Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Spinning class--does this happen to anyone else?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-07, 09:22 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 748 Posts

A little background: I'm 60 yrs. old and had a 7 yr. layoff from cycling until last year. I did spinning classes last winter about 3x wk. and am doing them this year too. I've found that I get stronger as the class goes on. I also have to increase resistance and rpm's periodically. And, I recover very quickly. But, I can't seem to lose weight and remain about 10-15 lbs. over my best cycling weight. And, using last season as a guide, as soon as I hit the road and encounter hills I am as slow as anyone out there. Any insights as to why or training tips? TIA.
Old 02-13-07, 09:55 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 842 Posts
Those last 10 lbs / 5 kg of excess fat are often the hardest to lose. According to body weight set-point theory, building some upper body muscle mass may help you lose some belly fat, but you'll still have as much weight to push up hills.

I know this sounds simplistic, but examine your caloric balance, and try to eat fewer per day whilst burning more per day. I don't know any other solution. What worked best for me was a low-fat, liberalized version of the Pritikin diet, modified to include tofu, olive oil, and other sources of "good" fats.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-13-07, 10:02 AM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spinning three times/week will help you maintain somewhat of a base, but it depends upon how hard you push yourself. It sounds like you are pushing yourself if you feel that you are getting stronger. As has been pointed out on this forum many times, nothing improves climbing like, well, climbing. Dropping 10 or 15 lbs will certainly help a lot, too.

How much do you ride? I find if I don't ride 150 miles minimum per week, my (leftover winter) weight stays about the same, and I usually pick up about 5 lbs in the "off season" when I only ride what the weather will allow and attend spinning classes. After training for and doing a couple century rides I have a hard time keeping weight on! But, I'm one of those guys who can easily drop weight.

I guess the easy answer to dropping pounds is ride more, consume fewer calories. The climbing will come with practice and weight loss.
Old 02-13-07, 10:04 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The spinning class I take is taught at a university, and I am, by far, the oldest person there. It's 60 minutes of almost pure heart-pounding hell. I can only do one class per week without it actually decreasing my overall performance I find long moderate weekend rides and three miles of easy jogging a couple of times a week to be a good counterpoint to the intensity of the spin classes. Bascially, what I'm saying is you may need more recovery time and maybe alternative activities.

In addition, as has been stated many times: The best way to get better at riding hills is to practice riding hills. It may take you awhile to see results, but keep at it. (Just don't beat your body up too badly).

As far as losing weight, for some reason the magic formula for me is weight training. That may sound counter intuitive, since muscle weighs more than fat, but I don't push big weights and don't bulk up. Rather I do a couple of sets of 15 reps. I'm told that the added muscle is constantly burning additional calories. Seems true.

Also, I'm on a semi-vegetarian diet. Lots of fruits, veggies, fish a couple of times a week. Very limited red meat and cheese. And yes, I'd still like to lose 8 to 10 pounds.

Last edited by Jet Travis; 02-13-07 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-13-07, 10:27 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To politely coincide with Bruce 19's inquiry about insights about spinner training tips: How may we find out more about spinning classes? I have no experience with spinning classes, and no experience with at home-trainers to mount a bike on, and honestly do not know anything about either.

What are the differences between a spinning class regimen and a home trainer regimen, and could one engage in both activities in the winter ... or is it more practical to focus on just one exercise regimen?

PS: Southeast Michigan under winter storm warning...8 inches snow projected to fall from now until tomorrow morning. Good spinning class weather?
Old 02-13-07, 10:28 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Wait a minute! Is that something that I wrote? - Nope, age is wrong.

Yup. That definitely happens to somebody else pretty much exactly in the way that you posted.
Old 02-13-07, 10:31 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad
What are the differences between a spinning class regimen and a home trainer regimen?
Riding a home trainer is boreing. Spinning class - there are girls to watch.
Old 02-13-07, 10:38 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad
To politely coincide with Bruce 19's inquiry about insights about spinner training tips: How may we find out more about spinning classes? I have no experience with spinning classes, and no experience with at home-trainers to mount a bike on, and honestly do not know anything about either.

What are the differences between a spinning class regimen and a home trainer regimen, and could one engage in both activities in the winter ... or is it more practical to focus on just one exercise regimen?

