Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Customer Service Question

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 10:41 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I had The Diego done over because of a miscommunication the first time, I was told I'd be charged only for the stem, not the labor. When the bill came, it included new cable for the brakes (the older cable was too short) and a charge for new bar tape, plus the stem, and no labor.

It was a minor amount but I complained that I shouldn't have to pay for the bar tape, since I'd already paid for bar tape the first time, and the fact that it was destroyed taking it off for the re-repair wasn't my fault. I also thought I'd already paid for brake cable, but this turned out not to be so. I had already paid for shifter cable.

I then began to feel like I'm becoming the guy who complains too much, but the LBS said they'd take the charge for the tape off the invoice and keep the rest on. Now I feel silly having complained about a $14 charge.

I'm thinking I go in to settle the bill and bring the wrenches some liquid refreshment to show good faith. Any other ideas?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-04-07, 10:43 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nothing wrong with wanting an accurate accounting. The refreshments would be nice gesture in any case.
Old 04-04-07, 10:44 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
How much do you intend to rely on this particular LBS in the future?
Old 04-04-07, 10:52 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So why didn't they take the bar tape off carefully and re-use it. That is what I would have done if I had done this at home. Now if the bars are different enough(I have not ollowed your saga that closely) the old tape would not work and they were the ones that screwed it up then I don't see why you should pay for their mistake. If it was questionable as to the directions and it was more of a misintepetation then you might settle for splitting the cost 50/50. At least that is what I would do.

2013 Noah RS
Old 04-04-07, 10:55 AM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Oh, I might go so far as to ask for the bar tape at cost - no markup, no labor. They shouldn't charge at all, of course, but for goodwill at a shop you like, I would probably go that far with them. My theory is that if they have to eat the cost of the tape, someone is going to be blamed for the damage. That someone will concede the mistake, but he'll never be your friend.

On the other hand, if you're really fed up with this particular LBS, and you have another choice, stand your ground.
Old 04-04-07, 11:04 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I then began to feel like I'm becoming the guy who complains too much, but the LBS said they'd take the charge for the tape off the invoice and keep the rest on. Now I feel silly having complained about a $14 charge.

I'm thinking I go in to settle the bill and bring the wrenches some liquid refreshment to show good faith. Any other ideas?
Just don't spend more than $14 on the beer.
Old 04-04-07, 11:14 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
So why didn't they take the bar tape off carefully and re-use it. That is what I would have done if I had done this at home. Now if the bars are different enough(I have not ollowed your saga that closely) the old tape would not work and they were the ones that screwed it up then I don't see why you should pay for their mistake. If it was questionable as to the directions and it was more of a misintepetation then you might settle for splitting the cost 50/50. At least that is what I would do.
They said the tape crumbled or something -- it was ruined by taking it off. I did offer the 50/50 and they said they'd eat the cost of the tape, which is great, but as several had said, I was also thinking about long-term. I want them to be happy to see me, not whining about me when I'm not in the store.

The bar was the same, btw. Just a new stem.

Old 04-04-07, 11:17 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
How much do you intend to rely on this particular LBS in the future?

Well, I've always liked them; and they are the closest LBS. If I ever buy a Bianchi, they are clearly the closest LBS that carries that brand. I like the wrenches and they are a friendly bunch. I like that they seem to remember me (even before this!) when I come in.

That said, there are several LBS's not far away that also seemed to offer excellent service. I liked the "salesmanship" of the Giant dealers (two of 'em), the Specialized dealer (one in particular) and so on.

Old 04-04-07, 11:24 AM

Bikes: '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Liquid refreshments cure many ills. You're not talking Chivas here are you? Steve
Old 04-04-07, 11:25 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Unless you really copped a crappy attitude when asking about taking the tape off the bill, I don't think it was detrimental. I'm sure they figured that since the labor was free they should let you pay for all of the parts used, even if their fault, but it is reasonable for them to not make their profit on an item if it was needed in response to their mistake.

Sounds like you have a good LBS. I hope it stays that way.

Now, to look for your ride report!

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-04-07, 11:29 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swan652
Liquid refreshments cure many ills. You're not talking Chivas here are you? Steve
No, I'm thinking Fat Tire Ale.

