Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

opinions on Gary Fisher bikes?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-07, 09:38 PM
all you need is love

Bikes: a 24-speed San Rafael by Marin. a 6-speed Huffy beach cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. Newer than new here, though I've been reading some. For about a year and almost a half, I've been riding a goofy 6-speed Huffy beach cruiser. But I'm doing 10 to 20 miles a day now and am ready for a real bike. I've ridden several brands.

I'm considering a Gary Fisher. Opinions?

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-08-07, 10:00 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Fisher makes good bikes as do many other companies. At a given price level there is generally not much if any difference in quality between the major manufacturers. What kind of bike are you looking for? What do you want to do on the bike? How much are you able/willing to spend?
Old 02-08-07, 10:01 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What kind of Gary Fisher bike? They make several lines.

Many of their bikes are extremely similar to Trek bikes, as Trek has owned GF for several years. I believe some of their mountain bikes are less like Trek than say their hybrid bikes.
Old 02-08-07, 10:19 PM
all you need is love

Bikes: a 24-speed San Rafael by Marin. a 6-speed Huffy beach cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so many things to consider!

I'm looking at hybrids. I rode the Zebrano and the Nirvana Gary Fisher and although I thought I liked the Zebrano better, I let myself be talked into the Nirvana, because I could get it in blue and the Zebrano was only in red. What a girl reason, now that I type it out loud.

Speaking of girl reasons, I didn't like the way the Trek 7200 women's frame looked.

I ride mostly for fun and exercise. I like to do at least 16 miles of a ride and am planning to begin to increase my mileage now that the days are getting lighter later again. I am considering doing a 50 mile ride in April, so I want to start working up to that.

As far as cost, I don't need the highest priced model with lots of bells and whistles, but I want something decent. I probably don't need to spend more than $800 at most. The GF I looked at was around $500. I also rode Giant, Jamis, Raleigh and Trek. The GF just seemed to feel most comfortable.
Old 02-08-07, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jamis is my choice from you list of brands. When you say the GF was more comfortable, due to correct frame size or what? Good luck.
Old 02-08-07, 10:41 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Is there a particular reason you are looking at bikes with front suspension? You seem to be planning on building up to fairly long rides. Many people find suspension to be a drawback once you get beyond the bike path and short ride level. The Fisher Monona looks like a nice fitness bike. Have you looked at anything along those lines?
Old 02-08-07, 11:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well... as a matter of fact, it's in my "name": Sai KaiTai - I own a Gary Fisher Kaitai Hybrid.
I compared it against a similarly priced Cannondale and overall liked the build and the feel of the Fisher.
Mine has a front suspension and it does lock down. Still not a solid fork but it's pretty good. Keep in mind, I am not a distance rider, 20 miles being the most I've done. It's a good road bike (I swapped the knobbies out for some Crossroaders) and it's a good *off-road* bike (as opposed to a MTB, proper)... it's good a both, it's not great at either. For me, that was exactly what I wanted. After 1200 miles, I still love it. No complaints at all.
Old 02-08-07, 11:39 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Jamis bikes in that price range have lower quality components than most other lines. While Jamis makes a lot of very nice bikes, their lower end hybrid line isn't that good. A well-respected authorized Jamis bike store, that I've frequented a few times, won't even carry them - they told me that they could not recommend them in good faith.

I can understand your reluctance on the Trek 7200 & 7300 WSD bikes. Very cutesy. When I spoke to sales reps in a Trek company store, they told me that a lot of women don't like those bikes. You would probably like the 7.2 FX WSD better.

The Gary Fisher Nirvana and Zebrano are the same bikes, using the same frame, except that the Nirvana has a few component upgrades. I definitely like the Nirvana better (and I've ridden both). For one thing the Nirvana has a lockout option on the suspension fork - so if you are riding hard on pavement you can lock up the fork to stop any energy loss from it. The rear derailleur is upgraded from Shimano Alivio to Deore, which is a a nice step up. It also has a better crankset and better brakes. Worth the extra $80 in my opinion.

If you want to try out a faster, lighter fitness bike, I agree with BluesDawg that the Monona is the one to check out. A bit more than even the Nirvana, but again you lose a lot if you drop down to the Wingra. (These names come from lakes around Madison, I ride around Lake Wingra and Lake Monona on warm days.) Not everyone is comfortable on the fitness series, but many are fine on them. I test rode a Trek 7.5 FX and it was much faster & more responsive than the GF Zebrano. But I wasn't as comfortable.

If you are willing to go up to $800, then you could check the 7.5 FX WSD and the Monona, just to complete your survey. Look for a 2006 one, you might save $100.

Some of the Raleighs are fine too. But if you tried them and didn't like them as well, then there is no reason to dwell on them.

I think you are on the right track and are trying out some good bikes. I took at least 30 test rides, from at least 9 or 10 bike stores, when I was trying to narrow down what I liked best.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 02-09-07 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-09-07, 02:09 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Is there a particular reason you are looking at bikes with front suspension? You seem to be planning on building up to fairly long rides. Many people find suspension to be a drawback once you get beyond the bike path and short ride level. The Fisher Monona looks like a nice fitness bike. Have you looked at anything along those lines?
Have to agree. Suspension takes energy from the pedalling power and unless you are on rough trails or very bad roads- it will detract from the ride. Plus riding rigid is Macho. Contrary to belief- Suspension on roads or smooth trails does not help.

