Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Custom Rivendell: Two Year Waiting List?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-07, 07:11 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been researching Rivendell bikes, and their Custom Rivendell bikes would be an excellant ride.

However, my first informal contact with the company has indicated a two year waiting period. That is one serious wait.

Is anybody on the waiting list for a Custom Rivendell, and how long have you been on the list? Any comments about the waiting list, such as for starters ... is it worth the wait?
Old 02-20-07, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Is it worth the wait? For a younger person it definitely would be worth the wait. At my age it doesn't even make sense to buy green bananas.
Old 02-20-07, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Consider their non-custom Rambouillet. Not quite as flawlessly finished and the lugs not quite so ornate, but.............if it falls over in the garage you won't have heart stoppage and it has, as they told me at Rivendell, at least 90% of the custom's performance. And with the difference in price....the imagination can run wild.

Just depends on money and time available...and felt need for their "best".

P.S. I've seen a custom Riv............they do "gleam".
Old 02-20-07, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 1,105 Posts
Hi,
I think Waterford makes a slightly better bike. They don't usually have a long wait, and all Waterfords are custom. They also have a 'budget' line called Gunnar.
That's what I have. My wife has a budget Rivendell.
Old 02-20-07, 07:52 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Something does not add up. A two year wait for any purchase is too long - they could go out of business before your order is fulfilled . They must be having some kind of problem. Even if the quality is A+ the fulfillment of the order is F-. There are too many good custom builders to wait two years.
Old 02-20-07, 08:00 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is a kind of "chic" in the retro, sometimes boutique world of Rivendellian taste and bikes. Just like some Italophiles need a bike crafted by a little, welding torch wielding Gepetto-like character. (If you can find such.) Many of Riv's owners have, I think, more than one bike and so don't mind the excruciating wait. A sort of rite of passage?

Personally, a bike is a tool for me....and too jewel-like a bike would make me feel a little inhibited about using it and "going anywhere". Older bikes that work well appeal to me. I can sweat on them, knock 'em over, let them get grimey, etc.-- as long as mechanically they're well tuned. A nice thing about steel.

I'm sure others have more refined and nuanced taste and the wait somehow contributes to its value for them.

Last edited by CrossChain; 02-20-07 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-20-07, 08:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lordoftherings
There are too many good custom builders to wait two years.
+1 There are a lot of very good custom builders with a much shorter wait. What is it that attracts you to the Rivendell? Is it possible you could get what you seek from another builder?
Old 02-20-07, 08:11 PM

On Tom B's thread about having $3K to buy any bike you want, I said I'd probably end up with a Rivendell.

Seriously, if the wait is 2 years I would look elsewhere, as much as I love the Riv's and Rambo's.
Old 02-20-07, 08:15 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrossChain
There is a kind of "chic" in the retro, sometimes boutique world of Rivendellian taste and bikes. Just like some Italophiles Many of Riv's owners have, I think, more than one bike and so don't mind the excruciating wait. A sort of rite of passage?

Personally, a bike is a tool for me....and too jewel-like a bike would make me feel a little inhibited about using it and "going anywhere". Older bikes that work well appeal to me. I'm sure others have more refined and nuanced taste and the wait somehow contributes to its value for them.
Somebody once said, "Rivendell is not a bicycle company. It's a church." I think there's some truth to that. I've listened with great interest to Grant's sermons, and I'm glad the church exists. I've certanly spent a few bucks there, and everything I purchased has been of excellent quality.

At the same time, I can't quite transform myself into a true believer. Ironically, perhaps, Rivendell convinced me that lugged steel bikes from the 1980s set a standard that more contemporary bikes would do well to emulate. Since I already own two such bikes that I purchased 23 years ago, I just couldn't see buying a similar bike built in the 21st Century.

[edit] For what it's worth, I just went to the Riv website. They say the wait for a custom bike can be "eight to 36 months. We aim for a year."

Last edited by Jet Travis; 02-20-07 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-20-07, 08:18 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
On Tom B's thread about having $3K to buy any bike you want, I said I'd probably end up with a Rivendell.

Seriously, if the wait is 2 years I would look elsewhere, as much as I love the Riv's and Rambo's.
A bike seller would have to pay me $3,000 to make me wait two years for his product.
Old 02-20-07, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is it worth the wait? For a younger person it definitely would be worth the wait. At my age it doesn't even make sense to buy green bananas.
At your age huh?I,ve seen the road zealots in your group climb those 20-30% hills in your town.I,m 53 and I avoid your"hood"like the plague.
Old 02-20-07, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by spry
At your age huh?I,ve seen the road zealots in your group climb those 20-30% hills in your town.I,m 53 and I avoid your"hood"like the plague.
Lately I climb like I have the plague.

Are you sure you have my location correct? I'm about 10 miles west of Akron.
Old 02-20-07, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
If I was going to wait 2 years, I would want a Vanilla. Last October, I waited 3 weeks for my Gunnar. It's a sweet riding frame, hard to think a Rivendell could ride that much better. I know, there's the lust factor.
Old 02-20-07, 09:53 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm sorry Louis, but you first said "Rivendell" and I'm going to have to hold you to it.

