Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Calfee Tetra Pro (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/269343-calfee-tetra-pro.html)

Hardheadmandca 02-14-07 06:52 PM

Calfee Tetra Pro

I am returning to biking after a number of years. I will turn 51 this upcoming Summer. I have joined the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training to do the Century Ride in June around Lake Tahoe.

My current bike is a 2000, I believe, Specialized Sirrus that seems to already be "old school" with regards to fine adjustments - old style stem and seatpost. I also think the top tube is a bit short for my longer torso. I am 6' even with a 33" inseam, and the bike is a 58cm.

I have been offered the above mentioned bike in a 60cm frame - probably a 2002 version - for $2000. That's a heck of a lot more than I ever have paid for a bike, but I understand it is an excellent bike that will proabably outlast me.

I live in Fresno, so I am pretty close to the guy who makes them if there is a problem. The bike was recently tuned by the Calfee dealer in Fresno who reports that it is in phenomenal shape.

According to my wife, the only way I can get this is to sell something else I love. A beautiful, vintage, 1969 Gibson ES-330.

My question? Is it worth it?

Thanks,

Brian

scottogo 02-14-07 06:57 PM

Today is Valentine's Day. Did you get something nice for her? Serenade her with your guitar. Then why don't you ask for the bike?

Hardheadmandca 02-14-07 06:59 PM

The down side to that excellant plan is . . .

I don't play. I simply collect. I believe she feels that collecting in one hobby at a time is all she is willing to support.

Well, we both ski, so there is a third hobby, but guitars and bikes is mine alone.

scottogo 02-14-07 07:05 PM

Do you sing? You could also hold the guitar for effect.

Hardheadmandca 02-14-07 07:12 PM

Sadly, while I know the lyrics to a lot of songs,

people tend to leave the room running when I sing.

I think the guitar's a gonner. I hope the bike is as good as everyone says it is!

CrossChain 02-14-07 07:13 PM

???? Why not read some online reviews tonight of the Tetra Pro (e.g. Road Bike Review), then go ride it and imagine any adjustments in terms of saddle height and stem length that it would take to make it more comfy than your Specialized. If you discover it really fits-like-a-glove and is smooth as a magic carpet ride-- and it carries you around the Lake and on to greater cycling pleasure, then probably worth it. But to give up the guitar for a bike, as cf DuraAce slick as it may be, with a problematic fit will be very upsetting.

Check out this: http://fresno.craigslist.org/bik/276812409.html

It's a listing in Fresno for a 60cm Calfee Tetra Pro at $2200. Coincidence?

Hardheadmandca 02-14-07 07:31 PM

That's the bike

I expect to go ride it tomorrow and make the decision.

Nice searching! Are you a Librarian too? I am.

BluesDawg 02-14-07 07:44 PM

Using trumps collecting, so if the bike fits and you'll ride it, allow the Gibson to go to someone who'll play it. That's what they are made for, not just looking nice.

scottogo 02-14-07 08:02 PM

Would you like to do a century on that Sirrus?
Never the twang shall bike meet.

CrossChain 02-14-07 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hardheadmandca
I expect to go ride it tomorrow and make the decision.

Nice searching! Are you a Librarian too? I am.

Good luck with the ride....and don't be swayed by the glamor of the bike as I would be. You're picking out a wife, so to speak, not a vixen-girlfriend........although some men are lucky enough to find both-in-one.

****Yes, I have a degree in Library Science, but currently am a classroom teacher. Perhaps we should have Melvil Dewey as our avatar?

Indolent58 02-14-07 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Using trumps collecting, so if the bike fits and you'll ride it, allow the Gibson to go to someone who'll play it. That's what they are made for, not just looking nice.

The reality is, the best price will be paid by a collector. At the current price of a '69 330 regular players have lots of better options. The real question is, will the OP continue to ride and enjoy the bike after their century goal is achieved. If so it may be worth it. If he is not sure, perhaps a significantly cheaper bike that fits properly would be a better choice. Once the Gibson is gone it is gone, and its value is only going to go up in the future.

BluesDawg 02-14-07 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Indolent58
The reality is, the best price will be paid by a collector. At the current price of a '69 330 regular players have lots of better options.

I'm sure that's true and it makes good business sense, but it's a crying shame. Guitars should be played and bicycles should be ridden.

scottogo 02-14-07 09:46 PM

Pedal steel guitar

BluesDawg 02-14-07 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by scottogo
Pedal steel guitar

:lol:

centexwoody 02-14-07 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hardheadmandca
According to my wife, the only way I can get this is to sell something else I love. A beautiful, vintage, 1969 Gibson ES-330.

My question? Is it worth it?

No way, my man, cuz once that Gibson is gone, you won't get it back.

There are many many bikes out there and since you are returning to cycling, ride the one you've got for awhile then upgrade. Two grand is a helluva lotta bucks for a bike by anyone's standards (there are many who will argue with me on this point) and lots of bikes that can be tested, ridden, sold, swapped that won't create the kind of investment conflict that this one seems to be making.