There are plenty of manufacturers out there that are good. Fary Fisher may not be the choice of many people but it is a respectable bike. If you have tried a few, and the GF suits you then no problem. You may not have liked the look of the Womans Trek, But sit on it- try it- and think about. Same with any other bike that is suggested to you. You may like the Gary Fisher at present- but keep looking and one bike will grab your attention on looks- colour- and more important- How it fits. Most of here will tell you that Fit is the important thing so bear that in mind. If it don't feel PERFECT- Don't buy it.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-09-07, 04:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blues on a bike
Hi. Newer than new here, though I've been reading some. For about a year and almost a half, I've been riding a goofy 6-speed Huffy beach cruiser. But I'm doing 10 to 20 miles a day now and am ready for a real bike. I've ridden several brands.

I'm considering a Gary Fisher. Opinions?

Thanks for any help.
BOAB,

There's nothing goofy or embarrasing about a cruiser bike! And if you can do 20 miles on it, all the more reason to think of it as a "real bike." I'm all for you exploring new and better bikes, but be patient, think of it as an educational process, and wait until you find exactly what you're looking for before buying.
Old 02-09-07, 05:07 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by blues on a bike
I let myself be talked into the Nirvana, because I could get it in blue and the Zebrano was only in red. What a girl reason, now that I type it out loud.
So, a year from now, how are you going to feel if everytime you get onto your bicycle you think to yourself: "I wish I would have gotten the color that I really wanted."? Don't deny the artistic side of your brain.

One other thing. If you're happy with the service that you've received so far from the dealer, that's a biggie because you'll be going back and dealing with them from time-to-time. Buy a brand and model that they stock and you'll never go wrong.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 02-09-07 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-09-07, 06:21 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
BOAB,

There's nothing goofy or embarrasing about a cruiser bike! And if you can do 20 miles on it, all the more reason to think of it as a "real bike." I'm all for you exploring new and better bikes, but be patient, think of it as an educational process, and wait until you find exactly what you're looking for before buying.
Is there anything about riding on your current bike that you don't like? Maybe just a new saddle or adjustment in the handlebars could make your current bike perfect for your current use. IMO, Wait until you know what it is you really want in a bicycle before dumping one that is currently serving you well.

Big Paulie is right, don't let yourself be talked by others (or yourself) into a new Real Bike that may not provide any more fun/pleasure than you are already enjoying with your current Real Fun Bike.
Old 02-09-07, 08:22 AM
The good looking one

Bikes: gary fisher, Schwinn Woodland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Gary Fisher Nirvana, 2005 model, no front shock one.
Use it for communting, since I got it new, haven't had the first
bit of trouble, with it. Did replace the shock, seat post. Didn't
like the bounce up and down, but it is kind to old butts. Have
just did the maintance, and it never let me down. The only
thing I don't kind of, like is the rubber cups that, fit over
the cone nut, that adds a little drag. But other than that
I would buy another one, or a used one if I could find one.
But like someelse said, Trek is about the same, and, there's
other bikes out there too. But if the color, is your thing, go
for it.
Old 02-09-07, 09:57 AM

Bikes: RANS Dynamik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Is there anything about riding on your current bike that you don't like? Maybe just a new saddle or adjustment in the handlebars could make your current bike perfect for your current use. IMO, Wait until you know what it is you really want in a bicycle before dumping one that is currently serving you well.

Big Paulie is right, don't let yourself be talked by others (or yourself) into a new Real Bike that may not provide any more fun/pleasure than you are already enjoying with your current Real Fun Bike.
I can only add that I agree with ILTB and BP on this. Ride what ever bike that gets you to ride! Buy what you want, `ride it like you stole it` - and you can always buy another one later. Ask anybody here how many bikes they own...

As an aside, the Gary Fisher bikes are made by Trek... as if that makes any difference.

Last edited by I_Bike; 02-09-07 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-09-07, 11:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I_Bike
As an aside, the Gary Fisher bikes are made by Trek... as if that makes any difference.
Though Gary Fisher is still very much involved with the line.

Last edited by I_Bike; 02-09-07 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-09-07, 11:26 AM
just keep riding

Ride what ever bike that gets you to ride! Buy what you want, `ride it like you stole it` - and you can always buy another one later. Ask anybody here how many bikes they own...
Couldn't agree more. We are just discussing various types of bikes and different options for different needs. There are a lot of different right answers. Any bike you enjoy riding is the right bike.
And please don't ask me how many bikes I have. I can't keep up with them all.
Old 02-09-07, 11:46 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Though Gary Fisher is still very much involved with the line.
The GF and Trek hybrids are VERY similiar. The mountain bikes differ.

Take a look at these two. It looks to me that pretty much all they do is mix the components around a bit.

https://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bik...h&bike=Nirvana

https://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1324600&f=27

Of these two, the GF Nirvana has many of the same parts, and perhaps the same frame, but with a couple of upgrades for an extra $50. If you want basically the same bike with another bump up on components, just go to the Trek 7500:

https://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1340600&f=27

I happen to like the 7500 a lot.

