Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   We went up...we went down...We went up..... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/272138-we-went-up-we-went-down-we-went-up.html)

jppe 02-24-07 05:49 PM

We went up...we went down...We went up.....

Five of us did a century today that had more hills than I knew existed in this part of NC. After a while it got downright comical as we were taking side roads just to find a hill. We were way past being tired and we just tried to keep the humor up. The feature climb and also the furtherest point out was Morrow Mtn State Park which has a 700 ft climb over about 3.5 miles. We had a nice "race" to the top and there's no bragging rights to report here!!

Weather was terrific-temps peaked in the high 50's and wind wasn't too much of a factor which helped to make is as enjoyable as possible.

The good news was a wife of one of the riders sagged for us today. Talk about incredible service!! It was a rolling rest stop well stocked with everything you could have wanted and more.

She even brought their 3 kids-what a trooper this lady was!! She would drive ahead about every 10 miles and while we didn't stop too much it was fun just waving to her and the kids. The kids were entertained with 3 movies throughout the day plus watching their Dad-along with getting out and running around in fields waiting on us slugs to come around.

The 5 cyclists were all in pretty good shape which really helped to spread the work around. One is a Cat 1/2 female who just zoomed up the hills. Another is a Cat 3 male who faded on us the last 30 miles but we towed him in.

We wound up with 106 miles and about 8000+ feet of climbing which for this time of the year is not too shabby.

I'm ready for a nap, food, the jacuzzi, pie????

I hope some of you were able to get out and ride over the weekend as well.

DnvrFox 02-24-07 06:43 PM

As always, jppe, you blow me away!

No riding here - snowed last night, heavy winds today about 36F, and a lot of ice around. Not fun for me. Glad you had a great day.

Beverly 02-24-07 06:49 PM

I'm really getting envious of these rides:) Sounds wonderful.

It's 30F here with freezing rain - don't think the Sunday morning breakfast ride will happen again this week.

Mojo Slim 02-24-07 07:41 PM

I did a couple of 65 mile rides last summer with a group that had their own SAG wagon. That is really the way to go. It makes one feels so special. And I discovered sliced pepperoncinis (sp) in turkey sandwiches. Love 'em.

Red Rider 02-24-07 07:50 PM

It was ladies' day on the Gordon Valley loop up here. I logged 54 miles, the last 8 in the rain. So I was cold & wet at the end but it was okay. We need the rain & riding in the rain will make me stronger...right? ;)

I feel for you guys who are still in winter's grip.

Hermes 02-24-07 08:03 PM

My wife and I rode 70 miles with 6000 feet of climbing today on the tandem. We encountered a little rain but not much. Met up with another tandem team who joined us for 35 miles and raced another tandem for a few miles near the finish of our ride. It was a great day for riding and we are ready for Solvang Century in two weeks.

SaiKaiTai 02-24-07 08:37 PM

The feature climb ... has a 700 ft climb over about 3.5 miles. We had a nice "race" to the top and there's no bragging rights to report here!!
Having done a local climb of 600+ feet over 2.2 miles, I can appreciate this.
I've done it 3 times and I've not yet without stopping... more than once (not really my fault)

You are an inspiration.

Bud Bent 02-24-07 08:47 PM

Sounds like a great ride, jppe, but the climbing would have done me in. We had a dust storm today, with 40 mph west winds, so I skipped the club ride I had planned, and played couch potato today. I hope to ride tomorrow.

Jet Travis 02-24-07 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by jppe

I'm ready for a nap, food, the jacuzzi, pie????

Me too, and all I did was read about your ride.

Tom Bombadil 02-24-07 09:12 PM

I thought we had another lyrics contest going on.

I get up, I get down
I get up, I get down
I get up, I get down

"Close to the Edge" by Yes

Big Paulie 02-24-07 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I thought we had another lyrics contest going on.

Don't go there, TB!

stapfam 02-25-07 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by lordoftherings
My wife and I rode 70 miles with 6000 feet of climbing today on the tandem. We encountered a little rain but not much. Met up with another tandem team who joined us for 35 miles and raced another tandem for a few miles near the finish of our ride. It was a great day for riding and we are ready for Solvang Century in two weeks.

In all the rides I have done on the Tandem- I have yet to ride with another one. Some of the organised rides have teams riding but The speed difference is too large to say we ride together. Even on our offroad jaunt- in 2004 there was another pair of nutters entered, but we broke a chain after 5 minutes and it took 80 miles before we saw them again. We only rode together for the Last 200 yard at the finish and that was at the end of some very hard riding and a big downhill to catch them. Tandems are a bit scarce in our area and Offroad ones even rarer.

All these centuries that JPPE is doing is making me weak, and that is just the thought of them. Think I will have to get the mountain bike out this morning and get a 40 miler in. At least that way I will feel as though I have done a century- even if it is a bit shorter.

The Weak Link 02-25-07 10:22 AM

Dang. I rode 27 miles yesterday on a MTB with slicks and thought I was special. Heck, climbed 1732 feet and hadn't been riding for three weeks. I am special, dang it. I guess.

p8rider 02-25-07 01:37 PM

Once again you're setting the pace jppe! Great report and nice effort for so early in the season. Sat. was beautiful.
I only rode my 15 mile exercise ride in the early morning as I had alot of home commitments. Now on Sunday I have time, but of course it is 37 and raining hard.
I'm not complaining really though I managed to get in 79 miles this week just with my morning exercise ride. Being back on my morning schedule of riding just makes me happier.