Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Booby Traps on the Bike Path (REALLY)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-07, 06:57 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

I received this in link in an email and couldn't believe it. I grew up in the area, went to school there, and we have a few BF50+ forum friends from Lubbock. I was there two weekends ago and considered taking my MTB but did not because of a snow forecast.

This is the kind of stuff that only happens in the big city, right? Wrong !!! And it was some earth, wood and grain whacko who allegedly did this. A greenpeace movement against bicycles !! This is really scarey to think about at 20+ mph.

https://www.lubbockonline.com/stories...20207074.shtml

Last edited by Monoborracho; 02-04-07 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-04-07, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
A sick and twisted individual.
Old 02-04-07, 07:39 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Glad they caught the psycho.
There is a state forestry area near my town that is a favorite place for nature lovers, mountain bikers, hikers, trail runners, bird watchers, dog walkers etc. At one time one of the dog walkers complained to the Forestry Commission about the bike riders doing too much to clear trails, that it should be left more rugged. The Foresty guy told her that the bike riders come in, without being asked (but with permission), organize work parties, clean up trails, open new trails, report problems and generally make better conditions for all users. He said that he often has to ask other groups to pitch in a little and do a little work to keep things in good shape. As far as he was concerned the mountain bikers were the most welcome group out there. Then he told her that the only reason he allowed dogs in there was that one of the more active cyclists had talked him out of banning them as long as there were no problems. She hasn't complained since.
Old 02-04-07, 08:29 AM
wheezer geezer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are some real sickos out there. It's amazing someone wasn't killed (decapitated).
Old 02-04-07, 09:20 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by fifty5
There are some real sickos out there. It's amazing someone wasn't killed (decapitated).
My understanding is that one man did get hurt, badly, almost bleeding to death because of it.
Old 02-04-07, 09:45 AM
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is one of the scariest things I've read in a long time. Glad they caught the guy.
-- Leon Briggs
Old 02-04-07, 09:48 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Wow. That's just pitiful. Great to hear they caught the guy. His Dad probably beat him when he was a kid because he just couldn't learn how to ride a bike.........He pleads not-guilty due to parental abuse.........
Old 02-04-07, 09:57 AM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scary and sad. We have approximately 300 million people in the USA. There are bound to be some nut cases but I was hoping not on our trails.
Old 02-04-07, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by fifty5
+1 -- and, this particular sort of psycopathic idiocy is not confined to the States. We have it up here as well, in various forms: ranging from empty-eyed kids putting spiked planks across an MUP at night all the way to tree-spiking, piano-wire stringing, lab-burning self-styled 'activists' and/or 'environmentalists,' -- those who, as a result of some kind of genetic defect, presumably, were formed without the ability to perform even a basic moral calculus.
Old 02-04-07, 11:10 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Offroading and a few years ago I came round a fast corner to find Barbed wire across the trail at wheel height. Luckily some one else had found it and put a few leafy branches over it so it was spotted before we hit it. We tried to take the wire down but it was well and truly nailed into position. Then on my big ride last year- A farmer had cut trenches across the trail on a fast downhill. To slow the mad brain cyclists down that were a danger to other trail users- So he said. He found out how dangerous Cyclists can be when 6 of them confronted him at his farm and brought a successful prosecution against him for Blocking a bridleway. He got a $200 fine and a notice to correct the trail. The trenches are still there a year later.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-04-07, 11:19 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I especially glad that the news media in general didn't pick up on that, giving inspiration to others who are 3 spokes shy of a wheel.
Old 02-04-07, 11:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I especially glad that the news media in general didn't pick up on that, giving inspiration to others who are 3 spokes shy of a wheel.
+1
Old 02-04-07, 11:37 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I don't understand how they can claim to value nature so much, and have such disregard for a human life. Protesting against bikes on trails is one thing, risking a life is another. Guess such an individual is too stupid or too lazy to follow procedures if they disagree with land usage, lots easier to maim and cripple those with whom he disagrees. That type of thing should tick off anyone and everyone who reads it. Hope they try him for attempted murder.
Old 02-04-07, 11:54 AM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
My thoughts exactly.