PS: Southeast Michigan under winter storm warning...8 inches snow projected to fall from now until tomorrow morning. Good spinning class weather?
I should think your local Gym is the best place to find out about Sprinning classes. At a spinning class- you will normally do it with others so count it as group therapy. All of you nutters wondering "What am I doing here"? At least by going to a spinning class you will learn a seqence of pedalling that will give you a good workout. I find that a home trainer, I sit on it and 5 minutes later I can't be bothered to do any more. At the gym you are pressurised, if that is the right word, to actually put some effort in and work. As to whether it helps on the fitness stakes- I have an open mind. I do at some point feel as though my legs are about to burst and the lungs have gone past their best and as for Heart rate- I just wish I could see those levels on the bike.

For actual ride training and fitness- I do not think Spinning classes are the ultimate- but for getting me working again, after a lazy spell, They are great. I still feel that I can exercise better on a ride though and if I want to lose a bit of weight- I Either do an extra 20 miles- or cut down to one slice of pie on the ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-13-07, 10:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drop 10 - 15 pounds. There is only one way to do this - consume less calories than you burn.
Old 02-13-07, 10:50 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Riding a home trainer is boreing. Spinning class - there are girls to watch.
True that. It does mitigate the pain. A little.
Old 02-13-07, 11:06 AM

It is a little weird being in a spinning class at age 60 with good looking women of all ages and finding that you're thinking like a 20 yr. old. DUDE! (as us young folks say.). I've never owned a trainer and only been on one once. I've always ridden rollers just because I knew it would force me to pedal smoothly. As for weight training, I'm usually good for 3-4 x wk. Really I just started doing this consistently for the past 2 wks but as others have suggested, I think it's one of the keys. I currently do 3 sets of 10 reps each on all my excercises. I'm doing 70-80 lb curls (machine), 150 lb. leg presses (machine), 150 lb. pull downs for my forearms (machine), 60 lb. leg curls, and 330 lb. calf raises (machine). These are all machine weights and I've never been into weight training so I don't really know if this is reasonable for my age.

I should mention that last year I established a 25 mi. route that included some 1/2 - 3/4 mi. hills. Beautiful ride in eastern CT. I started that season doing that route in the low 14 mph. range and finished the season in the high 17 mph range. Did about 3K mi. last year. I think, given the spinning, I was expecting that my early season rides would be better than they were. Then again spinning is not riding on the road. A lesson learned.

Last edited by bruce19; 02-13-07 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-13-07, 11:14 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried spinning classes for about two months. For me, it was a No Go. I submit that it may not have been long enough, but, I came away believing that if you want 'all the nutrients, you have to eat the whole thing.' In other words, I feel I progress best when I'm outside on the bike, makin' tracks, breathing cold, fresh air, taking the hills as they come. Yes, the last several pounds does want to stick, that's for sure. I've lost 50lbs so far. However, my extra weight doesn't seem to leave me at a great dis-advantage as I usually pound the hills pretty good - at least as I compare myself to most of the other riders I ride with or casually encounter. Truly, I'm not chasing anyone or participating in a One Man Race. It's just my own level of fitness under the extra weight.

So, I'm of the theory that: What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Plus, I agree with the others: consume less cals than you burn - something I refuse to do with any kind of seriousness, since I'm in such fantastic cardio-shape. I'm a true omnivore, big and husky, like an old Griz - although you won't find me turning over rotten logs to get at the grubs...

The girls all had facial hair...
Old 02-13-07, 11:17 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I can't lose weight biking the 200-250 miles I do each week, if I eat less I can't bike with the kind of power I like. I can do it in a gym or by running but I have to workout an hour and a half each day and be dieting to the extreme. I have a lot of envy for people like my best friend who just cuts back on carbs a bit and the weight drops off. I have to work like a dog and eat like a bird to lose weight.

Some people have metabolisms that make the process easy, I don't. But not everybody is as good looking as me so I guess it all evens out in the end.
Old 02-13-07, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by gear
Some people have metabolisms that make the process easy, I don't. But not everybody is as good looking as me so I guess it all evens out in the end.

This is a theory I could love. Brad Pitt move over.
Old 02-13-07, 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=gear] I have a lot of envy for people like my best friend who just cuts back on carbs a bit and the weight drops off. QUOTE]

Yeah, I used to do that all the time. But, now my 5'10", 175lb. college football body has become a 5'9", 190 lb. middle aged body. What the hell happened?
Old 02-13-07, 11:40 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
In spinning class I found myself standing a whole lot more than when bicycling. I used muscles that i rarely used while cycling. The instructor (a friend who also bicycles) agreed.

