Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Where is it?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Where is it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 01:46 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Where is it?

I do class myself as pretty fit and can go out and do a ride- put in the milage and, if necessary, put in the effort. It is a normal ride for me to go 30 to 40 miles offroad, up a few 15% hills, take in some sticky mud that saps the energy and the next day I will not have any after effects.
Last Sunday was different. Riding was OK but I did not feel like pushing it up the hills. I did not want to push the speed on the flat up to a fast pace and even on the downhills- I took it with a modicum of care. I just did not want to push myself on effort for the whole of the ride. Then yesterday morning- I felt different. Had to stay in the wharehouse and check a few things out at work and had to walk up and down the stairs- Lift a few heavy items and I was shocked. For the first time in years- My legs ached. My muscles knew they had done some exercise and there was that stiffness that normally comes after the extra long rides or if I have done a ride pushing it all the way.

Only reason I can put it down to is a general lack of exercise. weekend rides are always on- no matter what the weather- but those midweek rides have been lackinhg recently. For some reason, after a hard days graft- I do not feel like getting out for a couple of hours on the bike when it is cold- wet or windy. So I have not done them for a month or so.

So where the good riding weather gone to? If it does not arrive soon- I will have to start taking a sickie as the fine weather seems to be in the daytime round here- as the sun pouring through the office window between 9 and 4 keeps reminding me.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-27-07, 05:57 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Stapfam - you need a break in the sun! Come and visit us - only 78F today, but foggy at first.
Old 02-27-07, 07:36 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
So where the good riding weather gone to? .

It's not here Forecast thru the weekend calls for rain, cold, wind and snow flurries

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-27-07, 08:00 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beverly
It's not here Forecast thru the weekend calls for rain, cold, wind and snow flurries
Same here

But spring is coming and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.
Old 02-27-07, 09:13 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I can't believe how quickly I've lost muscle strength, tone and endurance this winter. I've been riding my commutes and doing the shopping, but since I live so near everything, that's been 25 miles a week on average since mid-January. My in-season weekly average was 125 miles per week.

I've felt the loss on commutes too, going slower overall and even modest inclines have seemed like Everest. Like stapfam, I noticed the difference on stairs too. After a three week hiatus, last week I went out on our Tuesday night ride, and completely wore myself out in just ten miles, and felt sore for two days afterwards. Same again this week. Well, we'll see about the soreness part starting tomorrow.

I'm seriously considering a trainer or rollers for next winter to supplement my commuting and shopping runs.
Old 02-27-07, 09:27 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weekend rides just won't keep the same level of fitness in my experience. My measly 8 mile RT commuting in to teach gets me enough exercise that I've been able to push my other weekdays and weekend rides to 17 - 20 miles each. The difference is astounding.

Stapfam, quit messing around and waiting for the weather to get better. It ain't gonna get better any time soon and if you'll ride now, then those beautiful English and French skies through the summer will be your just reward.

Do you want me to send you some Texas sunshine to tide you over? They're putting it into compressed containers and selling it to the Midwesterners over here and they're delighted to have it. Surely you Brits would also enjoy some...I'm pleased to send some sample vials, just PM me with an address...

p.s. I'll throw in a coupla packets of stiff dust-filled windstorm, too...
Old 02-27-07, 10:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I can't believe how quickly I've lost muscle strength, tone and endurance this winter. I've been riding my commutes and doing the shopping, but since I live so near everything, that's been 25 miles a week on average since mid-January. My in-season weekly average was 125 miles per week.

I've felt the loss on commutes too, going slower overall and even modest inclines have seemed like Everest. Like stapfam, I noticed the difference on stairs too. After a three week hiatus, last week I went out on our Tuesday night ride, and completely wore myself out in just ten miles, and felt sore for two days afterwards. Same again this week. Well, we'll see about the soreness part starting tomorrow.