Of course, this is my opinion based on some beloved items I sold to get different items that just weren't worth it in the long term. Now I have neither...

stapfam 02-15-07 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by centexwoody
No way, my man, cuz once that Gibson is gone, you won't get it back.

There are many many bikes out there and since you are returning to cycling, ride the one you've got for awhile then upgrade. Two grand is a helluva lotta bucks for a bike by anyone's standards (there are many who will argue with me on this point) and lots of bikes that can be tested, ridden, sold, swapped that won't create the kind of investment conflict that this one seems to be making.

Of course, this is my opinion based on some beloved items I sold to get different items that just weren't worth it in the long term. Now I have neither...

Keep the Gibson and keep the bike. The bike May be a bit old school and before trying for a new bike- Try a longer stem on it. The new sirrus will not be that different to the old one And If I had to get a nerw bike- I would find something cheaper and that would be as good. Then I would definitely keep the Gibson.

Bl&&dy H*ll- To me it is a choice between the Gibson and the wife- And the gibson would still be a keeper.

BluesDawg 02-15-07 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam
Bl&&dy H*ll- To me it is a choice between the Gibson and the wife- And the gibson would still be a keeper.

Keep the one you would use the most, not just look at.

Hardheadmandca 02-15-07 03:51 PM

Well, I'm getting the guitar valued tonight, riding the Tetra

tomorrow, and going 45 miles on my tuned and adjusted as much as possible Sirrus on Saturday.

I'll make the decision after that ride.

I tend to agree that guitars should be played and bikes should be ridden. I don't do the former, and I plan on doing the latter, so I'm leaning towards making the deal.

A bonus is that my older brother who lives about 3 hours away is interested in buying and playing the guitar, and giving me visitation, and re-purchase, rights.

Seems like having my cake and eating it too.

zonatandem 02-15-07 09:34 PM

You'll l-o-v-e the c/f Calfee! Plus it'll make that Lake Tahoe ride/climb a bit easier too.

lhbernhardt 02-16-07 12:53 AM

At 6' and a 33" inseam, I think the 60cm Calfee (assuming it's a center-top measurement) is probably the right size for your upper body (probably a 59cm top tube, but may be a bit large for the inseam. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and a 58cm frame with a 57 or 58cm top tube is just perfect. It's always better to err on the small side; you can always get a longer stem or seatpost (although the handling might be a little squirrely).

The Gibson 330 has a big problem; the cutaway meets the fretboard at around the 12th or 15th fret, as I recall. The ES-335 and 345 (stereo model, the one BB King uses) meet the fretboard at around the 19th fret, so getting to the final 21st fret is no problem. Ya can't do that with a 330, which is why I've never considered it. The 330 limits what you can do, or at least makes it somewhat of a nuisance to play really high notes; I've never considered it a player's guitar, more of a collector's. (I play classical guitar, but I own a 1975 Les Paul Deluxe. All the Les Pauls let you get to the 21st fret, and they hold their value better).

- L.

Hermes 02-16-07 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
At 6' and a 33" inseam, I think the 60cm Calfee (assuming it's a center-top measurement) is probably the right size for your upper body (probably a 59cm top tube, but may be a bit large for the inseam. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and a 58cm frame with a 57 or 58cm top tube is just perfect. It's always better to err on the small side; you can always get a longer stem or seatpost (although the handling might be a little squirrely).

+1 I am 6 feet with a 33 inseam. I have a Trek Madone 56 cm frame with an effective top tube 56.2 cm and a angle of 73.5 deg. I suggest getting professionally fitted. The 60cm seems too big.

BluesDawg 02-16-07 08:51 AM

I'm not so sure it would be too big. One big factor is are we talking pant size inseam or true cycling inseam (from the floor in bare feet to a hard hit on the pubic bone)?
Also, I prefer to err to the large side for comfort. Makes it easier to get the handlebars at a reasonable height. But not to the point that you can't straddle the top tube.
<edit> but getting professionally fitted is still a good idea

lotek 02-16-07 09:08 AM

I say no, don't sell the gibson.
late 60's ES330s are selling in the neighborhood
of $4000.
The Calfee will continue to depreciate (in financial terms)
but the Gibson will only get more and more expensive to replace.
Given the choice I would upgrade the Specialized and keep the axe.

marty

scottogo 02-16-07 10:13 AM

Don't you have anything else to trade besides the Gibson?

CrossChain 02-16-07 11:01 AM

Why not take the Specialized down to a shop you trust, ask them to check it out for fit-- and what can they do to maximize its comfort for long riding. Maybe a lot, maybe not much. If they can help you get into higher mileage with it....then either your "need" for the Calfee will leave or your wife, admiring your hard won miles and commitment, will relent and agree to bike upgrade w/o selling the Gibson. There will be many a sweet bike come your way besides this particular Calfee.