From the website: Like the ageless delight of pedaling a bicycle, Fat Tire Amber Ale’s appeal is in its feat of balance: Toasty malt flavors (sorta like biscuits just pulled from the oven) coasting in equilibrium with crisp hoppiness. Delicious stability - in the world of sometimes-precarious beer flavors – is perhaps what prompted one consumer who wrote us to say, “this beer just makes you smile.”

Fat Tire’s depth of flavor, achieved with neither a disproportionate sway toward hops or malts, tandems well with a full spectrum of today’s engaging cuisines. Salmon, dry-aged cheeses, roasted chilies, omelets at midnight, sweet potato French fries and just about anything with grill marks or garlic are just a few of the edibles we like to partner up with our Amber Ale.

Fat Tire is so named for the bike trip Jeff took through Belgium that greatly inspired his homebrewing efforts.

Old 04-04-07, 11:45 AM

Bikes: '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
No, I'm thinking Fat Tire Ale.

From the website: Like the ageless delight of pedaling a bicycle, Fat Tire Amber Ale’s appeal is in its feat of balance: Toasty malt flavors (sorta like biscuits just pulled from the oven) coasting in equilibrium with crisp hoppiness. Delicious stability - in the world of sometimes-precarious beer flavors – is perhaps what prompted one consumer who wrote us to say, “this beer just makes you smile.”

Fat Tire’s depth of flavor, achieved with neither a disproportionate sway toward hops or malts, tandems well with a full spectrum of today’s engaging cuisines. Salmon, dry-aged cheeses, roasted chilies, omelets at midnight, sweet potato French fries and just about anything with grill marks or garlic are just a few of the edibles we like to partner up with our Amber Ale.

Fat Tire is so named for the bike trip Jeff took through Belgium that greatly inspired his homebrewing efforts.

If that doesn't say "No hard feelings" then nothing will. Also, I think that $15 worth of handlebar tape is a small price to pay for your continued patronage.
Old 04-04-07, 11:51 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by swan652
If that doesn't say "No hard feelings" then nothing will. Also, I think that $15 worth of handlebar tape is a small price to pay for your continued patronage.
+1. To err is human. To share in some Fat Tire Ale is divine.
Old 04-04-07, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I'm sure the cost of the tape to the shop was less than the labor to put it on, and it sounds like they screwed up in the first place, so they should have offered the new tape at cost, that would have been a good compromise. I would have went for that, and the additional cost to the shop would have been minimal. BUT, the real cost to the shop is not a few dollars, but the reputation of the shop. If they let you walk out of the shop thinking you got ripped off, then you tell your friends, the word spreads quick, and they lost at least one customer, probably more. They eat a few bucks, and the story goes the other way. Also, most shops have a thin margin, Mr. Shopowner has to put food on the table too. They are in business to make money, not to give stuff away.
You made a minor PIA of your self, but you should get what you want, and pay for.
Take the wrenches a six or two, I think that will make everybody feel better.
Old 04-04-07, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not personally a fan of Fat Tire. Pig swill IMHO, with a cool label. I'd prefer either Pilsner Urquell or Stella Artois as better choices of drinkable beer in that same price range, but of course you'd be giving up the bike link in the name of the beer. But what's in a name? Other than that, I can't find fault with your logic.
Old 04-04-07, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Minor point. Are you sure the folks at the shop will appreciate the Fat Tire Ale? Meaning that perhaps some don't drink or they don't drink in the shop (which is actually a pretty good idea... not sure I want someone working on my bike after having a few.) If these are all go, then I think it's a great idea. I know the treat that is appreciated most at my LBS is a pizza just before the time they'd be ordering out for lunch.
Old 04-04-07, 12:40 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
It sounds to me, that they should be buying beer for you.
Old 04-04-07, 01:02 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'm back.

They loved the Fat Tire Ale (or at least the idea of free brew!).

All's well that ends well.

The wrench who did the work spent some time with me exploring ideas on what we could do to alleviate the hand soreness.

And then, another guy decided to show me a new bike that's just come out...the bastard! See my new thread. I'm in LOVE!

Old 04-04-07, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Old 04-04-07, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like to me you've got a bunch of sots working on your bike that will soak up any old bottle of suds so long as they don't have to pay for it themselves. It's a wonder your bike has a stem at all.
Old 04-04-07, 04:30 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
So why didn't they take the bar tape off carefully and re-use it. That is what I would have done if I had done this at home.
Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.
Old 04-04-07, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I gave my shop a gift certificate to the local pizza establishment.