Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Calfee Tetra Pro

Old 02-16-07, 09:42 PM
Hardheadmandca
Brian L. Baker

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus - 2000?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding the ES-330 neck and body link

It seems to be somewhat rare, but mine is one of the ones that meet at the 19th fret as opposed to the broader variety that meet at the 17th fret.

It seems to be a 1969 with a Cherry Finish - Blue book says it's worth between $2, 750 and $3,000.

I need $2,00 for the bike.
Old 02-16-07, 09:51 PM
Hardheadmandca
Brian L. Baker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did ride the Calfee today

It is sweet. I can stand over the bar. It's tight but there is some clearance. The fit to the bhandle bars is far superior, and the bike rides like a dream.

It is the only bike I have ever seen that rivals, in pure beauty of the finish, that of the my Gibson guitar.

I have had the the Specialized fitted for me, with the handle bars raised. I ride 40 miles tomorrow on it.

I will decide after that ride what to do.

Someone asked if I had anything else to sell to get the $2K needed. On as easily. I have a beautiful Fender Princeton tube amp make in April 1964. It is a fabulous blues amp that is easily portable, but the value seems to fluctuate wildly. I have seen it as high as $1,500 3 years ago, but recently they've been selling on eBay for about $750.

I have two Fender Squire Stratocasters (black), a pink Ibanez Strat knock-off and an Ibanez Fender P-Bass knock-off - each of which is only worth about $100-$150 a piece.
Old 02-16-07, 10:10 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Ooh, a pre-CBS Blackface Princeton. Now that is something this harpoon man would never sell. I've been kicking myself for 10 years for passing up one of those.
Old 02-16-07, 10:58 PM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
had a Calfee - strangely never really like'd it - mainly cause it was green. & it did seem heavy. Now got a Madone. Love it!@!!!!I'd try both till you find the one you really can;t do without.
Old 02-20-07, 08:01 PM
Hardheadmandca
Brian L. Baker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I decided to buy the Calfee and sell the guitar

I spoke to Craig Calfee and he wants to have me bring it to him for "stiffening" before he re-instates the 25 year warranty. So, I'll be stripping it and driving it to his shop on Friday.
Old 02-20-07, 08:29 PM
CrossChain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardheadmandca
I spoke to Craig Calfee and he wants to have me bring it to him for "stiffening" before he re-instates the 25 year warranty. So, I'll be stripping it and driving it to his shop on Friday.
So, you bought the Calfee? Did you sell the guitar? How does "stiffening" work and why would they have to do it? If I were from Mars, I would conclude that repeated riding tenderizes and softens the frame. Or, Hardheadmandca, is this some velo-macho-erotico sort of thing. If so, we've all (female cyclists excepted) I'm sure experienced it. Hence, slotted saddles.
Old 02-21-07, 12:12 AM
Hardheadmandca
Brian L. Baker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pick up the bike on Thursday morning.

I sold the guitar and amp to my brother, so I'll get visitation rights.

As for stiffening, I assume they are adding more carbon to critical areas. Craig thought my size, 6' and 270 pounds, required it.

As for possible erotic options, that comes with the paint job, I guess. It truly is hot!
Old 02-21-07, 10:13 AM
scottogo

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great!
Old 02-21-07, 11:30 AM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got rid of my 70s vintage Raleigh Competition (talk about "old school") and not a day goes by that I don't regret it.

Bikes are a mature technology and bikes like my old Raleigh, far older than your Sirrus, are capable of giving satisfaction for years to come. Changes and improvements, while real, have been incremental and far less than the marketeers would have you believe. Replacement parts and upgrades are not that hard to find.

Keep the Sirrus and the Gibson. Maybe use the money you'd have spent on some guitar lessons?

Oh, dang, nevermind: read your last post. At least the Gibson is in good hands!