I ended up purchasing a used 7600, which is another bump up.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-09-07, 11:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=
If you are willing to go up to $800, then you could check the 7.5 FX WSD and the Monona, just to complete your survey. Look for a 2006 one, you might save $100.[/QUOTE]

+1
Old 02-09-07, 11:48 AM

Bikes: RANS Dynamik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
And please don't ask me how many bikes I have. I can't keep up with them all.
My wife sure can!
Old 02-09-07, 12:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
`ride it like you stole it` -
Which is not an endorsement of stealing your next bike, BOAB, just a metaphor for riding the cr#p out if it!

We had a newbie a while back, a nice chap from down in San Diego, who was given the same advice, and he took it literally! He's now "doing a dime" up at Attica...but he's still posting away, so all was not lost!
Old 02-09-07, 12:35 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let me voice a comment or two about the front shock (and related) issue.

If you are going to ride aggressively on paved roads, you don't need one. The up & down motion in the shock will rob energy from your pedaling and it adds a couple of pounds to the bike. And as you are on pavement, the shock won't be doing much to smooth the ride.

If you are riding on pavement in a more leisurely fashion, the energy absorption of the shock becomes largely moot. It still adds some weight, but if you bounce over the occasionally railroad track, pothole, or broken pavement at street corners, it does smooth out those bumps.

If you occasionally ride on non-paved bike paths, it does take some of the vibration off of your hands.

As these forums are populated by a lot of serious cyclists, which is to be expected, you won't find many recommending a suspension fork except if you are going to ride off-road. However if you ride for recreation, maintain a speed of around 10-14 mph, don't "hammer down" a lot, and enjoy a smooth ride that doesn't jar you around a lot, then a suspension fork and seat may be the just the thing to make riding more enjoyable. Most hybrids sell with suspension because most of the people buying them are valuing comfort over performance.

The "fitness" hybrids, like the Trek FX series and GF Monona, are on the performance end of the hybrid scale, blending more elements of a road bike into a hybrid frame. One of those elements is a light, rigid fork instead of a suspension fork. Another one is disposing of the adjustable handlebar stem of the hybrid - which is there to enable a comfortable adjustment, but it weighs much more than a fixed stem. You have to decide if the fixed fork and fixed stem still leaves you with adequate comfort. A fitness hybrid will generally have thinner tires too ... lighter with less road friction for better performance, but also providing less shock absorption.
Old 02-09-07, 02:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I look at it this way... I hadn't ridden a bike in 20+ years until I tried out the Kaitai. What did I know?
If I had it to do all over again now, would I do the same? Dunno. But I do love riding this bike. I don't -yet- consider myself a "serious" rider, however that might be defined. At some point, I wouldn't mind getting a road bike but I wouldn't take it some of the places I take my Kaitai
Old 02-09-07, 02:44 PM
just keep riding

The only reason I brought up the front suspension question is because the OP, blues on a bike, said that she was already riding about 20 miles and had plans to increase from there. As a ride leader in my bicycling club I have known several people who started with the suspended bikes but moved on to something different when they started doing longer paved road rides more often. I know others who are not interested in longer rides or who ride on dirt roads who are very happy with their suspended hybrids.
The other factor we don't really know about is where she plans to ride. Smooth pavement? Dirt roads? Something in between?
The best thing about these kinds of discussions is having a reason to learn about different types of bikes beyond what I might want for my own use.
Old 02-09-07, 03:06 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BD, I thought it was fine to bring up the suspension issue. It's very relevant. Something that someone purchasing a new bike should think about. That's why I made points on both sides of the issue in my last post, as well as mentioning surfaces.

I almost never get involved in discussions of road or mountain bikes. I have only a smattering of knowledge on the fine points of those bikes. But hybrids I know about. Researched almost all of them for months. Test rode close to 30 of them. Found my comfort zone by testing bikes all across the hybrid spectrum, from those that were too tipped in favor of comfort for my needs to those that were too oriented toward performance.

But obviously I cannot know where anyone else's preferences fall along that spectrum. I can only pass along what I learned and hope that it helps someone else sort things out.

The 'distance on a particular type of bike' issue yields different answers for different people too. For example, I hope to do a 40 miler on my Trek hybrid this summer. Many people would want a road bike, or at least a performance/fitness hybrid, to do that distance. I can understand that. They would be faster and thus cover the 40 miles in less time. But for me, after about 15 minutes I am so uncomfortable on road bikes - and fitness hybrids - that I am wanting to get off. Trying to do 40 miles on one of those things would be torture for me.

It will take longer for me to ride the 40 miles on my hybrid, but as I find it far more comfortable, the probability of me completing the ride is much higher. I'm sure others would be cursing the weight and suspension fork and upright riding position. To each their own ... an adage that I am sure you agree with.
Old 02-09-07, 03:11 PM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
I had a Fisher as an introductory bike. I really liked everything about it. Unfortunately, the bike shop let me buy one too small.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.