Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

This stuff does get in your blood

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lousy weather last week... I didn't get to ride at all during the week having, instead, to fall back on the ol' trainer. This weekend I had 2 gigs and it rained pretty much alll day Saturday. I didn't get my Saturday ride -which I'm discovering is very important to me- a Sunday ride or any trainer time at all. I am not very happy today and am positively chomping at the bit. I'm hoping to get 11 or 12 miles in tonight. Please?
Old 02-12-07, 05:51 PM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did get to ride Sat (12 miles) and Sun (8 miles), but it was only upper 30's, that is alittle cold for me, but I know exactly what you mean about getting cranky if I'm not getting to ride. My husband really shoves me out the door every now and then also! Better for both of us!
Old 02-12-07, 06:17 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hear ya, SaiKaiTai. A week ago Sunday, I didn't dress right for a very cold, windy ride. I guess I never warmed up properly because my knee ended up feeling creaky. I've been babying it along, not even riding the trainer until last night--30 easy minutes. Now I'm just about good to go--but feeling cranky, especially knowing a big winter storm is about to hit tonight. Be gone, February.
Old 02-12-07, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shun the trainer and ride outdoors, unless you live in Nome or somewhere. I HATE the trainer and stationary bikes, but here in Reno our daytime temps are generally above 20 degrees, and there's no reason other than ice on the pavement not to ride. I did about 25 miles last weekend in 30-degree weather, and I must have passed (by which I mean "seen;" I didn't pass anybody) 30 or 35 cyclists. A base layer, light insulation and windproof shell will keep you warm at that temperature if you're active, and I've ridden fairly comfortably down into the teens with a balaclava (keeping the body warm is easy, and sometimes I use platform pedals and boots on my feet. It's the exposed skin that's tough). Check www.icebike.com for inspiration and guidance.
Old 02-12-07, 06:58 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Today is our 16th consecutive day of being 22 or lower, most of those days were much lower, with most having wind chills between +5 to -20. Next three are also predicted to be in the teens, with wind.

Next week we are expected to be in the high 30's to 40. Can't wait.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-12-07, 07:00 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Miyata, Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya know, you guys have put me to shame. Here in Tejas, I won't ride below 45, and most club members use about 50 as a benchmark. I need an attitude adjustment since I refuse to buy a trainer and have not ridden many days this year because of the "COLD". I guess I just need to buy more proper clothing. Its real easy on how to dress when it is the 90s!!
Old 02-12-07, 07:47 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I second the notion that riding in the cold can be comfortable. You just have to dress for it. You're going to sweat even when the temps are in the 20's so the key is to keep the wind from cutting through to the skin and have layers that wick the moisture away.

You're not going to be as fast in colder temps and it's more laboring to ride...... but good gosh, you're outdoors, the air is crisp and after the blood gets going it feels terrific. I haven't found a better way to clear the sinuses either!!

I found some nice toe warmers in the hunting section of Wally world that adhere to the tops of my socks over my toes and they do a fantastic job with keeping the toes warm. The first few minutes can be a little chilly but after that it is very comfortable.
Old 02-12-07, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
If the trip is not too long, riding in the cold is warmer than driving in the cold, because your body will warm up a lot faster than the car's heater will.

Paul
Old 02-12-07, 08:15 PM
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sunday was very nice in the Bay Area, at least south of Hwy 92. Rode about 50 miles, up Kings, Skyline to 84, and back home.
Old 02-12-07, 08:20 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I've lowered my cold riding limit a bit this year by finally getting some proper gear, but I still won't go out below 40. Fortunately that limit doesn't eliminate too many days around here. I got in a good road ride Saturday morning (45-55) and about an hour of hard mountain biking Sunday (60).
Today I rushed home from work to get in a short, fast ride to take advantage of the 68 degree weather. Colder air and rain are on the way the rest of the week, so it's back to the trainer.
Old 02-12-07, 08:27 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Halfast
Here in Tejas, I won't ride below 45, and most club members use about 50 as a benchmark.

Whaaaaat? You've not been taking advantage of this chilly weather to store up enough COLD to last through July?
Old 02-12-07, 08:33 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Lousy weather last week... I didn't get to ride at all during the week having, instead, to fall back on the ol' trainer. This weekend I had 2 gigs and it rained pretty much alll day Saturday. I didn't get my Saturday ride -which I'm discovering is very important to me- a Sunday ride or any trainer time at all. I am not very happy today and am positively chomping at the bit. I'm hoping to get 11 or 12 miles in tonight. Please?
It's a great addiction, isn't it?
Old 02-12-07, 11:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A great addiction? I can sure think of worse. I've *had* worse. There's something about being in the saddle that really satisfies some deep part of me. Of course, I knew that... that's why I picked cycling as the way I was going to get back into some kinda shape. My 2-wheeled memories are ALL good ones (except when I made my wife dump. that's not a good memory)

And, I cannot stress this enough: I have no problem with the cold. I grew up in Pacifica, OK?
When temps here dropped into the low 40's and upper 30's (yes, that's cold. sorry), I was out riding. An happy about it. No, it's the wet I can't abide. If there's a chance I'm gonna get caught out in it.... well, I won't get caught out in it. Maybe it was that bout of pneumonia when I was 21, I don't know. Better clothes would help and I've been thinking about getting some rain pants. What do you do about your shoes, though?

As for the trainer, I ride it in the garage with the garage door open and the garage light out. I get the air, some wind... the only light is from the street light across the way and the passing cars (which I live for. A passing car makes me almost feel like I'm out in it). That, and the trainer is still helping me get back into shape and when the spring comes I will be ready. Oh yes, I will...
Old 02-13-07, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what you mean. I missed out this weekend too because of painting at Lovey's store and other highly important tasks that keep me from getting kicked out on my rear. Now it's cold and rainy again, but if it stops this afternoon, I'm going out for a bit no matter the weather. Windy weather predicted with the cold front that is nearly here, but still....

I wonder about the shoes thing too. I have a good gore tex rain suit from my waterfowling days, but the shoes? The shoes????
Old 02-13-07, 08:05 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrierman
I wonder about the shoes thing too. I have a good gore tex rain suit from my waterfowling days, but the shoes? The shoes????
Maybe have a look here: https://www.rei.com/category/40004218.htm

I hear these things actually work to keep your feet dry: https://www.rei.com/product/678045

I have no actual experience with this stuff and, of course, there are other suppliers.
Old 02-13-07, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
High top Totes neoprene overshoes and platform pedals.

Paul
Old 02-13-07, 09:37 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Well, if the temperature ever drops below 62 here, I don't know if I will be able to stand it - or if it gets above 85 F. We just are well suited for extremes you see.
Old 02-13-07, 10:55 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If I did not ride when the temp went near freezing- or if it is raining- or the winds a bit high- Then I would not ride that often. Obviously sense gets the better of me occasionally and I miss aride but not often.

You have to have the right clothing and I think I have that now. This winter I got two new items- a ski mask and waterproof socks. The Ski mask I have only worn 3 times but it has been in the back pocket on a few other rides. The waterproof socks though-Every ride except one when I washed them and did not turn them inside out and they stayed wet. They are fantastic. If I can keep my feet dry- they will stay warm.

Now all I have to do is get the right clothing for the 90 deg rides in high humidity that does not give me sunburn.

Spike Milligan