up all the hills- unless we lose grip.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-11-07, 04:39 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Now can anyone tell me what settings to use to post "good" pictures here. I had to downsize this one so much to fit the forum limit that its pretty fuzzy.
The best bet it to set up a free account at a site like Photobucket that allows you to store photos and post IMG code links. Since the actual image is on the host site, the BF limits don't apply. You can even post small thumbnails that will open large images when you click on them.
https://photobucket.com/

Old 03-12-07, 08:06 AM
Boomer

DG, your contest winnings are in the mail.
Old 03-12-07, 08:16 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Now for a bike for short people with short legs=5'6" with 29 inseam. 15 1/2" frame and 22" toptube but with riser bars to bring up and back.

Try to get the bike up against a plain garage door- apparantly white is best- or up against a brick wall like I have. It stops the background taking MB's on the picture.Yours is 80.7kb's and mine is 41.3kb's
Nice bike, stapfam, but then I am a big fan of Bianchis.

I concur with your advice regarding background, but would add that lighting is absolutely critical. A few afternoon attempts to photograph one of my bikes against my east-facing white garage door have been disasters, because of severe shadowing. I can pull up the brightness on the computer, but this creates artifacts in the background.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069