Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

When daffodils bloom, and peepers peep

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-07, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can spring be far behind? You do know spring peepers never look through ice don't you? And while I'm at it, if I absolutely positively have to have a headwind in March, let it be from the South, like today. Thankful again to be alive and seeing the signs I saw.
Old 03-06-07, 06:04 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in Cleveland this week, and this is what I saw:

Tuesday
21° / 10°
Wednesday
31° / 19°

Send some of the out of the south wind this way please!
Old 03-06-07, 08:41 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Blue skies and mid 70's here in the Central Valley at the foot of the Sierra where snow can be seen on the peaks. Late afternoon ride past green pastures, fresh born baby goats, curious cows............yes, Terrierman, life is good indeed.
Old 03-06-07, 08:53 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
Blue skies and mid 70's here in the Central Valley at the foot of the Sierra where snow can be seen on the peaks. Late afternoon ride past green pastures, fresh born baby goats, curious cows............yes, Terrierman, life is good indeed.
Ah green pastures in California... I remember, that will last what? Three weeks?

But, I do miss the year long cycling season...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-06-07, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MichiganMike
I am in Cleveland this week, and this is what I saw:

Tuesday
21° / 10°
Wednesday
31° / 19°

Send some of the out of the south wind this way please!
Hold on to your hat, we're going to get another blast of snow tonight. I'm about 35 mi. south of you.
Old 03-06-07, 09:22 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No peepers out here. The ponds & lakes are still hard frozen. The ice fisherman still have their fishing huts up on the lakes. Last night it was 8 degrees when I took the dog out. And I've got about 15" of snow in my yard. So if there are any daffodils up, then it will be a while until the snow melts down to where I can see them.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 03-06-07, 09:30 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
Ah green pastures in California... I remember, that will last what? Three weeks?

We in CA learn to sieze our green while we can. A winding ride right now up into Del Puerto canyon whose rolling emerald hills remind of Ireland are a dreamy vision that must tide us over after May when all turns to brown. Yet, there is a semi-desert beauty that makes the cool shadowy oasis of the Knights Ferry General Store (est. 1848) with its dark wood floors and pre WW2 refridgeration cabinets holding Eskimo Pies and the tangy echoes of Nehi Orange a restful goal through the shimmering road mirages to get there. Each place has its own character-- and charm. Even, maybe, San Diego.

Last edited by CrossChain; 03-06-07 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-06-07, 11:12 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
We in CA learn to sieze our green while we can. A winding ride right now up into Del Puerto canyon whose rolling emerald hills remind of Ireland are a dreamy vision that must tide us over after May when all turns to brown. Yet, there is a semi-desert beauty that makes the cool shadowy oasis of the Knights Ferry General Store (est. 1848) with its dark wood floors and pre WW2 refridgeration cabinets holding Eskimo Pies and the tangy echoes of Nehi Orange a restful goal through the shimmering road mirages to get there. Each place has its own character-- and charm. Even, maybe, San Diego.
As everyone knows, San Diego is America's Finest City (financial scandal notwithstanding). And to think I moved here from Cleveland, the Best Location in the Nation, right, Louis?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-07-07, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
As everyone knows, San Diego is America's Finest City (financial scandal notwithstanding). And to think I moved here from Cleveland, the Best Location in the Nation, right, Louis?
The "Best Location in the Nation". Ha, I don't know who made up that slogan, it's been around forever. I don't get up that way too often, but I understand there have been some improvments. It's gonna take a lot to live up to that line.

When did you leave Cleveland?
Old 03-07-07, 06:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think more people know Cleveland as "The Mistake on the Lake" than "The Best Location in the Nation". Don't they?
Old 03-07-07, 06:59 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
Can spring be far behind? You do know spring peepers never look through ice don't you? And while I'm at it, if I absolutely positively have to have a headwind in March, let it be from the South, like today. Thankful again to be alive and seeing the signs I saw.
Right now, I could do without your bragging! Our spring never comes until about April 15 or so.
Old 03-07-07, 07:04 AM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think more people know Cleveland as "The Mistake on the Lake" than "The Best Location in the Nation". Don't they?
Just here for work this week. I travel all over, and the two best places I have found for biking (paths/trails) are Denver and Chicago. Washington DC is pretty nice too. I drive everywhere and just bring a bike with me.

I like your location too Terrierman. I used to have to go to Springfield MO a couple of times a year. I'd stay out in Branson and just drive up to Springfield each day. Very pretty area. Some nice roads to bike on. Never tried that trail you have there in Springfield, though I wanted to.

I want to try the Canal Path here, but the weather never cooperates when I come.
Old 03-07-07, 10:46 AM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I always look forward to cycling in the country in mid-March each year. The daffodil show is just getting started, and I'll take my annual bike ride to this little country festival just out of Eugene that celebrates the change of seasons
https://www.junctioncity.com/news/daffodils/index.htm
Old 03-07-07, 11:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichiganMike
Just here for work this week. I travel all over, and the two best places I have found for biking (paths/trails) are Denver and Chicago. Washington DC is pretty nice too. I drive everywhere and just bring a bike with me.

