Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Help with PowerGrips

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Help with PowerGrips

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 03:26 PM

Bikes: Rans Fusion/Catrike Road/Bacchetta Cafe'

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with PowerGrips

I just installed Powergrips on my pedals. Getting out of them is easy, but getting into them is apparently beyond my limited coordination abilities. I can get into one side, but when I try to get into the second one, I have to flip the pedal upright and control the bike while trying to get my foot into the strap, but by the time my foot is in position to enter the strap, the pedal has inverted itself again. I suspect this might be similar to using toe clips, but I have never done that either. Can anyone who uses Powergrips (or maybe toe clips) offer suggestions as to what magical method or incantation works?
Old 02-18-07, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple of suggestions: Power Grips are designed to hold your foot firmly when it's pointing straight ahead, but release when you rotate the heel outward--that's why they mount at the back of the pedal on the inside and the front of it on the outside. Be sure they're mounted right. Also, make sure they're not too tight. You need a little slack so you can insert your foot at an angle (heel out). Then when you bring the heel in to pedal, you twist the PG a few degrees it tightens up. Finally, mine only work with one pair of shoes. I have PGs on my singlespeed, and I set them up initially wearing some old bike shoes (pre-cleat, what used to be called touring shoes, with hard, thin soles). I often ride that bike around town in athletic shoes, though, and with the thicker soles I couldn't get my feet in. I finally swapped the PGs to another bike and put toe clips on the singlespeed, just so I could use whatever shoes I had on.
Old 02-18-07, 10:20 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Woodlark
Can anyone who uses Powergrips (or maybe toe clips) offer suggestions as to what magical method or incantation works?
There are no incantations that came with mine, unfortunately. I've used toe clips, clipless & currently have Power Grips. My shoe size is 16 so the toe clips were never big enough to let me seat my shoes onto the pedals. The Power Grips have been on for about 150 miles and I'm still getting used to them in some ways.

For example, when I stop at a light and put my foot down, starting back up again one foot is already seated & then the other foot has to flip the pedal and insert. I hate having to cross an intersection while looking down at my pedal so I usually just pedal across then look down. It is a pain in the butt but I'm slowly getting used to it and today managed to flip & insert without even looking, just like I used to do with the toe clips.

I ride in New Balance cross trainers, leather dress shoes, heavy sole walking shoes and in my experience, the smaller the shoe, the easier it is to insert my foot. But I really like the Power Grips. I had to tighten them one hole after riding with them for a week because they weren't holding my shoe tight enough. Now they seem to have loosened a bit as a compromise between efficiency of holding the foot & being able to insert when starting up.

One of the things i noticed about them is that they are slowly starting to retain their 'loop' and it is getting easier to insert my shoe when starting up. If you have smallish feet & shoes, I always thought the shape of the toe clips was easier because the plastic stayed rigid. The Power Grips are fabric or whatever so if you step on them, they'll fold down. It ain't great but works better the more I practice with them.
Old 02-18-07, 11:31 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I installed Power Grips last weekend. It took a couple of quick rides to get the loop size that felt good, and after a few medium length rides, they are getting easier to get into. I agree with Centexwoody -- they are beginning to retain the shape of my shoe and are getting easier to slip into with each ride.

My initial reaction to the Power Grips is good, and they are much easier to use than the toe clips and straps, especially at stops.
Old 02-19-07, 12:17 AM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I loved my PowerGrips when I used them regularly. I thought they were a good compromise. They now reside on my Schwinn Traveler (my 'heavy road trainer) so I can use any shoe with them.

The one thing I did notice was they behave much better with a pedal that has some sort of toe-flip built in. If your pedals don't have the toe-flip, you might still be able to buy a little bolt-on one. Sorry, don't remember who made 'em.
Old 02-19-07, 07:21 AM

Bikes: Rans Fusion/Catrike Road/Bacchetta Cafe'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by centexwoody
I had to tighten them one hole after riding with them for a week
My Powergrips do not have any holes for adjustment. Is that because yours are the "XL" size and mine are not? I wear a size 11 shoe, and currently have the Powergrips adjusted as loose as they will go (only adjustment is how far they are inserted into the clamp on the outside-front of the pedal). Do I possibly need the "XL" version?

