Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A small thing to remember

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-07, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had trouble with my rear derailer for the last couple of months. Not serious, but aggravating. I could adjust it to shift right going up, or going down, but I could not for the life of me get it to work right going both ways. And it seemed to be slow if that is a word that works. I was in town today and took it to the LBS where I bought it and asked their wrench guy to please take a look at it. He put it on the rack and checked chain alignment which was fine. Put the derailer back on and started adjusting cable tension and Praise The Lord it would not work right for him either. Luibed the derailer and that seemed to help a bit but things were still not really right. It did not take him long to zero in on some crud and corrosion inside the cable housing or guide or whatever the right term is. I've occasionally ridden the bike in some pretty crap weather over the winter, and it looked like grit with some salt corrosion? Cleaned that off, lubed it up and things were better. I now own a container of tri-flow and the knowledge of how to clean and lube cables. Who knew? (not me, I'm a total rookie). Anyway, it seemed worthwhile to pass on.
Old 03-07-07, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Glad it was something simple, funny how a little crud in the right (wrong?) place can cause so much trouble.

Some LBS would have tried to sell you a whole new drivetrain if the horror stories I've read on the internet are true. Buy that guy a pizza.
Old 03-07-07, 09:23 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Muck is funny stuff. You can have a perfectly operating system covered in congealed gunk and rust ... and a surgically clean non-operating system thanks to a bit of grit in the wrong place. Glad is was an easy fix. I like cheap fixes.

Richard
Old 03-08-07, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's been the trouble whenever Ive had a non-obvious shifting problem. Another frequent cause of poor rear shifting is friction where the cable runs under the bottom bracket. It's exposed to all kinds of gunk, and oiling it seems like a bad idea because dirt will stick to the lube, but I've cured a lot of shifting just by brushing that off and maybe dripping a little dry lube on it.
Pulling the cables out of the housing and greasing them used to be a normal maintenance chore, but now that everybody uses lined housing, it's often overlooked. Works for brakes, too.
Old 03-08-07, 11:18 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I have become a fan of Avid's Flak Jacket Cables.
I always thought the sealed cable runs were for top tube cables only but the most receint package I opened had 2 small black tubes in it about 6 inches long.
I tested them and they fit through the holes in the bottom bracket guide.
Now I have the down tube cables covered up for their whole length.
Where the tube comes up to my front derailleur I use a small piece of sponge to wipe the crud off the inner wire before it gets inside.
Old 03-08-07, 11:50 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
Glad it was something simple, funny how a little crud in the right (wrong?) place can cause so much trouble.

Some LBS would have tried to sell you a whole new drivetrain if the horror stories I've read on the internet are true. Buy that guy a pizza.

Definitely a bag of doughnuts at least.

You have found an LBS that is worth nurturing so keep in with them.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-08-07, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's what makes it even better. The total charge for service was the purchase price of the little bottle of Tri-Flow. They are a good bike shop, they're even friendly!
Old 03-08-07, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Any time I work on a bike with sticky shifting or braking, like if the calipers are slow to release, I will clean and lube the cables and housings, any rust on the cable, the cable and housing get replaced. That usually gets rid of most problems.
Now you know for the next time.