Steve
Old 02-04-07, 12:08 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
As an avid off-roader, I am very concerned with this kind of lunacy. Apparently, some naturalists and preservationists do not understand that the mountain biker is their freind. All the mtb'rs I know are careful to leave wildlife alone, not disturb the environment beyond maintaining the trail and respect nature. That's why we ride single track. If we simply wanted to avoid cars, there are excellent MUPS to ride that offer way less risk and are much easier to traverse.
I guess some eco groups feel that public land is theirs alone to enjoy the way they want and are willing to perform criminal acts, at the felony level, to intimidate others in order to achieve their goal.
Old 02-04-07, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
the guy 'just loves nature'? He'll have very little of it in prison. bk
Old 02-05-07, 10:37 AM

Bikes: Trek 7000, Trek T-900 Tandem, wife has a Navigator 300. We also have a '74 Schwinn Tandem we courted and got married on.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eco-Terrorism.

Environmental terrorism is not about the environment, it's a about terrorism.

This person was not trying to protect the environment, he just needed an excuse to live out a sick fantasy.

If you read the entire article, and do the math, you'll find that at worst he'll do about 9 years, max, if convicted on all counts. So he'll be back out there doing it again before I'm too old to ride. With a good lawyer, he might do a lot less. This is why we have so much of this going on- no deterent.

I used to think the peaceful, quiet solitude of our local rail trail was immune from anything more serious than a feral dog or occassional bear, and rode accordingly. Unfortunately I found some rather crude sexually explicit messages posted on a bullitin board, and a friend was accosted by someone in the same area last summer. So now in addition to the dog spray on the handlebars I am burdened with some other types of protection on my long rides there. Thankfully Virginia now allows CCW permits to carry in state parks now.

Unfortunate in the extreme, but to do otherwise would be unwise.
Old 02-05-07, 06:19 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by ramius
Environmental terrorism is not about the environment, it's a about terrorism.

This person was not trying to protect the environment, he just needed an excuse to live out a sick fantasy. ...
I concur.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-06-07, 07:55 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by freeranger
I don't understand how they can claim to value nature so much, and have such disregard for a human life. Protesting against bikes on trails is one thing, risking a life is another. Guess such an individual is too stupid or too lazy to follow procedures if they disagree with land usage, lots easier to maim and cripple those with whom he disagrees. That type of thing should tick off anyone and everyone who reads it. Hope they try him for attempted murder.

What is critical for most animals is habitat. As long as they have an appropriate habitat, they can often tolerate a fair amount of human activity in the area as long as they people do not actively molest the animals.

Actually, having recreational trails and bike trails through local wildlife habitat gives a certain protection to the habitat. You have a bunch of people who have a vest interest in the preservation of the habitat and that benefits the animals that use it.

This individual's zeal seems to far outstrip their knowledge of animal conservation.
Old 02-06-07, 08:17 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
There is a beautiful paved bike path in my area. The nicest one in the state. There are some places where it is very dark and not visible from a street. The kids make all kinds of booby traps, even though it is patrolled by the police. They hope to get someone riding without a good headlight. And they do get them. I know one of the victims.

Huge boulders in the path.
Broken bottles spread carfully across the path and the grass on both sides.
Logs.

The worst one was a small garden fence across the path, then a mound of dirt across the path, then a few big logs. Then a huge field of rocks bigger than baseballs. Finally a lot of broken glass. One right after another in the same location.

So I stop with a friend and we are moving some of the stuff and another cyclist comes along and complains to me about my bright headlight. He did not have any light.
Old 02-21-07, 08:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trail terrorist

Just to let everyone know. Our trail terroist in Lubbock went before the Grand Jury on Feb. 21, 2007 and was indicted on two accounts of attempted aggravated assault. Since his capture our trails have been clear if hazards!
Old 02-21-07, 09:13 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Warlord
Just to let everyone know. Our trail terroist in Lubbock went before the Grand Jury on Feb. 21, 2007 and was indicted on two accounts of attempted aggravated assault. Since his capture our trails have been clear if hazards!
Do you know anything about the sentencing?
Old 02-21-07, 01:10 PM
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Do you know anything about the sentencing?
Indictment first. Then trial. Sentencing later.
Old 11-09-07, 11:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We got our ecoterroist to plead no contest to the charges. He was sentenced to 3 years probation and 600 hours of community service.
Old 11-09-07, 11:14 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Sad, that this is the sentence. Stringing wires across a MT bike trail is attempted murder. Seems to me that the US has become do divided politically that folks are feeling like their view of "nature" ( or the war in Iraq, or the Attorney General or u pick 'em issue) is the only correct view. Tolerance and compromise seem to be fading to a distant memory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.