Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My Wife is Throwing me out

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-13-07, 05:47 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Mecian

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The last month has been really brutal at our business, so my wife has decided that I am to leave the house over Presidents day weekend, and go spend a few days cycling. Weather has been just bad enough here in Bozeman so that its not likely the secondary roads will be free of snow. So I have to drive somewhere, and would not want to drive any more than 1000 miles, and preferable less. Problem is, its about 1000 miles to anywhere from here. So, its 1000 over to Eugene OR, 1160 miles to LA area, and so on. Help me here folks, where can I go that would be in the 50s during the day and is has a decent secondary road network and semi-sane drivers. Oh yea, low chance of rain for the week-end too. Is a bit too far to go challenge Digital Gee to a ride.
Old 02-13-07, 05:50 PM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come to Missouri. But I ain't shaving my legs for you.
Old 02-13-07, 05:58 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Besides, I'd drop you like a bad habit.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-13-07, 06:10 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is 710 miles to Saint George, Utah. Avg highs right now are in the low 60s. Beautiful scenery and national parks. Snow Canyon state park is extremely nice. That would be high on my list.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-13-07, 06:16 PM
howsteepisit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom, I don't recall any off the interstate roads for road cycling. Whats there
Old 02-13-07, 06:24 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://www.olwm.com/utahsdixie/new-11-05/biking.html

I've been through Snow Canyon park (where they have low speed limits for cars) and the wide open highlands up around Pine Valley. Loved them.

Mountain bike trails are plentiful:
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/idx-st-g.htm

"A popular road-biking trip is the scenic 24-mile loop from St. George through Santa Clara, Ivins, and Snow Canyon State Park. The route follows paved roads with narrow shoulders but generally little traffic. Allow 2 to 3 hours. Head north out of St. George on Bluff Street (Utah 18) and follow it to its intersection with U.S. 91. Turn west (left) and go about 6 miles to the village of Santa Clara, where you can visit the Jacob Hamblin Home. From Santa Clara, continue west about a mile before turning north (right); follow the signs to Ivins and the Tuacahn Amphitheater. At Ivins, turn east (right) onto the Snow Canyon Road, following signs for Snow Canyon State Park, where you can easily spend from several hours to several days exploring the red-rock formations, lava pools, and sand dunes. From the park, continue east to Utah 18, turn south (right), and pedal back into St. George."
Old 02-13-07, 06:48 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could contact these people:
http://southernutahadventures.com/mo...iking-co2.html

There's another trail listed on this page:
http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/b...topten_np8.htm

The area definitely caters more to mountain biking, but when I out there a few years back, the roads up around Pine Valley and Dixie National Forest were lightly traveled. Perhaps someone else can provide more information.
Old 02-13-07, 06:53 PM
SaiKaiTai

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How far is it to Pacifica? You can bike by the beautiful blue Pacific and if you want to climb....
Old 02-13-07, 09:33 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moab, Utah is in the low to mid 50s now. Again a spot that caters more to mountain biking, but they have road routes in the area. More beautiful scenery.

I could take a few days of either Moab or St. George right now. The forecast for St. George this coming weekend is 68 on Saturday and 64 on Sunday.
Old 02-13-07, 09:38 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Moab, Utah is in the low to mid 50s now. Again a spot that caters more to mountain biking, but they have road routes in the area. More beautiful scenery.

I could take a few days of either Moab or St. George right now. The forecast for St. George this coming weekend is 68 on Saturday and 64 on Sunday.
+1 on Moab

The Skinny Tire Festival is the first weekend in March (2 weeks) http://www.skinnytirefestival.com/skinny.html
Old 02-13-07, 10:26 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount, 1982-ish Ron Cooper,1978 Eisentraut "A," mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 1961 Bianchi Competizione (an Eroica bike), 1994 Trek 520, 199? Burley Bossa Nova, early-1970s Cinelli Speciale Corsa (also an Eroica bike)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here's one you've never heard of before but ought to consider- Yreka (pronounced wy-REE-ka), California. It is in far northern California on Interstate 5. It would be something on the order of 800 miles of driving (taken from Missoula, as I don't know where in Montana you are), and has a bunch of great roads to explore - everything from flat to rolling to serious hills. It's a small town (although it's the biggest thing for some miles around) and since I-5 is right there, all the major through-traffic is off the secondary roads, so traffic is fairly light. Explore to your heart's content.

According to Yahoo weather, the temps over the weekend look to be highs in the low 60's, lows in the 30's. It looks like there may be rain on Sunday, but Friday, Saturday and Monday look pretty good.