I'm seriously considering a trainer or rollers for next winter to supplement my commuting and shopping runs.
I know the late night ads are stupid but I think the workout divice such as the Total Gym has helped alot over the winter, or joining a regular gym. We will see once spring finally gets here how it translates into bike fittness. Also spend a couple of hours a week on the trainer, but as many say it is boring. I got out Sunday for 19 miles and I was pleasantly surprised I was able to do the regular hills on that route. Thoughts of walking the bike up the hill were in my mind when I started.
Old 02-28-07, 05:10 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl

If you're in Rochester, NY, maybe you ought to get the trainer now.
Old 02-28-07, 09:51 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
If you're in Rochester, NY, maybe you ought to get the trainer now.
I was thinking of it, especially when I saw Nashbar has their rollers on sale for $88. But I rode through the third-snowiest February on record, and March starts tomorrow. Daytime highs for the next two weeks are forecast for freezing or above, so I should be able to get more non-utility cycling in soon. Besides, I have a new-to-me road bike I'm itchin' to ride, just as soon as some rain washes away the road salt.
Old 02-28-07, 12:27 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with you stapfam. It seems that since the beautiful weather around Jan 1, the rest of this winter has been pretty wet and cold. I only rode weekends in Jan and early Feb, but the last 2 1/2 weeks I determined that despite early morning cold I needed to get out riding. Gone back to my early morning ride regardless of whether the temp is below freezing. Not fun when I begin, but I really like the feeling after the ride.
Old 02-28-07, 12:51 PM
Old biker

Bikes: Custom Cammack touring road and 1987 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of leg protection do you use? I find that keeping my legs warm helps with next day aches and pains.
Otherwise I would say you are just getting older like the rest of us. Welcome to the club! BTW, I'm 67 and can still whup up on my little brothers on a jamming ride on the road or off road in the mountains.
Old 02-28-07, 02:24 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
We've got lots of snow here in Quincy CA. Haven't ridden for several days. Ugh. Leaving for Southern California Saturday and taking my bike.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 02-28-07, 03:05 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlesC
What kind of leg protection do you use? I find that keeping my legs warm helps with next day aches and pains.
Otherwise I would say you are just getting older like the rest of us. Welcome to the club! BTW, I'm 67 and can still whup up on my little brothers on a jamming ride on the road or off road in the mountains.
Have to admit that this was the first ride this year without leggings. Can't believe this was the problem but the previous week I had leggings and felt no problem after the ride.

As an aside- All of my group say the same- Winter clothing does slow all of us down. Height of the summer and it will just be a short sleeve top with possibly a pertex on till we warm up. At present it is at least 3 layers and all that extra clothing does restrict us on movement and does weigh a fair amount.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-28-07, 03:17 PM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
>>> For the first time in years- My legs ached.

All else being equal and given your level of fittness, I'd consider a viral infection. . .cold, flu, somethin' like that. I get the achy leg muscle thing days before the sniffles. [To a hammer, every problem looks like a nail: to every microbiologist every pain looks like an infection.]

I like the Winter Damn-All theory, too. I've been locked inside with two off-for-snow teachers for most of the last two weeks. I've already dug two shallow graves in the cellar and got "that" close to fillin' 'em. . .had the Jack Nicholson thing going. A Kind Providence broke the weather and it's possible to get out every day now. As one of your English heroes once said about a close call with a Frenchman, "It was a very, very close run thing.".

Old 02-28-07, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote!
>>> For the first time in years- My legs ached.

All else being equal and given your level of fittness, I'd consider a viral infection. . .cold, flu, somethin' like that. I get the achy leg muscle thing days before the sniffles. [To a hammer, every problem looks like a nail: to every microbiologist every pain looks like an infection.]

I like the Winter Damn-All theory, too. I've been locked inside with two off-for-snow teachers for most of the last two weeks. I've already dug two shallow graves in the cellar and got "that" close to fillin' 'em. . .had the Jack Nicholson thing going. A Kind Providence broke the weather and it's possible to get out every day now. As one of your English heroes once said about a close call with a Frenchman, "It was a very, very close run thing.".
I went for a ride yesterday, had the devil's own time getting warmed up and my knees hurt more than halfway through, even though the weather was delightful. Last night I had the sniffles, today a full blown cold. I think you might be on to something...