Originally Posted by dminor
The one thing I did notice was they behave much better with a pedal that has some sort of toe-flip built in.
My pedals have a toe-flip, but it is quite small and I don't think it does much good; they are Wellgo pedals that came on the bike. I think one problem might be that the rather agressive tread on my shoes (Merrell Close Pursuit Mocs) and the "teeth" on the pedal combine to make entry more difficult. Last night I ordered MKS GR9 pedals off EBay. They look like they might work much better with the Powergrips and my shoes.

I had also considered mini toe clips instead of the Powergrips (the ones that do not use straps). Any idea if they would be better or worse than the Powergrips?

Eventually, I plan to switch to clipless pedals (Crank Bros. Candy SL), but I just got the bike (a Rans Fusion) and want to get used to it before I add clipless pedals into the equation.
Old 02-19-07, 08:55 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I used Powergrips around ten years ago as I transitioned from toe clips to clipless/SPD. Better, in a lot of ways, than toe clips, but not nearly as easy to use as clipless.
Miniclips? Easy to get into and would keep your foot positioned but would add little if nothing to efficiency on the upstroke.
Old 02-19-07, 05:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Powergrips on my folding bikes, as they allow me to use any shoe that I want. They are perfect for that use, as I can jump on the bike anytime I want. They did take a few rides to get used to and do get easier to use as they break in.

Having said that, I use clipless pedals, and cycling shoes on my other bikes, as the Powergrips are not quitee as efficient when I really try and pedal circles.
Old 02-19-07, 05:54 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My Powergrips do not have any holes for adjustment. Is that because yours are the "XL" size and mine are not? I wear a size 11 shoe, and currently have the Powergrips adjusted as loose as they will go (only adjustment is how far they are inserted into the clamp on the outside-front of the pedal). Do I possibly need the "XL" version?
Yep, unless you got skinny feet and wear skinny size 11s. I think size 10 is about the max for the regular size, but YMMV. Like everything else, they require some practice to get used to getting in smoothly, though getting out is a snap.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 02-19-07, 08:41 PM
Bop
Journey-man

Bikes: Custom S&S coupled cross bike and a custom S&S coupled 29er single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding SPDs for many years, but tried Power Grips for winter, so I could wear boots. Not hiking boots, but smooth, Extra Tough brand neoprene boots, common here in SE Alaska. I have big feet, so had to get the larger straps.

The left side always slid in like butter. The right side wouldn't slide in for s**t. I tried adjusting the strap. I tried paying extra attention to the angle of entry of my foot. I tried stiffening the outer side of the strap with duct tape. I tried incantations.

The next winter, I bought winter SPD compatible boots.

I like being firmly attached to the bike. Even on the rare occasions when they worked, Power Grips were not good enough. I really got tired of having to reach down and pull the strap all the way over my right boot. The compromises were just too great. I smiled when I threw them in the dumpster.
Old 02-19-07, 11:36 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I used the standard size PowerGrips for about a year, and ended up weighting the front of the pedal with a short piece of 3/4" angle iron. It didn't position the pedal for perfect entry, but the pedals were always in the same position. My feet soon learned how to enter them without looking.

Oh, and mine do have adjusting holes. Surely they haven't changed the design that much. Or have they? I will mention that I bought pedals and straps as an assembly, rather thand getting the straps alone, and dinking around with another pair of pedals.

I was happy with them, by the way, but the SPDs do suit me better. The barrier was having to spring for a new set of pedals and shoes at the same time - taking it on faith that they would work for me.
Old 02-19-07, 11:40 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I think one problem might be that the rather agressive tread on my shoes (Merrell Close Pursuit Mocs) and the "teeth" on the pedal combine to make entry more difficult. Last night I ordered MKS GR9 pedals off EBay. They look like they might work much better with the Powergrips and my shoes.
I think you've got something there. I had them on a set of Odyssey Triple Traps (BMX pedal) and if I had something like hiking boots on, it was very difficult to get my feet in.