Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for easy tire changing tool?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Any suggestions for easy tire changing tool?

Old 02-28-07, 09:20 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all who have contributed. Lots of interesting tools out there. Will have to pick one, or two, up, as they are pretty cheap.

When I was a teenager, I always used a screwdriver. I remember putting one through the side of a tube once.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-28-07, 09:30 PM
dauphin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sour01
+1 on the Quick Stik. It is all I have ever used. Does a great job and easy to carry.
+100000
Old 02-28-07, 10:00 PM
LastPlace

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget that I suggested putting a bit of Vaseline on the last part of the rim you are using the......TIRE BEAD JACK.....to put the tire back on with. You can also just rub the Vaseline on the tire instead of the rim.

With the......TIRE BEAD JACK.....it practically mounts itself.

Can't believe I just wrote that.

Seriously, good luck with whatever you decide on using.
Old 02-28-07, 10:49 PM
OrangeOkie

Bikes: Canondale LL Bean, Criterium; both MY Schwinn Volare's, Voyageur 11.8; Holdsworth; Bob Jackson; Raleigh Super Course Mk II and Super Course Racing USA; Trek 1500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
small bottle of soapy water for lube.
Old 02-28-07, 11:22 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for the Crank Bros Speed Lever. While only $5, mine broke and they replaced it. It comes with a lifetime warranty!
Old 02-28-07, 11:47 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Some people are using the K-Alloy stem to bring the bars closer.
Checked my bag of parts that I picked up at the Swap Meet in January. Had an adjustable stem in there, which I got for $3. Will try it if I have problems.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 03-01-07, 10:12 AM
Cassave

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick Stik.
For some of those impossibly tight combinations of tire and rim I'll use a single steel lever and the quick stik.
Old 03-01-07, 07:35 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Tom, riding a LWB bent (Sun EZ Sport) raised hell with the tendons in my fingers and forearms. The problem was I had to extend my arms to reach the H-bars. The stock ones were too short. I had some new bars made which are 4 1/2 inches longer than Suns bars. This allowed my upper arms to be vertical while riding, which solved the problem.
Another question about this off-topic subject. Did you have this problem while riding with the seatback adjusted to vertical or near-vertical? I've heard of people having some problems getting the handlebars right when they are riding in a reclined position. But the Sun bents aren't designed to be ridden with the seatbacks down.

I suspect my situation could be a bit different given my short legs too. My shoulders will be 3.5"-4" closer to the handlebars than someone with an inseam of 32". Also since my upper torso is longer than normal for my legs, this may also help.

I only wish I could start finding out for myself. My trail is buried under more than a foot of sloppy, wet snow.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 03-01-07 at 10:30 PM.