And since the small print on the $3000 gift certificate said that it expires in 1 year, then I guess you are just out of luck.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-20-07, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I'm sorry Louis, but you first said "Rivendell" and I'm going to have to hold you to it.
And since the small print on the $3000 gift certificate said that it expires in 1 year, then I guess you are just out of luck.
S.O.L. again. I've been there so many times, you ain't gettin' no rookie.
Old 02-20-07, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wait is nothing new--Riv has had an 18-month to two-year wait as long as I've been paying attention, which is probably six or eight years. If you're 55 or over, I think Grant lets you jump the line, though.
Having said that, I have both an Atlantis and a Rambouillet (got a great deal on the Rambo used, or I couldn't afford both), and I can't even imagine better bikes for the kind of riding I do. I mean that literally: I bought the Atlantis new five years ago to last until my kids got out of college, when I intended to buy a custom Riv. I have about 10,000 miles on that and 3,000 or so on the Rambo, and when I think about getting a custom, or any new bike at all, I can't justify it. There's NOTHING I can think of to change on either bike to make it better for a 62-year-old guy riding for recreation and fitness. Plus Riv has been great to deal with except for Brian, who's kind of a pr!ck.
Old 02-20-07, 10:28 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There is a kind of "chic" in the retro, sometimes boutique world of Rivendellian taste and bikes. Just like some Italophiles need a bike crafted by a little, welding torch wielding Gepetto-like character. (If you can find such.) Many of Riv's owners have, I think, more than one bike and so don't mind the excruciating wait. A sort of rite of passage?

Personally, a bike is a tool for me....and too jewel-like a bike would make me feel a little inhibited about using it and "going anywhere". Older bikes that work well appeal to me. I can sweat on them, knock 'em over, let them get grimey, etc.-- as long as mechanically they're well tuned. A nice thing about titanium.

I'm sure others have more refined and nuanced taste and the wait somehow contributes to its value for them.
There....
Old 02-20-07, 10:33 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Vanilla's have a 34 month, thats almost 3 years, waiting list. You could be dead before then. But then again, the bikes are heart breakingly beautiful..
Old 02-20-07, 10:46 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dear "slvoid",
This note is to inform you that you are in violation of the Articles of Deportment at Bicycle Forums, namely SubByLaw #231M, Paragraph 19, Entry 342, SubSlash CrossReferenced in Vol. 37, 14th Edition. To wit: Altering the rightful words of another member intentionally by design is punishable by having to post the word "titanium" a minimum of 20,000 times or until such malfeasance is deemed corrected.
Respectfully,
Joe Gardiner's Conscience.
Old 02-20-07, 10:51 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wait hang on a sec... is that 20000 times starting now? Or is it retroactive?
Old 02-20-07, 10:52 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear "slvoid",
This note is to inform you that you are in violation of the Articles of Deportment at Bicycle Forums, namely SubByLaw #231M, Paragraph 19, Entry 342, SubSlash CrossReferenced in Vol. 37, 14th Edition. To wit: Altering the rightful words of another member intentionally by design is punishable by having to post the word "titanium" a minimum of 20,000 times or until such malfeasance is deemed corrected.
Respectfully,
Joe Gardiner's Conscience.
So does his first titanium post count and now we can just look forward to another 19,999 times?

So he'll become "slvoid" AKA titanium?
or will he become "sltitanium" instead...
Old 02-20-07, 11:56 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I guess I could consider it fortunate that no matter how much I would like to have a custom Rivendell, I can't afford one and that's not likely to change in this lifetime. But if you want one and can pony up the price, you'll probably still want it in a couple of years when it is ready. Limited production volume + high demand = long waits.
Old 02-21-07, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lately I climb like I have the plague.

Are you sure you have my location correct? I'm about 10 miles west of Akron.
Excuse me Louis,
I was thinking Chagrin Falls,due to our previous discussion of the Michelobe Bike Ralley.Those hills are pure hell.

Some one told me there is a newly completed section of the towpath south of Akron due to open this spring?
Old 02-21-07, 09:46 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
There is another, very satisfying, option -- restore and ride a classic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
capo40324 004a.jpg (64.6 KB, 69 views)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-21-07, 09:50 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consider their non-custom Rambouillet. Not quite as flawlessly finished and the lugs not quite so ornate, but.............if it falls over in the garage you won't have heart stoppage and it has, as they told me at Rivendell, at least 90% of the custom's performance. And with the difference in price....the imagination can run wild.

Just depends on money and time available...and felt need for their "best".

P.S. I've seen a custom Riv............they do "gleam".
Thanks everyone for your replies. I cracked up with the first post from Louis, with his wait-response that even WC Fields couldn't do better. One thing I'm good at is patient, and I'll order a Custom-bike from Riv and do the wait. The main reason for wanting a Custom is my PBH (74 cm) is limiting me on what is available in a quality, non-custom, all-purpose roadie. But ... I'd like to go ahead and get a more quality bike (than my current stock Trek 730) in the meantime.

To BLSeVan's post, about what attracted me to Riv-bikes (in two bloody years from now):
* Comfort for an all-purpose Custom-fitted bike.
* Useful for commuting, general riding, and occasional trail.
* Now that I've been riding my Trek 730 for a while, I can see that I would prefer a more comfortable bike that is more road-specific.
* Wide range of tire sizes for each frame.

To CrossChain's first post: Having read everyone's comments to this message, I went back and checked the geometries of the non-custom frames: For my 29" PBH, here are the closest frames, and would like to hear everyone's feedback on whether their standover heights are acceptable for my PBH:
* Atlantis size 47: Standover = 71.2 cm = 28"
* Rambouillet size 50: Standover = 74.2 cm
* Saluki size 47: Standover = 73.5 cm

Soooo, a question I could ask you guys and gals: With the Size 47-Atlantis having a reasonable Standover Height for me, what is the probability that the rest of this sized-frame's geometry could be adjusted by a LBS, to be a comfortable stock bike for a short person such as myself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.