Also, it was a bit disheartening to be puffing and sweating while the regular 50-60 yo ladies (yes, there were a bunch of them) did all the routines without mussing their hair or taking an extra breath!
Old 02-13-07, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
If this has already been addressed, I apologize for repeating it. My experience with spinning class is that my heart rate tends to stay abouve the level needed for best weight loss. It's important to remember that training at a lower level actually burns fat better than at too high a level. The LSD rule really does apply here (BTW, its long steady distance not long slow distance). From personal experience I know that I lost weight quicker when riding two or more hours at about 60% of max. When I hammer, I consume the immediate fuel my body has available, and find that I'm really, really hungry. With LSD, my hunger seems to be less and I'm burning more stored fat.
Old 02-13-07, 12:52 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Santana Sovereign (2021)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First of all, I find spin classes to be rather addicting - I can't take 45 minutes on a treadmill or elliptical trainer, but I go to spin class 3-5 times per week. I'm amazed at how many people show up for a 5:30 AM class. But all in all I'd rather be outside - when the weather is nice, which is from June - September here in Wisconsin.

Interesting point about HR and fat burning - however, for a given amount of time exercising, you should burn more calories - and fat, by exercising at a higher intensity. I know I've read this in the context of running vs walking. I do get very hungry after an intense workout - if I could just refrain from the cookies, ice cream (and pie, of course) maybe I could lose those extra 30 punds.
Old 02-13-07, 12:58 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by richjac
Interesting point about HR and fat burning - however, for a given amount of time exercising, you should burn more calories - and fat, by exercising at a higher intensity. I know I've read this in the context of running vs walking. I do get very hungry after an intense workout - if I could just refrain from the cookies, ice cream (and pie, of course) maybe I could lose those extra 30 punds.
This is a common misconception.

Actually, you burn a higher percentage of "fat calories" at a lower rate, but you burn more fat calories at a higher rate. Your percentage goes down, but you still burn more calories. This whole idea was promoted by those aerobic machines which use the "fat burning zone" as a marketing ploy, to make folks feel they are accomplishing something, when they are really accomplishing just a bit.

I think I have a reference somewhere. If I can find it, I will post it.

Here you go. From the ACE fitness discussion group:

The term “aerobic” refers to cellular metabolism where ATP is produced “with oxygen” utilized in the process, and “anaerobic” refers to cellular metabolism where some or all of the ATP is produced “without oxygen.” When we are “aerobic,” our bodies are functioning at lower intensities where ATP can be produced with oxygen; or better stated, if our working muscles, organs, brain, etc. are getting all of the oxygen they need, then our body is producing energy aerobically. This can include what we think of in the fitness world “aerobic exercise” (moderate-to-vigorous intensity exercise), but also includes activities that are less strenuous such as reading, washing dishes, sitting at a computer and even sleeping. During all of these activities, your body is able to produce the ATP needed utilizing oxygen in the process. The fuel sources for aerobic cellular metabolism are fats and carbohydrates, with a greater percent of kcals coming from fats at lower intensities. As we start to move and increase the intensity, the percentage of kcals from fats begins to drop as the percentage of kcals from carbohydrates increases. The higher the intensity, the more we utilize carbohydrates as a fuel source. With the exception of very short duration, very high intensity anaerobic activities such as a 100 meter sprint, our bodies generally use a combination of carbohydrates and fats to produce the ATP.

Every time you exercise, your caloric expenditure goes up to meet the demands of the working muscles. This happens at ALL times of the day. This energy comes from fats and carbohydrates in proportions that vary based on the level of intensity as described above. Now, this does not mean that you burn more total kcals from fat at lower intensities than higher intensities. It generally works out to be the opposite, where your body burns more kcals from fat at higher intensities even though the percentage of kcals from fat is less. How can this be? Check out the following link to the Fitness Q&A section of the ACE website where you can read an example of how this works…

https://www.acefitness.org/fitfacts/f...spx?itemid=265

When we exercise, whether at 5:00 AM, 1:00 PM, or 10:00 PM, our bodies require increased kcals to meet the demands of the working muscles. Each individual has times of day that his or her body responds better to exercise for a variety of reasons (circadian rhythms, stress of the day, routines, meals, etc.), but there is no “set time” that is the “only time that aerobic exercise is effective in burning fat.”
And from the link above:

Q: Will I lose body fat more efficiently by performing my aerobic workouts at a low, rather than a high, intensity?

