Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I want to be a 65 year old champion?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-13-07, 06:54 PM
ratebeer
Not obese just overweight

Bikes: Trek 7500fx, Cervelo Soloist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How realistic is it to believe I can become a champion cyclist in 26 years?

Have long term training techniques paid off for you so that you've risen in the ranks of your peers over the years? If so, how radical of an improvement can be made?

Veho difficilis, ago facilis
Old 02-13-07, 06:57 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess that depends on how old you are now. I read your thread about flatbars and loved it.Take care and keep up the good work,George
Old 02-13-07, 07:15 PM
CrossChain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take it, Ratebeer, that you're not in your 50's yet, but are looking into the future wondering where our mindset is and where you can expect to be as nature and gravity drag you downwards but hopefully successful training bears you upwards?

Beats me.

Many of us would admit to being a bit slower, less explosive, and less snap-back resilient than years ago. The hills do seem to have grown a bit steeper but training at any age can still smooth them. A few here would assert they are better than ever. But then come the quibbles. "I ride slower, but enjoy it more." "Speed is down but endurance is up." "I'm less competitive but have more simple joy now." "I'm as competitive as ever, but more realistic." "I can still ride the bejeesus out of most OCP'ers." "Who cares, a moot point, performance is relative--- training still gets me better and as long as I'm responding and growing I'm happy."

A popular response might be a longer view: "Age has mellowed me from being compulsive and driven, but I'm more of a total cyclist now in the sense of mileage, pleasure, satisfaction, and fitness related to my age level. Cycling now contributes more to my complete life because, as age tightens its grip, physical benefits and endophin pumped attitudes help me loosen his fingers and stare him in the eye.

Would be interesting to really answer your question by having someone respond who has had a smooth enough and predictable enough life to have trained consistently and wisely over such a long period. Just how far can you go with optimum training over a lifetime?

Last edited by CrossChain; 02-13-07 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-13-07, 07:23 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It looks to me that, for the most part, the guys who won everything when they were in their 20's and 30's are the ones who stick with it and are still winning everything when they're 60. The fields may get smaller but the most of the people who drop out are just the also-rans so it never gets any easier.
Old 02-13-07, 07:48 PM
Big Paulie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ratebeer
How realistic is it to believe I can become a champion cyclist in 26 years?
Not very, if your hobby is "rating" beer!
Old 02-13-07, 08:19 PM
ratebeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll turn 39 next month and I'm thinking about the future. As I picked out my Cervelo last week, a guy at the shop told me that one of Marin County's strongest riders is 53 years old. Considering there are a lot of mountains in Marin and a lot of very strong riders, this really struck me as phenomenal.

I moved to California from Austin, Texas and one of the top triathletes there was 43. I worked a race where he just dominated the field by a ridiculous margin.

I want to be more graceful as I age. I'll be less aggressive in my training and how I ride for certain, but I do find training techniques and the science growing with them to be very interesting.

Old 02-13-07, 08:32 PM
Big Paulie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems to me that the potential of being a great athlete like a champion cyclist or champion triathlete is more internal than anything. The basketball potential of a 7 foot tall kid in high school is obvious because we can see his natural talent. The potential of an endurance athlete is buried in his or her cardio cascular system and lung capacity...so the only way to find out your potential is to try.

I read somewhere that it takes about 5 years of totally dedicated effort to find out how good you are as a cyclist. And the journey is the reward anyway, so start your journey!
Old 02-13-07, 08:42 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How competitive will you be next year in the 40 year old class?
Old 02-14-07, 12:44 AM
ratebeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never been an elite athlete but I have put in some good mile and two mile times as a runner and have posted a pretty decent marathon. I used to ride centuries and double centuries and rode in college but was just too thin to generate much power. I've seen my lungs and heart on ultrasound and the docs agree, they're abnormally huge. I've had a resting heartbeat as low as 38 bpm. All sub-elite stuff.

I know I won't be world class at 65. I'm thinking I might be my best at 45 if I train correctly and probably better relative to other riders at 50 or so with a good strong decade under my belt. I'm just curious as to what I can get out of myself.

I was hoping there was someone out there who had a dream realized. Someone who gave up smoking cigarettes, lost weight, put in the time training and ended up being a top competitor in their local area in their age division. Or someone who didn't know they had talent until they got on a bike for the first time at age 55.

Old 02-14-07, 12:56 AM
ratebeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
Not very, if your hobby is "rating" beer!
It's actually my business, and I love it!
We focus on quality and not quantity -- they don't sell Belgian Trappists by the suitcase -- and so the real cost to the waistline is much less than you might think.

We have a great many cycling enthusiasts in the craft beer world and even more who are as focused on fitness as they are on living well with beer. If world class cyclists are drinking beer during the TdF, I'm not too worried about beer interfering with my dreams.

Old 02-14-07, 01:06 AM
Big Paulie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, Eddie Merckx smoked three packs a day during his career, so no need to quit smoking either!
Old 02-14-07, 06:50 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 67 and hope to be a top competitor in 26 years. Any words of advice? Anyone out there who has been successful in this endeavor?

I WANT TO BE A CHAMPION AND AM WILLING TO PUT IN 26 YEARS OF TRAINING TO DO SO!

Old 02-14-07, 08:27 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I'm 50+ and ride in a variety of timed events-metrics and english centuries. It's not unusual to see riders in their 50's win or finish in the top 5. Usually these guys were also studs in their younger days and have continued their conditioning or even refound their conditioning. I'm pretty sure the winner of the Grandfather Mountain 100 mile ride was a 50+er this past year. In our local time trials the winners of the 50 and 55 age groups are just as fast as the 40 year olds. Cycling has demonstrated that there are some really tough and physically/mentally fit matured gentlemen (and ladies) in the mix. However, I'm not sure about someone being able to do a lot better in their 50's than what their physical ability would allow them to do in their younger years. I think it is pretty relative overall-the skills just don't have to decline as much as you might think at 50+.

In other words, if you don't have it today, don't expect it to suddenly appear in 50+. But, you can retain your ability much longer than you might think. That can work as a hidden advantage riding with a younger group......if you let them think they're stronger just because they are younger!!!

I hope this helps some with your long term strategy.
Old 02-14-07, 10:54 AM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was someone in this forum who won a Florida age group championship and was moving on to the nationals. He posted about it a few weeks ago. Anyone remember who that was?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-14-07, 12:27 PM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having a goal and working toward it is the key. You may not reach the goal but reaching for the goal will make you better. When I was 40 I set a goal for myself to be in better shape at 50 than I was at 25. Through school I was a competative runner and in very good shape. I graduated, got a real job, got married had kids and started loosing the fit feeling I had at 25 and didn't much like that. Well I am now past 50 and while I do not weigh the same as I did at 25 I feel the cycling had brought my fitness in the terms of endurance and my overall feeling of fitness much closer to where I was at 25 than at 40. If I did not have this goal who knows where I might have ended up.

2013 Noah RS