I like your location too Terrierman. I used to have to go to Springfield MO a couple of times a year. I'd stay out in Branson and just drive up to Springfield each day. Very pretty area. Some nice roads to bike on. Never tried that trail you have there in Springfield, though I wanted to.

I want to try the Canal Path here, but the weather never cooperates when I come.
I'm about halfway between Springfield and Branson. It is pretty, thanks and you're right about really having some decent (read little used paved country roads) to bike. I'm able to take a 20+ mile route and spend maybe 1/2 mile on a major highway, the rest is the "old highway" with lots of off shoots I can take too. Springfield now has several hike/bike trails, they call them greenways now. Sounds better than trail I guess. Galloway Trail follows Galloway Creek as it meanders through town, passes through a park and connects to a Missouri Department of Conservation nature trail (no bikes or dogs on the nature trail) and to the first section of the James River Trail which now is only a mile but will expand with the proceeds of a recently passed 1/4 cent sales tax initiative. Together they add up to a nice little 13 mile loop that is always fun to ride and easy on the eyes. There is also the South Creek trail that follows uhhh... South Creek through town and out to Wilson's Creek Battlefield. It's a little more urban in parts, but more wild in others. Some real hills on the south end of South Creek, where one goes up to the bluff above Wilson's Creek. I understand that South Creek will be better connected to the Battlefield section soon and extended as well. You can get a 15 mile or so loop in there today, looking forward to having more of that to ride too. There's also the Frisco Highline that is the rails to trails bike path that connects Springfield to Bolivar, which is a 30 + mile one way trip. Right now the Sac river bridge is out due to yahoos burning it, but it's supposed to be repaired this year.

So there are a few decent dedicated riding areas too, along with the nice country roads. If you ever get back this way again and care to go for a ride, let me know, my schedule is pretty flexible and I'm sure I could work something out.
Old 03-07-07, 11:53 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Todays weather was absolutely perfect- Up in the high 50's- slight breeze and brilliant sun. Got home to find my lawn still under water from the ceaseless rain that has fallen since Sunday- and guess what the weather is doing till the weekend? Persisting down again.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-07-07, 11:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh...I have been watching for this in my neck of the woods for the last two weeks. This morning was the first time that I have heard the birds chirping in the pre-dawn. And the daddy ducks were chasing the momma ducks when I cut through the park. Spring has now officially sprung.
Old 03-07-07, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Terrierman
Yeah, they're trying to bury that one.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the world renowned Cleveland Orchestra are both local attractions. I'd love to visit the Rock Hall but driving in Cleveland is not my cup of tea anymore.
Old 03-07-07, 01:00 PM
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see snow.
Old 03-07-07, 01:58 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
... Our spring never comes until about April 15 or so.
"The winter is forbidden 'til December;
and exits March the Second, on the dot!
By order, summer lingers through September,
In Camelot!"
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-07-07, 02:00 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
... driving in Cleveland is not my cup of tea anymore.
I can't think of ANY large central business district in which I would enjoy driving. In highly urbanized areas, my bike, my walking shoes, and public transit are freedom, and a car is an albatross.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-07-07, 02:33 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I'm just back in from 24 miler at lunch time. It was 60 F when I left and 72 when I got back. The arm warmers came off about halfway through. Hardly any wind. A great day to be alive.

All my daffodils bloomed within the last week or so and I may have to start mowing the grass this week, but the mesquite trees have yet to bud.

Every day above ground is a good day !!!
Old 03-07-07, 04:49 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Right now, I could do without your bragging! Our spring never comes until about April 15 or so.
Geez, what do you consider to be spring?

Your average high temperature is already over 50. By April 11th it hits 60. And your forecast for the next 7 days looks wonderful.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 03-07-07, 04:53 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Geez, what do you consider to be spring?

Your average high temperature is already over 50. By April 11th it hits 60. And your forecast for the next 7 days looks wonderful.

Spring
Spring is a lightweight container, with wrappers that make it easy to use many different services and frameworks. Lightweight containers accept any JavaBean, instead of specific types of components.
"Spring is more than just a 'lightweight container,'" says Justin Gehtland. "It allows Java developers who are building J2EE apps to get to the heart of their real domain problems and stop spending so much time on the minutiae of providing services to their domain." Gehtland and Bruce Tate are coauthors of Spring: A Developer's Notebook, a no-nonsense book that will get you up to speed quickly on the new Spring open source framework. Spring: A Developer's Notebook includes examples and practical applications that demonstrate exactly how to use Spring, in ten chapters of code-intensive labs.
Old 03-07-07, 05:42 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
The "Best Location in the Nation". Ha, I don't know who made up that slogan, it's been around forever. I don't get up that way too often, but I understand there have been some improvments. It's gonna take a lot to live up to that line.

When did you leave Cleveland?
I was ridden out of Cleveland on a rail, tarred and feathered, in 1973. Some family still there, but I'd never move back. It has improved, however. I was impressed with the new downtown a few years ago. But what happened to Halle's? Higbees? Baileys? Uncle Bills? Hockey?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-07-07, 06:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cardiologist gave me the OK today! Tomorrow is supposed to be 70 degress and light southerly breeze so I will attempt the 10 miles around Lake Hefner.
I am a bit apprehensive since I had my heart attack while riding around Lake Hefner, but looking forward to "getting back on the horse"........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.