Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   My wonderful bike! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/272967-my-wonderful-bike.html)

LynnH 02-27-07 11:02 AM

My wonderful bike!

I got my buyers guide from Bicycling mag in the mail last night. I had to sit right down and look, but it acutally didn't take me very long, I had no envy, I absolutely love my bike. The more I ride it the more I like it. I know there are better bikes out there, but just not for me. How lucky can a girl get?!?

Jet Travis 02-27-07 11:11 AM

You're not lucky. You're wise.

Dchiefransom 02-27-07 11:14 AM

I may have to go buy one today and see which 'bents they covered.

Big Paulie 02-27-07 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by LynnH
I got my buyers guide from Bicycling mag in the mail last night. I had to sit right down and look, but it acutally didn't take me very long, I had no envy, I absolutely love my bike. The more I ride it the more I like it.

I've had the same experience with my bike...a Rivendell Rambouillet. When I got it, I hoped it would take care of all my needs. What happened was that it lived up to that hope, plus I've lost complete interest in even looking at other bikes. The only exception is a Colnago C50. So, I know how you feel...and it feels great!!!

Tom Bombadil 02-27-07 11:59 AM

But, but, you didn't say what your wonderful bike is!

It is great to be satisfied with something. I have a few hobbies where I'm quite satisfied with what I have and I don't bother to survey new gear.

But I must admit that there are times when I enjoy the "hunt" for new stuff.

BlazingPedals 02-27-07 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom

If they mentioned any at all, it'd be something utterly boring, like a Sun EZ-1. Reviewing something like my Baron would give them a serious case of speed envy, which of course they could never admit to - the last staff member who wrote glowing words about bents was fired shortly thereafter. I don't even read them for free at the book store anymore - it's just not worth my time.

Big Paulie 02-27-07 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
But, but, you didn't say what your wonderful bike is!

I was up in Oregon last summer on business, and snapped a shot of Lynn as she rode past our Motel 6 suite...I couldn't make out the down tube logo, but nice bike, toots!!!

BluesDawg 02-27-07 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
If they mentioned any at all, it'd be something utterly boring, like a Sun EZ-1. Reviewing something like my Baron would give them a serious case of speed envy, which of course they could never admit to - the last staff member who wrote glowing words about bents was fired shortly thereafter. I don't even read them for free at the book store anymore - it's just not worth my time.

Sorry to bring facts into your rant, but here is what they listed on page 106. Rans Rocket, Catrike 700, Calfee Stiletto. I also remember a feature on recumbents a few issues ago. But of course, you wouldn't have seen that either.

I guess the format they have been using the last few years works to give an overall view of what types of bikes are on the market, but I miss the old style where they listed every model by every brand on the market.

BlazingPedals 02-27-07 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Rans Rocket, Catrike 700, Calfee Stiletto. I also remember a feature on recumbents a few issues ago. But of course, you wouldn't have seen that either.

I'm surprised. And you're right; I wouldn't have seen it. The article could have been condescending trash for all I know - they've done that before, too. Considering their history, it'll take about ten years for them to prove they've changed for the better and I bother with them.

bruce19 02-27-07 08:11 PM

I got my buyers guide from Bicycling mag in the mail last night. I had to sit right down and look, but it acutally didn't take me very long, I had no envy, I absolutely love my bike. The more I ride it the more I like it. I know there are better bikes out there, but just not for me. How lucky can a girl get?!?

When it comes to telling us what the "best" bike is the mags have no clue because they don't know "us." I don't read the bicycle mags and I don't read the motorcycle mags for the same reason. They have no connection with my life.

lhbernhardt 02-28-07 01:14 AM

Reminds me of the time I went to my first Northwest Tandem Rally. Everybody's on Santanas and Co-Motions, all with the same geometry, the long stoker compartment, all with the same lateral tube ending at the rear bb, and with the disk brakes. I was quite happy to be on the obsolete, too-short, steel Kuwahara just because it looked a little different (like tandems looked back in the 70's). The bike has character. And everybody's ogling the shiny new tandems the manufacturers had on display, but I couldn't really have cared less.

I guess at some point you reach some level of maturity with your bikes, and you start to see just how futile is this lust for acquisition of the latest & greatest. This probably starts sometime after you've reached 50. And this is odd for me, because when I was a young racer, I had always wanted a set of expensive Campagnolo Record brakes, but I could never afford them. I figured if I was good enough, I'd win a set, and that really, the only people who could justify owning a set of the best brakes in the world were older guys who had the money, and besides, they had nothing else to live for anyway... So now that I'm one of these older guys, I've got the Campag brakes, but I'm happy with the cheap Centaurs.

- L.

berts 02-28-07 02:58 AM

The one who is truly wealthy is the one content with his lot. I am willing to venture and say that you find satisfaction in many other things about you.

Big Paulie 02-28-07 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
when I was a young racer, I had always wanted a set of expensive Campagnolo Record brakes, but I could never afford them.

A sure sign you're a fast rider...you lust after brakes! I never go fast enough to even think about having to slow down!!!:)

stapfam 02-28-07 10:04 AM

There is only one thing I look at in a bike- Is it better than the one I have got and will it make me a better rider. Not very often that occurs so I stay with the bike I have got. Mind you- I still lust after the Whyte 46 that I test rode 4 years ago but will never be able to afford.

LynnH 02-28-07 10:05 AM

LOL Big Paulie, I really do need to do a pic and post for the rogue gallery, this should be some incentive. I ride a Scott Contessa Speedster, it is lovely.

BluesDawg 02-28-07 11:02 AM

Heck, I don't look at new bikes as a replacement for my current bikes, but as companions.

Big Paulie 02-28-07 11:11 AM

I ride a Scott Contessa Speedster, it is lovely.

No wonder you're so damn happy!

John E 02-28-07 02:46 PM

The secret to true happiness in bicycling (or anything else) is to like what you have. I do. :)

Trsnrtr 02-28-07 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom

Save your money. They covered a Catrike and a maybe a few others and that's it.

Trsnrtr 02-28-07 04:14 PM

Did anybody else's 50+ eyes and brains have trouble telling which pages were advertisements and which pages were actual content?

I gotta agree with BP; the magazine is a waste of trees.

RockyMtnMerlin 02-28-07 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Big Paulie

Hey, she can't ride THAT one. There are no pedals. :D Well I guess she could ride it down hill. ;)

Bud Bent 02-28-07 07:37 PM

That's it........... trash Bicycling just before my free subscription, from my Performance team membership, shows up.

Part of the problem of just starting riding two and a half years ago is the fact that I'm probably going to be lusting after new bikes for quite a while yet.

routergod 02-28-07 07:39 PM

Real nice.Love your bike. I like building bikes. I should sell some of them but am too attached. My work mate asked how I decide which to ride on a given day. When starting my pre-dawn commute its important to choose one with air in the tires! Somedays I'll take a jaunt through the woods or pick the urban technical route. Somedays I get on the road and try to pace with the fast colnagos (sp) and young guys in lycra. I love it when they speed up to lose the old white bearded guy in cargo shorts on a bike older than they are! To get back on track I can always find another bike that I love.

oilman_15106 02-28-07 08:32 PM

That issue is the perfect marketing ploy. Everyone grabs it to see if thier bike was one of choosen ones and what they think of it. Then if it's not listed you think well maybe you should check these other rides out. Used it to kill some time on a 5 hour plane ride today.

The article without any technical details on what Shimano is doing to get the 161 million non bicyle riders back in the game was kind of interesting.

Dchiefransom 02-28-07 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Big Paulie

Hmmmm, nice white bike. Who's trying to get rid of those white bike shoes********************