Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Chainring Groupings for Michigan MetroParks

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-16-07, 12:01 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trying to flip a coin on the preferred chainring group for my 50 cm Rivendell Saluki. I'm 5'3", my PBH is a smidgen under 76 cm, and my SH is 64.5 cm.

The bike is a bit on the heavy side, lugged steel frame, and it may wind up with more weight: fenders, a small rack, and small bag on rack for metropark whatnots, and for possible credit card tours.

The majority of bike riding on this bike would be on pavement in metroparks. When doing club rides in the metropark, there are some segments where I would need to have a 15 MPH pace. But on the average, I suppose a 30 mile club ride in the metropark will have an average between 12 & 14 MPH. I've only ridden in one metropark, so I can not really mention whether or not metroparks in Michigan will typically have any significant inclines.

I did a 25 mile club ride Sunday on my Trek 730 (see avatar below), which has an 11-28 cassette with 170 mm - 42/34/24. These were comfortable gears, but it was a strain to keep a sustained speed of 14 MPH. I should add I was only doing about a 65-70 RPM cadence, until I get the engine tuned up to an eventual 80 RPM cadence.

The Saluki will be on 650B x 33mm Maxy Fasty tires, the rear cassette will be Ultegra 12-27 (9 speed), and the following crank options are all Sugino XD2 cranks:
* 165 mm - 46/36/24
* 170 mm - 46/36/24
* 170 mm - 48/36/26

Any advice on selection (and reasoning on selection) of crank and chainrings, based on the bike ... bike weight ... bike accessories ... 650b wheels ... 50-year age ... and the riding style I described?
Old 03-16-07, 12:41 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Our tandem is heavy and it is offroad with 26" wheels but we also ride it on the road with slicks We utilise an 11/32 rear cassette but that is down to you. Front however is 48/36/24. That 48 is higher than your current 42 and with a cadence of 100 at 48/11 with very small slicks on- we get 30mph. You are on 650 tyres which will probably be a larger diameter so speed at the same cadence and gearing will be higher. On the road- we may use the 32 but that will only be on the middle ring on the front and it will have to be a severe hill. We do use the granny but have yet to use the 24/32 gearing.

48/36/26 will probably be the best gearing for you- and if you want lower then you could fit a 24 granny ring. 48/12 will give you a sensible top speed and gear- wheras a 46 might still be a little low. Length of cranks is up to you but at 5'3"- 165 or 170 will be suitable. it is just personal choice- I am 5'6" and I use 175's on all my bikes.

Looks as thouigh you are putting some thought into this bike and incidentally- I use the Sugino XD cranks on the Tandem. The Cranks are strong but the Steel Chainrings that came with mine were not that good. Simple enough to rectify when you wear One of the chainrings out and that is to change to a good Quality Alloy ring, but you will have to change all 3 of them.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-17-07, 05:27 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad
Trying to flip a coin on the preferred chainring group for my 50 cm Rivendell Saluki. I'm 5'3", my PBH is a smidgen under 76 cm, and my SH is 64.5 cm.

The bike is a bit on the heavy side, lugged steel frame, and it may wind up with more weight: fenders, a small rack, and small bag on rack for metropark whatnots, and for possible credit card tours.

The majority of bike riding on this bike would be on pavement in metroparks. When doing club rides in the metropark, there are some segments where I would need to have a 15 MPH pace. But on the average, I suppose a 30 mile club ride in the metropark will have an average between 12 & 14 MPH. I've only ridden in one metropark, so I can not really mention whether or not metroparks in Michigan will typically have any significant inclines.

I did a 25 mile club ride Sunday on my Trek 730 (see avatar below), which has an 11-28 cassette with 170 mm - 42/34/24. These were comfortable gears, but it was a strain to keep a sustained speed of 14 MPH. I should add I was only doing about a 65-70 RPM cadence, until I get the engine tuned up to an eventual 80 RPM cadence.

The Saluki will be on 650B x 33mm Maxy Fasty tires, the rear cassette will be Ultegra 12-27 (9 speed), and the following crank options are all Sugino XD2 cranks:
* 165 mm - 46/36/24
* 170 mm - 46/36/24
* 170 mm - 48/36/26

Any advice on selection (and reasoning on selection) of crank and chainrings, based on the bike ... bike weight ... bike accessories ... 650b wheels ... 50-year age ... and the riding style I described?
Motor, Lennard Zinn shares a formula he uses in crank sizing, to multiply the inseam by 0.216. For you this gives 164 mm, so that at least indicates foy you to choose the 165 mm option. You might not want to go that way if you are not used to a short crank arm, however.

The short crank does not affect cadence, but it does affect knee pressure. the torque developed is proportional to crank arm length and leg pressure, and if you need a certain amount of speed, you need a certain amount of torque, and then if the crank arm gets lower the force on the pedal must increase and thus the pressure in your knee must increase.

For us older guys we need to protect our knees unless we are really solid in our base training. I am not, so I would bias gear selection toward bigger rear cogs and smaller front chainwheels. to make a given speed, you'll need a higher cadence.

So of the choices you give, my discussion leads to 165/46/36/24.

With your wheels and the 11/28 that gives you a high of around 109 inches, which is certainly more than I need to pull. Your low end will be 22 inches, which is real low by any yardstick. Kensington and Island lake have some short sharp hills, so with that bike as equipped you might really want such a low gear at least early in the season. In the flat Metroparks like the ones that go from Romulus to Flat Rock, you won't need such a low range, but it'll be good to have it in reserve if you get tired. I would want it.

Road Fan