A: Many aerobic exercise programs and videos feature low-intensity workouts which purport to maximize fat burning. The argument behind such an alleged theory is that low-intensity aerobic training will allow your body to use more fat as an energy source, thereby accelerating the loss of body fat.

While it is true that a higher proportion of calories burned during low-intensity exercise come from fat (about 60 percent as opposed to approximately 35 percent from high-intensity programs), high-intensity exercise still burns more calories from fat in the final analysis.

For example, if you perform 30 minutes of low-intensity aerobic exercise (i.e., at a level of 50 percent of maximal exercise capacity), you'll burn approximately 200 calories - about 120 of those come from fat (i.e., 60 percent).

However, exercising for the same amount of time at a high intensity (i.e., 75 percent of your maximal exercise capacity) will burn approximately 400 calories. Using a 35 percent fat utilization yardstick, 140 of the calories you've burned will have come from stored fat.

Although the more vigorous exercise burns both more total and more fat calories, the less intense form of exercise has its benefits as well. For example, because many overweight people tend to find that lower-intensity exercise is more comfortable, they may, therefore, be willing to engage in such workouts.

The point to remember is that low-intensity workouts do, in fact, promote weight and fat loss. You just have to do them for a longer period of time.

Low-intensity aerobic exercise, however, is not a better or more effective way to lose weight than more intense physical activity - the idea of a "fat-burning zone" is simply a myth.

Keep in mind that you lose weight and body fat when you expend more calories than you consume, not because you burn fat (or anything else) when you exercise.

Source: Bryant, Cedric X. 101 Frequently Asked Questions about "Health & Fitness" and "Nutrition & Weight Control". Sagamore Publishing, 1999.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-13-07 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-13-07, 01:11 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Perhaps its not just calories burned but where you body gets those calories. In other words, during the early part of your exercise routine, your body burns off the easily accessable calories. As you go longer on time and the easy calories are gone you body has to dig down into converting fat cells for energy.

This may be oversimplification but 3 2 hr rides a week will lose more weight for you than 6 1 hr rides.
Old 02-13-07, 01:51 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I came across the secret of those people that do not get their hair out of place, do not break out into a sweat, and can still talk after a 5 minute slog out of the saddle up a hill.

One lesson as we went up a "Hill", we were told to wind on to simulate the severity of the hill- or if we were spinners to put in just a bit. After about 5-"The hills just got steeper so wind in again". My bike developed a fault. The instructor came over and he agreed that the wheel was jammedand it would not release back. I had wound in so much pressure that the wheel just would not turn. I had been putting in a full turn and the rest had been putting in a 1/4.

This is the ideal thing about Spinning- You put in as much as you want to.

Now I ride a bike and I asked around my Spinning class and not one of them actually rides a bike on a regular basis. So 17 people, 16 of whom are addicted to Spinning classes. They have all the gear- some even have SPD's for the few bikes that have them. Some even have bikes at home but none of them ride.
Spinning classes are an aid to getting fit, and for some of us that cannot ride in the Winter- I would say it is almost essential. I still feel that it is better to get out and do a real ride on a real bike.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-13-07, 03:44 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I still feel that it is better to get out and do a real ride on a real bike.
yup, you got it, brother but riding a real bike in the real world means you are out in hot/cold, wet/dry, sunny/cloudy, windy/calm, in short da' Wedder, and for some folks that is a deterrent to riding a bike.

Since I've been cycle-commuting regularly, the weather doesn't bother me much any more, I just dress for it - can't say that I've ever had issues with proper attire for the weather in a spinning class...
Old 02-13-07, 04:11 PM

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
For years, I fought the battle of increasing mileage and increasing or constant weight. Quite by accident I found the secret for me to lose weight. Instead of a 35 or 40 mile ride everyday, I began doing two shorter rides, one in the AM and one in the PM. Sometimes as short as 15 miles. I began to shed pounds. I don't know the science of it, I just know it worked for me. I guess what we should learn is: If you keep doing the same thing the same way, you will keep getting the same results, so change your pattern and see if that helps accomplish your goal.
Old 02-13-07, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by centexwoody

Since I've been cycle-commuting regularly, the weather doesn't bother me much any more, I just dress for it - ...
Move to New England. We'll talk.
Old 02-14-07, 04:27 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bruce19
Move to New England. We'll talk.
Yeah, today was an intresting commute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.