Another plus - Yreka is hardly a tourist Mecca, so lodging should be available and prices will be reasonable - by SF Bay Area standards, they are likely to be downright cheap.
Old 02-13-07, 11:33 PM
charlisity
is full of it.

Bikes: Giant Yukon, Trek 1000, Schwinn Super Sport Comp, World Sport and Le Tour IV, Haro Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better than Yreka, Eureka at a similar distance, will provide better amenities at similar prices and you can ride through the Avenue of the Giants. It is a two lane road next to Highway 101 that runs through a giant Sequia tree forest. See http://www.tuccycle.org for pictures, more information on the area and a very challenging 100 mile course of which the Avenue of the Giants is as small section.

You mentioned getting away from some brutal days at your business. Ride the Avenue in the early morning mist at a very slow pace, listen to the birds and the giants sway in the breeze for an instant lift.

I ride North on 101 from Eureka to Trinidad which is a 50 mile ride round trip along the coast with two little towns on the way. That ride is mostly flat with a few rollers as you arrive to Trinidad. Going South on 101 will give you a much greater challenge if you like hills. Doing "The Wall" section of the Tour will give you bragging rights and you will exit that climb as a mountain goat recognizable only to other survivors.

Where ever you go, I hope you find peace.
Old 02-13-07, 11:45 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of nice options there.

You know, if you are looking for a closeby place with temps in the 50s, Boise is predicted to be in the mid-50s by this weekend and for several days thereafter. Twin Falls too. So there are options as close as Idaho.
Old 02-14-07, 08:33 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I'm envious!!

Would you email my wife and ask her to throw me out of the house too?????
Old 02-14-07, 08:57 AM
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Besides, I'd drop you like a bad habit.
All of my bad habits seem to stick around. I guess this is why I never drop anyone.
Old 02-14-07, 09:15 AM
howsteepisit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the inputs! I am looking at all of them. I am also thinking about the area just west of Spokane WA. One of the biggest problems is that Bozeman is in the SW part of Montana, and I can go east on Interstate 90, and South on Interstate 15. Everything else seems to take a great circle route. For example, to go over to Eugene OR, I have to drive 100 miles north to Missoula, then west to Spokane, then over to Portland, and so on . Going South, its an additional 250 miles to go through Idaho. So what looks like a not to long trip ends up over 1000 miles! But then again, the summers around here make it all wothwhile. Every Spring our Bike club has a 60 mile ride in Yellowstone before they open up the roads for cars. It is spectacular!
Old 02-14-07, 09:16 AM
howsteepisit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW - DG - you may drop me in the short term, I'd grind you up like a sausage over the long haul!
Old 02-14-07, 09:32 AM
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
BTW - DG - you may drop me in the short term, I'd grind you up like a sausage over the long haul!
DG never dropped a bad habit either, so I think you're safe.
Old 02-14-07, 10:05 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Palm Springs. Nice riding, great winter weather. Anywhere in Arizona or lower Nevada.
Old 02-14-07, 10:56 AM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought of eastern Washington when I checked on Twin Falls and Boise, Idaho. Checked on both Spokane and Pullman, but it's been colder up there. Most days with highs in the upper 30s.
Old 02-14-07, 01:04 PM
howsteepisit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like Moab is going to be the choice. Anybody with road riding experience in that area? I checked out the skinny tire festival and it looks like there are enough roads to ride on for it to be interesting for a few days.
Old 02-14-07, 01:54 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I could join you. I recommended it, but have never been there. Planned two vacations there and both fell through. I'd love to visit the Arches NP and to get around and see the rest of the area.
Old 02-14-07, 02:01 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
Come to Missouri.
St. Louis got snowed on with highs in the 20s next 2 days. DON'T COME TO ST. LOUIS for cycling thhis weekend.
Old 02-14-07, 03:19 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Looks like Moab is going to be the choice. Anybody with road riding experience in that area? I checked out the skinny tire festival and it looks like there are enough roads to ride on for it to be interesting for a few days.
Yes, you can't go wrong with the rides listed in the festival site. Another option is to ride highway 128, and keep going to Dewy Bridge and back. Or, you can ride south out of town and take the paved road into Canyonlands NP to the Needles Overlook. Or Take you bike in the car south to highway 211, and ride west on 211 to Squaw Flats. Have fun!
Old 02-14-07, 03:31 PM
Coloradopenguin

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on Moab

I'm one of the lucky ones where Moab is an easy day's drive. The mountain biking is a little too extreme for me, but we've ridden and hiked in Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, and the road along the Colorado River out of Moab is lots of fun. And the weather looks very good for the weekend.

St. George looks interesting as well, and would be a little warmer -- and you could ride by day and bop over to Vegas by night!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.