Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Impromtu Ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Impromtu Ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-07, 06:01 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Impromtu Ride

After doing a really tough 80+ miles yesterday and drinking WAY too much wine at a formal dinner last night, I headed out to abuse myself some more for a few miles. I just wanted to get the HR up a little and spin some. I didn't even take any nutrients as I just thought I would play it by ear and only ride a few miles.

As I was leaving my neighborhood one of my riding buddies flagged me down in his car and asked if he could come along. Of course I was happy for him to ride so I doubled back to his house and waited for him to change.

In about 15 mins we were on the road and as we were leaving the neighborhood we could see that about 1/4 mile ahead of us some other riding friends were just leaving on their tandem. They are husband/wife and are 50+ and are an excellent pair on the tandem.

We chased them down and then just followed along the ride they had planned. We wound up with about 50 miles and they let me stop at a store and get some peanut butter crackers as my energy level was quickly heading south. It was very windy but a terrific day to be on the bike otherwise. I was in my 53/12 going down some hills and spinning like crazy and still fell off from behind the tandem. What a rocket......

Just made me think how lucky I was to have some cycling friends close by as it was terrific having the company as the 50 miles just zipped by. They also took me on a couple roads I had not seen-and I thought I had ridden all the roads in this area!!

Any others do an impromptu ride this weekend???
Old 01-28-07, 06:17 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
That's a good way to get rid of the cobwebs. It sounded like you had a great ride. Everytime I read about gears the gears in my head start turning.Thanks I needed that.
Old 01-28-07, 06:32 PM

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Today was just that kind of day JPPE. I did an inpromptu ride when I couldn't find any of my usual riding partners (all hungover I believe). I rode into Waxhaw, and linked with a group passing through town from Rehobeth for 10 or 12 miles, then solo for a couple of hours, then another pair of riders just before getting to the house. A great ride, and never got my HR over 150.
Old 01-28-07, 07:11 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Yep....its been slow getting going again this January as the cold weather has just hung on here. We had a group of high school kids at the house all weekend and I knew I couldn't ride then so I took advantage of the good weather on Friday afternoon. I folded up the office and headed out right after noon. I did a 40 mile loop out toward Possum Kingdom lake with the first 10 miles mostly uphill into a brisk wind that masked the 65 degree weather. When I turned north for the next leg it was whoopee as I had a bit of wind in the back and 20+mph for nearly 13 miles with a couple of peaks near 30 mph. At the 25 mile point there is one small town and store so I stopped for peanut butter crackers and gatorade, then pedaled on home. This was my longest ride in quite a while, I had a pretty decent speed, and was a good workout. Worst part was that about half of the ride was on chip base asphalt. I didn't see another bike the entire time.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 01-29-07 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-28-07, 09:27 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Isn't it great when someone shows you a great new road? It's like Christmas morning.
Old 01-29-07, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does Lovey asking me to pedal on up to the bank and drop off a deposit count as impromptu? It was a little cold (30) with a 15 to 20 NW wind to help make it interesting getting there and more enjoyable on the way home. Plus I ran into another stupid dog owner. Two chows this time, they keep getting bolder. Owner is outside hooking up a trailer, hears them barking, sees them chasing me, calls them, they ignore him, and then he hollers at me - "HEY - stop spraying those dogs!" So of course I did - I was finished! A nice little 15 mile ride, good way to spend an hour on a quiet Sunday afternoon.
Old 01-29-07, 12:36 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Had a show off Riding friend that had too much energy towards the end of an organised 65 miler once. Where he got his energy from we do not know but we suggested that he P*ss off and annoy the old fogies on the Tandem ahead. That was when they were going up a long slope and he caught them easily. Then they went on the flat and he just about stayed with them for two miles. Unfortunately the flat lasted for 5 miles. You can guess the rest but 12 years ago- 7 years before I got a Tandem- I learnt from his experience that you do not even attempt to ride with a Tandem.

Impromptu rides like this have a fantastic feel to them. Not certain I would do a 50 after and 80 but sounds as though you had fun. Bit more than my ride in a 50deg temp- No rain- No sun and I only went 20 miles on a Well sheltered MUP. Only probem was the cold. Never realised that 50 degrees was so cold if you do not dress up for it. The well sheltered MUP had retained the coolness of the last few days Freezing temps.

Spike Milligan